(Topic ID: 102391)

Backbox LIGHT Animation

By RyanClaytor

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-13.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for examples of backbox animation, not mechanical (horse kicking cowboy in Buckaroo or moving fan in Masquarade), but rather animation through the use of lights. I'm thinking along the lines of the guy in the barrel cascading down the falls in "Niagara," Jack and Jill falling down the hill in "Jack 'N Jill," or even the EM arcade "Penny Pitch."

Here's Jack 'N Jill with backbox light animation around the 10:50 mark:

And here's Penny Pitch with lighted animation:

Couldn't find video of Niagara, but here are a couple of pictures yanked from IPDB:
    image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

image-13.jpgimage-13.jpg

Lookin' forward to any suggestions! Thanks, guys!

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#2 9 years ago

Spot Bowler, Sittin' Pretty come to mind.

And it is possible to search on light animation in IPDB:
    http://ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&ft=light+animation&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

#3 9 years ago

Interesting, the IPDB search does not include Globe Trotter. You can light the 4 engines and also the foreign destinations as you travel the world.

#4 9 years ago

Alpine Club - the mountain climber ascends the mountain by the player hitting certain targets in sequence. The feature carries over from game to game. Seems like I read someplace that it was the first pin to have that carryover feature, but I can't locate the reference.

#5 9 years ago

It might be a fine line definition of "animation" - maybe IPDB only counts those that have more an animation "sequence" (i.e. lit frames that show progression of an item, like the barrel falling on Niagara, or the clowns dunking on Sittin' Pretty). Lighting static or discrete items that don't tie together into an animation 'sequence' may not be considered?

#6 9 years ago

The cities are a progression as you travel the world. You adjust a replay setting to award upon reaching later destinations. It's not random by any means.

#7 9 years ago

Maybe the illusion of movement is the qualifier. That would make more sense than progression I suppose.

Edit: I see River Boat is included in the light animation search. You simply light cards on the back glass as you get them. No movement. I'm confused.

#8 9 years ago

But do the cities 'morph' like an animation cel sequence? ('animated' like one of those old flip-page books, where there's 'motion' conveyed for the item or character.)

I'm sure it's possible that not every game with animation is noted though.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I see River Boat is included in the light animation search. You simply light cards on the back glass as you get them. No movement.

yeah, I wouldn't count that one.

#10 9 years ago

Roto Pool, you just light the back box balls.
    Moulin Rouge, you light the painting segments.
    Flip-A-Card, lit cards.
    No illusion of movement.

I guess it depends on the definition of "light animation." I always thought of it originally as an interactive lighted back glass element. The flip-book style movement is certainly more interesting though.

#11 9 years ago

I guess I could see where lighting the painting segments and the pool balls could count. So the 'mechanical' animation that just drops flags or pool balls is considered as backbox animation, so why not the lighting equivalent?

Very fuzzy definition.

I think the ones with more the flip-book style are 'animation' in the pure sense, and the others are more 'indicators'. But it makes some of the mechanical ones iffy then too.

#12 9 years ago

Tropic Isle has the monkey climbing the palm tree.

#13 9 years ago

Many thanks for all your suggestions thus far, guys. This is really helpful.

Much appreciated,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-light-animation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.