(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Pinside should approach the women's leagues with a questionnaire and ask all the members why most of them don't come to pinside.

Amen. Great suggestion.

If the IFPA can form a women's advisory board, why not have a diversity advisory board on Pinside? I cannot speak for robin , but we all know he's gone above and beyond developing the Pinside ecosystem. I've never seen another message board infrastructure as robust, and we're lucky to have him at the helm. With that said, PERHAPS he would be willing to entertain such an advisory board for Pinside?

I can feel the strain of the volunteer group of mods buckling under this suggestion of potential extra work, but stay with me. Perhaps when you...

Quoted from cait001:

...approach the women's leagues with a questionnaire and ask all the members why most of them don't come to pinside...

...MAYBE some of those questions could include something like,

"Would you be willing to serve on a Pinside Diversity Board in and advisement capacity to the website?"

>>>OR EVEN!!!<<<

"Would you consider applying to become a Pinside moderator?"

...and maybe, JUST MAYBE, we could turn the tides here a little in order to make this a more inclusive space. From some of the comments in this thread alone, it's obviously needed.

#102 3 years ago

Sorry if this comes across as insensitive or egotistical, but what does this have to do with pinball? Of course nobody should be actively excluded or feel unwelcome in the hobby, but I don't see the point in trying to raise the number of female/black/gay/whatever pinball players specifically. This does not make the community better. I'm not a fan of forced diversity. So what if this is a hobby that primarily seems to interest white males?

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

I'm sure it's because most of them are afraid they will experience sexism or have to deal with inappropriate comments. Keep in mind these would come from a select few and do not represent the majority on this site. The majority do not want blamed or labeled for the select few morons that can't behave properly. I have been harassed by other races and sexes in my lifetime and do not blame or expect those races and sexes as a whole to apologize or hold guilt for a few bad people.

I don’t think OP is asking you to apologize or feel guilty about the misbehavior of other men that play pinball. What would be the point of that? I think she is asking you to call out the misbehavior when you see it and not dismiss it as harmless or turn a blind eye. The idea being that if everyone’s on the same team, regardless of whether the bad behavior affects them directly, then it’s more likely to stop.

#104 3 years ago

Quick FYI, I have disabled post approval mode, I trust everyone can be respectful with their opinions. Be nice. Thanks!

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

I'm sure it's because most of them are afraid they will experience sexism or have to deal with inappropriate comments. Keep in mind these would come from a select few and do not represent the majority on this site.

This is the "few bad apples" argument, but you gotta finish the rest of the saying: "spoils the barrel".

I believe that the bulk of people on Pinside are good people.

But imagine telling someone "hey, come to this event, you'll only get harassed by a few of the people, the rest are cool". They'd probably look at you like you were a crazy person. Nobody wants that.

Quoted from manadams:

The majority do not want blamed or labeled for the select few morons that can't behave properly.

For sure, that's fair.

But I think if you don't want to be lumped in with morons you have to speak up when they act moronic. You can't be silent and just think people should assume you're a good person and not down with that nonsense. Call it out.

Instead of saying "hey, come to this event, you'll only get harassed by a few of the people, the rest are cool" let's flip that around some. What if instead it was:

"Hey, come to this event, the people are cool. And if anyone bothers you we're going to kick them the f— out and tell them they're never welcome again, we have your back at all times."

That's what I'm down for. I'm not looking to label people, or have boring discussions about white burdens. I'm just saying hey folks, if one of us is acting like an ass, let's step up and show them the door so they don't make everyone look bad.

As I've said before, when talking about the fighting game community, it has jerks too. 100% not perfect utopia, it's a community with struggles, and it doesn't always get it right. But it's pretty good about calling out people when they cross the line, say some racist shit or whatever.

That helps a lot, I think it's something we'd benefit from emulating more. But you can't just rely on a couple people to be the gatekeepers ("white knights"), and get a rep for always complaining. Everyone needs to step up and back them up. Remove the rotten apples before they spread that rot to everyone else.

Edit: fosaisu said it simpler than me

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inpw:

I don't see the point in trying to raise the number of female/black/gay/whatever pinball players specifically. This does not make the community better.

Yes, it does. It makes the community better. It's honestly that simple.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inpw:

Sorry if this comes across as insensitive or egotistical, but what does this have to do with pinball? Of course nobody should be actively excluded or feel unwelcome in the hobby, but I don't see the point in trying to raise the number of female/black/gay/whatever pinball players specifically. This does not make the community better. I'm not a fan of forced diversity. So what if this is a hobby that primarily seems to interest white males?

what about the discussion linked in the first post was "forced diversity"? It is people from diverse backgrounds talking about their love of pinball and experiences in the pinball community.
    What do you think is inherent about pinball that makes it intrinsically white?

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

But imagine telling someone "hey, come to this event, you'll only get harassed by a few of the people, the rest are cool". They'd probably look at you like you were a crazy person. Nobody wants that.

This is an important aspect of the women's leagues. Lots of times going to regular pinball meetups, women brief each other as to who there has the loose hands, who there makes rape jokes, who there treats women like kids and/or sexpots, etc
    The women's leagues are a bit of a reprieve from that, for the most part. (note: not saying women are perfect! but the difference of atmosphere is palpable)

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I wish we could highlight this as a key post.

#110 3 years ago

Won’t end until we all look very similar which by some models may take tens of thousands of years

Look to ancient Asian countries which have been breeding for thousands of years. USA is simply too young

Do your part, make a mixed race baby, I’m one, I made 2...they’re beautiful...just water down the white man until we’re one man/woman

Until then looting targets, burning down Wendy’s and burying martyrs in gold caskets ain’t gonna change a damn thing

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

or have boring discussions about white burdens.

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

just water down the white man until we’re one man/woman

I don't think there is actual chance for constructive discussions when comments like these come out. I'll drain the thread like the op recommended and welcome diversity like I always have.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I wish we could highlight this as a key post.

I just did.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

My wife is British, and didn't grow up learning about the history of slavery and...

Well she should be very familiar with the idea of colonization and white privilege then

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

We're just going to have to disagree. I think the only factor that influences the 'quality' of a community is the personality of the people involved, not their race, sexuality or gender. Ergo, a white male community is neither better nor worse than a purely black female or a mixed one.

Quoted from cait001:

what about the discussion linked in the first post was "forced diversity"? It is people from diverse backgrounds talking about their love of pinball and experiences in the pinball community.
    What do you think is inherent about pinball that makes it intrinsically white?

Well, the fact that a separate panel seems to be needed to highlight the issue kind of tells me that it's not a development that comes naturally. If it were, nobody would feel inclined to talk about it. It just wouldn't be a topic.
    Anyway, don't think pinball is intrinsically white any more than basketball is intrinsically black. It just happens to attract a certain demographic. If women or blacks discover it for themselves, great. If not, who cares.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inpw:

We're just going to have to disagree. I think the only factor that influences the 'quality' of a community is the personality of the people involved, not their race, sexuality or gender. Ergo, a white male community is neither better nor worse than a purely black female or a mixed one.

Well, the fact that a separate panel seems to be needed to highlight the issue kind of tells me that it's not a development that comes naturally. If it were, nobody would feel inclined to talk about it. It just wouldn't be a topic.
    Anyway, don't think pinball is intrinsically white any more than basketball is intrinsically black. It just happens to attract a certain demographic. If women or blacks discover it for themselves, great. If not, who cares.

This is pretty much spot on. People arent scared away from pinball because its dominated by white males. They don't play it because they simply don't want to. Most white males dont want to play pinball either.

I want there to be more men and women both in pinball because I want the hobby to grow. I'm not worried about the diversity of pinball, I'm far more worried about the survival of pinball.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from Inpw:

A community is built from people, and their experiences, viewpoints, and backgrounds.

All white men are not the same. But you will definitely get a greater diversity of experience and opinion when you add other people who aren't that. Women have different life experiences than men. One man and one woman could have very similar interests, but if you were to take 100 men and 100 women you'd see a lot of things that don't overlap.

That's the point, it's not about individuals, it's about what happens when you get larger groups together.

A more diverse community has more to share. If all you care about it is being here to talk about playfield dimples every day then yeah, you probably don't care who you're talking to. I'm interested in more than that, because that's tremendously boring. Pinside is more than tech bulletins. Our stories and lives are part of the mix too.

A more diverse community is better. A community that shuts down racists and sexists and assholes is better. I don't think these are particularly difficult concepts.

Quoted from Inpw:

If not, who cares.

I care. If you really don't care then you won't have a problem with other people making the efforts to change things.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

A community that shuts down racists and sexists and assholes is better. I don't think these are particularly difficult concepts.

Agreed. This has nothing to do with diversity, though. The most diverse community can be full of assholes. Also, blacks can be racist and women can be sexist. Again, it comes down to personality, not to race, sexuality or gender.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Won’t end until we all look very similar which by some models may take tens of thousands of years
    Look to ancient Asian countries which have been breeding for thousands of years. USA is simply too young
    Do your part, make a mixed race baby, I’m one, I made 2...they’re beautiful...just water down the white man until we’re one man/woman
    Until then looting targets, burning down Wendy’s and burying martyrs in gold caskets ain’t gonna change a damn thing

Your statement leads me to believe you do not understand the meaning of “diversity”

#119 3 years ago

The people here claiming to not be racist, sexist... you sure seem to be making quite the fuss over other peoples' attempts to bring pinball to more people. If you're not racist, why do these actions bother you so much? Funny how only the same few folks seem to have a problem with outreach.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

The people here claiming to not be racist, sexist... you sure seem to be making quite the fuss over other peoples' attempts to bring pinball to more people. If you're not racist, why do these actions bother you so much? Funny how only the same few folks seem to have a problem with outreach.

Why do we want keep one group's opinion locked down if this a frank discussion of diversity? People not agreeing with everything should not allow others to label them as racist or sexist.

You will not make inroads with the population you which to enlighten unless a two way dialog exists.

So, what can we do to increase diversity in pinball? As opposed to just discussing its existence, what ideas do people have to make pinball a more welcoming experience?

Posting this from my own personal experience and not as a Pinside moderator.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

You will not make inroads with the population you which to enlighten unless a two way dialog exists.

That is why I asked them, who do other peoples' actions to bring more diverse people into pinball bother them so much?

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Why do we want keep one group's opinion locked down if this a frank discussion of diversity?

Because 90% it doesn't add anything to the discussion.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

That is why I asked them, who do other peoples' actions to bring more diverse people into pinball bother them so much?

Nobody likes to be labeled.( i.e Privileged White Male) Painting a broad brush on any group can only cause more issues and not help solve an existing problem.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Nobody likes to be labeled.( i.e Privileged White Male) Painting a broad brush on any group can only cause more issues and not help solve an existing problem.

I didn't label anyone. I didn't call anyone a privileged white male. I asked people who are claiming not to be racist or sexist, why they are making such a fuss over other peoples' attempt to defeat racism and sexism.

If that question makes someone uncomfortable, perhaps some introspect is in order.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Your statement leads me to believe you do not understand the meaning of “diversity”

I do, it’s just an unsustainable concept

Try this at home

Take a glass of water

Now get a food coloring kit and drop in some black, brown, yellow, etc...

Sure you’ll have some diversity at first swirling through the glass, but you will ultimately have a solution of perfect balance and equality...utopia realized!

As far as the sexism part...well I live with 3 women and have been fully emasculated...I’m not sure what I am at this point

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I didn't label anyone. I didn't call anyone a privileged white male. I asked people who are claiming not to be racist or sexist, why they are making such a fuss over other peoples' attempt to defeat racism and sexism.
    If that question makes someone uncomfortable, perhaps some introspect is in order.

I was not responding directly to you but to earlier posts in this thread and broad strokes they were painting.

I think discussion of this subject is great, but by excluding the group you hope to change, how can you accomplish the task?

The law stated that some should be excluded because 90 % do not add to the discussion. What about the 10 % who may have good feedback and ideas on how to deal with the problem?

Exclusion does not equal diversity.

Again, my own opinion, no reflection on Robin or Pinside.

#127 3 years ago

quick Q: are there any parallels with Diversity in Pinball if we contrast to Diversity in Golf?
    Golf is another kind of activity that is predominantly well-off people, and it has a much more drastic history of whites-only (and men-only) clubhouses.

I just googled "Diversity in golf" and it seems to be a hot topic there that is being taken seriously at the highest organizations and publications
    https://golf.com/news/how-can-golf-do-better-roundtable-discussion/
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-golf-can-do-to-embrace-diversity-poeple-of-color
    http://wearegolf.org/diversity-task-force/
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-golf-pgachamp-diversity/diversity-remains-golfs-biggest-challenge-says-pga-of-america-ceo-idUSKBN1KT2OE
    https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2020/06/17/golf-leaders-wrestle-with-how-to-speed-up-diversity-time-of-unrest-joseph-bramlett-tiger-woods-harold-varner.html

I'm not a golf person, so just kind of throwing that out there

#128 3 years ago

Cait, do you think that the high cost of entry into the hobby may be part of the diversity problem?

I can buy used golf clubs for 100$ from Goodwill and play on a public course cheap.

Pinball requires a much bigger investment and also knowing someone that can service a broken pinball machine. There are no games on route near me, so I had to purchase my first pinball machine and figure out how to keep it going. (Thanks to Pinside)

Could the age of the participants in the hobby also be another issue? I don't see a large number of youth attracted to the hobby.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Cait, do you think that the high cost of entry into the hobby may be part of the diversity problem?
    I can buy used golf clubs for 100$ from Goodwill and play on a public course cheap.
    Pinball requires a much bigger investment and also knowing someone that can service a broken pinball machine. There are no games on route near me, so I had to purchase my first pinball machine and figure out how to keep it going. (Thanks to Pinside)
    Could the age of the participants in the hobby also be another issue? I don't see a large number of youth attracted to the hobby.

Plenty of location-only players. Assuming that all the locations aren't closed, of course! A lot of people only play at bars and arcades precisely because they can't afford / don't have the space for a home machine.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Plenty of location-only players. Assuming that all the locations aren't closed, of course! A lot of people only play at bars and arcades precisely because they can't afford / don't have the space for a home machine.

True, and you don't need to own a game to play in leagues or tournaments either.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Pinball requires a much bigger investment and also knowing someone that can service a broken pinball machine

As others have said, location play is available to anyone with a couple bucks. Also, you don't need to be wealthy to buy a fixer-upper pin and use the internet to learn how to fix it yourself. Your assumptions are actually part of the problem.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

As others have said, location play is available to anyone with a couple bucks. Also, you don't need to be wealthy to buy a fixer-upper pin and use the internet to learn how to fix it yourself. Your assumptions are actually part of the problem.

My assumptions are fact in the area that I live. Operators have all but given up on my area. There is only one pinball machine locally in a movie theater.

Don't think I am part of the problem. I did a leisure learning class with the local university to promote pinball in my area. I invited total strangers into my game room and allowed them to play and discuss the hobby. These folks were then invited to every tournament we had in the area moving forward.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

My assumptions are fact in the area that I live.

True, but I dont think that has anything to do with diversity.
    You kind of went of target there.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

That “label” isn’t an insult. Its not painting any group. Its context is in the discussion of society and systemic issues. Once again: Privilege just means there are bad things based on race & gender that happen to other people on a daily basis that never happen to us.

I am a privileged white male. Saying it, hearing others say it, and accepting the concept doesn’t raise my blood pressure. The concept isn’t a personal attack...it’s just the nature of our society & its history. Learn what the term means, and take it into account when discussing issues of society. It only causes more issues if you get stubborn about it and push back against the reality of it.

#135 3 years ago

Some of the posts on Pinside lately have been a little disillusioning to me, and this topic is among the lowest of the low points.

C’mon, everyone - we can do SO much better than to play right into the worst stereotypes about Pinside and its members! Given all the current events unfolding and changing hour to hour, this podcast SHOULD have been universally applauded in these parts!

A few earlier posts in particular (fortunately, the worst was deleted) were downright despicable, almost unbelievable in their breathtaking arrogance, and resulted in total loss of respect on my part (and I am sure many others).

What we have seen recently is mainstream culture finally starting to awaken to the sad reality that the “shining city on the hill” shines a lot more brightly on some than others, and beginning to seriously look deeper into how to begin changing course.

Many organizations/businesses/groups/institutions/INDIVIDUALS have been inspired to take a hard look at getting their own houses in order, and for our community to actively seek to do the same is not only appropriate, but essential to fulfilling the promise of what this hobby SHOULD fundamentally offer, which is to serve as a stimulating diversion (quite important for mental health) that has at least some universal appeal on various levels and therefore can contribute meaningfully to the larger societal effort to tear these barriers down.

I usually steer clear of hot-button topics (though this one should not have been controversial on any level), but I am on the membership roll here and don’t feel it’s appropriate remain silent - silence and excessive meekness is half the reason we are in this mess, and it’s time for everyone to take a stand!

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I am a privileged white male

I think it's easier to say that white males have been privileged all throughout history. For many centuries, that privilege was outright coded into law. Repealing the laws hasn't erased it completely, at least not yet.

Imagine life as a video game.. right now, the difficulty settings would broadly reflect:

-Easy- White male
    -Medium- Colored male or white female
    -Hard- Colored female

Add in bonus difficulty for being disabled, autistic, LGBTQ, atheist, etc.

People for BLM, women's rights, etc. are simply trying to make it one difficulty level for all.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

My golf Q was just me tossing an idea out there, but I think it lines up with pinball pretty ok in that regard.
    Pinball is a pricey hobby, but you can also sometimes find a place to play for a few quarters. BUT, proximity to arcades/barcades correlates with more urban living, which correlates to higher rents, etc.
    Likewise with golf, you can absolutely buy a cheap set of clubs and play, but proximity to courses is correlated to wealth, access to courses often requires a car (which correlates to wealth,) etc etc.

#138 3 years ago

but outside of the particulars of golf vs pinball, are there any lessons we can learn from diversity in golf to help promote diversity in pinball?
    I'm hoping there are at least some golf-culture types in this thread.
    At the very least, I think it's a positive sign that both pinball and golf are having these discussions and putting some of their energy in that direction.

Also, talking about it like this, reminds me of
    vs golf marquee (resized).jpgvs golf marquee (resized).jpg
    vs pinball marquee (resized).jpgvs pinball marquee (resized).jpg

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Imagine life as a video game.. right now, the difficulty settings would broadly reflect:
    -Easy- White male
    -Medium- Colored male or white female
    -Hard- Colored female

That’s almost exactly how the South Park game starts...the difficulty level slider makes your skin lighter or darker. They get it.

#140 3 years ago

Hi Jodester

Thanks for chiming in on this thread. And thanks for being a mod, too. A thankless job if ever there was one. Volunteer work for not much in return. Impossible to please everyone. So...thank you...for showing up to this party.

If you don't mind, I'd like to take a moment to talk about a couple of things. You asked...

Quoted from Jodester:

Why do we want keep one group's opinion locked down if this a frank discussion of diversity?

I have a difficult time with this argument when there are really ugly posts popping up saying things like:

Quoted from Gunnut40:

Anyone going to listen to this crap?

Quoted from robotron:

liberal progressives HAVE to destroy everything. always an agenda.

Quoted from CubeSnake:

Some people wake up each & every day and need to find something to be offended about. That certainly applies here. Listen to yourselves, you're embarrassing and undignified.

...and...

hazoff (resized).pnghazoff (resized).png

It's like saying, "If Party A likes to spit in people's faces and Party B doesn't, then who's to say that we should keep Party A from spitting in people's faces?" The answer is not political, but rather common decency. It's also in the Pinside rules that you've volunteered to uphold. "Racism, name-calling, and discrimination..."

https://pinside.com/pinball/help/pinsidecom-community-rules

You also asked:

Quoted from Jodester:

So, what can we do to increase diversity in pinball? As opposed to just discussing its existence, what ideas do people have to make pinball a more welcoming experience?

I'm glad you're asking questions. Sincerely. It's how we all learn. And believe it or not, there are a lot of suggestions being discussed, from top down approaches (manufacturers taking a financial risk on a theme with a primary demographic that is not white-male dominated) to bottom up, such as...

Quoted from fosaisu:

call[ing] out the misbehavior when you see it and not dismiss it as harmless or turn a blind eye.

...but we could even focus on our group right here. Pinside. ...and you have some power in that regard, Jodester. You volunteered as a Pinside Moderator, but with that dose of power comes some responsibility. You actually have some power to make a difference here! For starters:

Quoted from cait001:

Pinside should approach the women's leagues with a questionnaire and ask all the members why most of them don't come to pinside.

...then listen.

Like, really listen.

And then work to implement changes based on those suggestions.

While we're having an uncomfortable discussion here, there's another thing that came out of your keyboard that I'd like to chat about.

Quoted from Jodester:

Nobody likes to be labeled.( i.e Privileged White Male)

These "labels" you mentioned are merely facts. I don't understand why this is problematic when they are things that just ARE. Are you male? Are you white? If you answered yes to those two then you ARE the third as well. I fall into all of these categories. Based on your posts, I'd wager you are, too.

If I'm right, I have a little challenge for you tonight, to have a think. Like, a real, put-down-the-phone, lay-in-bed, stare-at-the ceiling, think.

When you're laying there, take a moment to think about how seldom you've been scared to walk to your car at night. Think about how rare it is that you fear being groped in a crowd. Think about how you've never thought your life hung in the balance when you've been pulled over. Think about how you probably haven't been afraid to be yourself since maybe high school. These are very real concerns that a lot of folks, that are not like you and me, are faced with daily.

Also-also, on the topic of having a good think...

Quoted from Jodester:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume I'm about your least favorite pinsider by this point, but I'm gonna add one more list item to your good think tonight. In the statement above, in a not very veiled way, you're saying that women, people of color and LGBTQ are poor. Not an okay generalization to make. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe those distilled words were not your intentions. But please read your statement again. The assumption is there.

Finally, I'm sure it feels icky to hear things like...

Quoted from metallik:

Your assumptions are actually part of the problem.

...but when you respond with things like...

Quoted from Jodester:

Don't think I am part of the problem.

...then you are part of the problem.

BUT HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS, and my god, Jodester, I hope you made it this far.

The GOOD NEWS is that you're not a bad person and you're not alone. You know why? Because we're all part of the problem. I am too. I've made plenty of fucked-up and ignorant mistakes in my life and stuck my foot in my mouth in very regrettable ways. But I'm doing my best to be inquisitive (LIKE YOU ARE...ASKING QUESTIONS!) and remain open-minded about our role in why this diversity conversation needs to happen and changes need to be made.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

These "labels" you mentioned are merely facts. I don't understand why this is problematic when they are things that just ARE. Are you male? Are you white? If you answered yes to those two then you ARE the third as well. I fall into all of these categories. Based on your posts, I'd wager you are, too.

Not trying to start anything, but in total fairness, these days race and gender actually CAN BE labels. Some people don't fit neatly into male or female genders, or transition/confirm to a different gender than they were born to. Also, I know of many people who might only have 25% African ancestry, but who still identify as Black. I also know lots of people who pass for, or appear to be, a different race than they actually. Not everything is cut and dry when it comes to race or gender. So those things ARE labels.

#142 3 years ago

I clicked on this thread expecting it to be either a lame joke about how Backboxes come in different shapes, or a snarky, ironic thread that would be closed in a few minutes.

Instead, I’m pleasantly surprised that it’s actually a genuine discussion. Wow! People talking about what is a very obvious lack of diversity in the community. Why is that? What can be done to change it? Very interesting topic.

Hopefully what comes of this will rescue my lack of faith in the rest of humanity by reading some of the later comments. Good for the OP for standing up to some of this nonsense.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

I think discussion of this subject is great, but by excluding the group you hope to change, how can you accomplish the task?

The law stated that some should be excluded because 90 % do not add to the discussion. What about the 10 % who may have good feedback and ideas on how to deal with the problem?

Exclusion does not equal diversity.

Your wasting your time, been a one way discussion since the thread was opened as is the case with a couple other threads. Seems to be no light beyond the tip of their noses.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Honestly, just listening goes so far. Listen and process before that instinct to battle kicks in. The whole point of this is to stop seeing life as a versus battle.

Wish all of you who constantly spout this "just listen" could actually practice this yourselves, this whole conversation has been one way, "your way or the highway", no, just ask the many who were silenced through being thrown out of the thread. If you honestly can't see you're doing exactly what you profess is being so wrongly perpetrated upon you then you need to take your blinders off, the conversation going on here is between "you and you" it never has it been about "you and me". And please the ridiculous stance this is not attack on you and if you take it that way you're just "misunderstanding" is simply lame and laughable at best, another perfect example of your unwillingness to hear or consider a view contrary to that of your own.

#145 3 years ago

Guys I believe wholeheartedly and support the plight of minorities regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender but to approach it in the manor which being done (exclusion) is simply repeating the exact same wrong of which you complain. I don't agree so it's easier to shut me out than to, as you say "listen" really listen. I can't count the number of times someone in this thread has said, " these things are hard to talk about and listen too but, need to be said" that would be a great stance from which to debate if you actually approached it that way, how many have been moderated or thrown out of the thread for saying things they feel are "hard to hear, need to be said" where are those voices, who is listening? If this sounds familiar it's because it's how we got where we are now, history really is doomed to repeat itself when we use the same excuses and tactics on others that we so loudly complain is being perpetrated upon ourselves.

Sorry don't mean to rant and I've said my piece, I've no intentions of arguing my point any further, I just think it should not be systematically dismissed as uninformed, ignorant, or a result of privilege and therefore not worth consideration.

I love the statement "if you don't agree with whats being said you can drain the thread" shows how totally open you are to conversation, you talk and we well we can only drain.

#146 3 years ago

As an educated atheist, I would argue diversity is a bunch of made up BS found only in the minds of humans. I don’t support the movement because acknowledging false diversity is one of the worst parts of humans. The truth is, from a scientific perspective, there is no such thing as diversity in humans.......We are frankly all the same. Do you call an orange cat and a black cat in the same room diversity of cats? You don’t! Well why are humans doing it. Did you know that same sex attraction exists in the animal kingdom?? Get a clue and educate yourself! The term diversity does more to divide us than it does to unite us. It’s just another side of the same stupid coin. Humans need to wake up and realize, that we are not the only intelligent species on the planet, in fact, we are one of the weakest, dumbest, most violent, irresponsible, over rated species on the planet........and NO, this planet was not created for us! We have created a made up world that doesn’t exist and we teach our children that made up reality is “OK” from the day they are born when we baptize them. Most of the excuses we use to exercise the hate within us can be traced back to our ridiculous Religions. Until we abandon religion, we are doomed and won’t progress as a species. Now will getting rid of religion end hate.......heck no, but at least we as a species will start to acknowledge we are not “all that and a bag of chips”. Our hate stems from our biological greed and our will to eliminate competition.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

As an educated atheist, I would argue diversity is a bunch of made up BS only found in the minds of humans. I don’t support the movement because acknowledging false diversity is one of the worst parts of humans. The truth is from a scientific perspective there is no such thing as diversity in humans.......We are frankly all the same. Do you call an orange cat and a black cat in the same room diversity of cats? You don’t! Well why are humans doing it. Did you know that same sex attraction exists in the animal kingdom?? Get a clue and educate yourself! The term diversity does more to divide us than it does to unite us. It’s just another side of the same stupid coin. Humans need to wake up and realize, that we are not the only intelligent species on the planet, in fact, we are one if the weakest, dumbest, most violent, irresponsible, over rated species on the planet........and NO, this planet was not created for us! We have created a made up world that doesn’t exist and we teach our children that made up reality is “OK” from the day they are born, when we baptize them. Most of the excuses we use to exercise the hate within us can be traced back to our ridiculous Religions. Until we abandon religion, we are doomed and won’t progress as a species. Now will getting rid of religion end hate.......heck no, but at least we as a species will start to acknowledge we are not “all that and a bag of chips”. Our hate stems from our biological greed and our will to eliminate competition.

Thank you!
    That’s basically what I was saying with this statement.

Quoted from mrm_4:

And I’m in the NO LIVES MATTER camp. We are all equally worthless. I’d like to see aliens come back to remind us that our whole existence is because we are a slave species created to mine whatever resources they needed and obtained before they decided to abandon the planet. Then all these conversations around race, gender, sexuality, and religion would immediately dissolve.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

In the statement above, in a not very veiled way, you're saying that women, people of color and LGBTQ are poor. Not an okay generalization to make.

That is an appropriate question to ask. There is no debate that generally POC and women are comparatively underpaid in many professions. Whether income inequality is a major factor in pinball enthusiasm is less well studied.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Reminds me of the classic joke. You can call a white person whatever and not offend them. Except racist. That really upsets them.

the thing is i am not white i am hispanic.
    i am from puerto rico. when white people say there is white privilege its like “its obvious we have privilege“ are you saying you are a better race so you have privelege? so condenscending. yes, thats the way you come off.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hi jodester
    Thanks for chiming in on this thread. And thanks for being a mod, too. A thankless job if ever there was one. Volunteer work for not much in return. Impossible to please everyone. So...thank you...for showing up to this party.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to take a moment to talk about a couple of things. You asked...

I have a difficult time with this argument when there are really ugly posts popping up saying things like:

...and...
    [quoted image]
    It's like saying, "If Party A likes to spit in people's faces and Party B doesn't, then who's to say that we should keep Party A from spitting in people's faces?" The answer is not political, but rather common decency. It's also in the Pinside rules that you've volunteered to uphold. "Racism, name-calling, and discrimination..."
    https://pinside.com/pinball/help/pinsidecom-community-rules
    You also asked:

I'm glad you're asking questions. Sincerely. It's how we all learn. And believe it or not, there are a lot of suggestions being discussed, from top down approaches (manufacturers taking a financial risk on a theme with a primary demographic that is not white-male dominated) to bottom up, such as...

...but we could even focus on our group right here. Pinside. ...and you have some power in that regard, Jodester. You volunteered as a Pinside Moderator, but with that dose of power comes some responsibility. You actually have some power to make a difference here! For starters:

...then listen.
    Like, really listen.
    And then work to implement changes based on those suggestions.
    While we're having an uncomfortable discussion here, there's another thing that came out of your keyboard that I'd like to chat about.

If I'm right, I have a little challenge for you tonight, to have a think. Like, a real, put-down-the-phone, lay-in-bed, stare-at-the ceiling, think.
    When you're laying there, take a moment to think about how seldom you've been scared to walk to your car at night. Think about how rare it is that you fear being groped in a crowd. Think about how you've never thought your life hung in the balance when you've been pulled over. Think about how you probably haven't been afraid to be yourself since maybe high school. These are very real concerns that a lot of folks, that are not like you and me, are faced with daily.
    Also-also, on the topic of having a good think...

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume I'm about your least favorite pinsider by this point, but I'm gonna add one more list item to your good think tonight. In the statement above, in a not very veiled way, you're saying that women, people of color and LGBTQ are poor. Not an okay generalization to make. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe those distilled words were not your intentions. But please read your statement again. The assumption is there.
    Finally, I'm sure it feels icky to hear things like...

...but when you respond with things like...

...then you are part of the problem.
    BUT HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS, and my god, Jodester, I hope you made it this far.
    The GOOD NEWS is that you're not a bad person and you're not alone. You know why? Because we're all part of the problem. I am too. I've made plenty of fucked-up and ignorant mistakes in my life and stuck my foot in my mouth in very regrettable ways. But I'm doing my best to be inquisitive (LIKE YOU ARE...ASKING QUESTIONS!) and remain open-minded about our role in why this diversity conversation needs to happen and changes need to be made.

so here you are making the bad guy list.
    this is what this is. a list of the people you would like to throw out of pinside. maybe even call their jobs to say they are racist right? pitchforks and all.

There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity/page/3?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.