Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PersonX99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I "finally" found some purple led strip lights and pimped out my TF Combo. I did not think they made strip lights in this color, but Amazon has them. I tied it into the GI lighting and added flashers. I also changed out the decepticon speaker led to keep with the combo theme. Video here:

#2 10 years ago

Where did you get those speaker covers? And speaker backlight kit? Looks awesome!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Where did you get those speaker covers? And speaker backlight kit? Looks awesome!

Laseriffic has 'em.

#4 10 years ago

Wow it looks great!

#5 10 years ago

The speaker backlight are really nothing more than a strip of leds mounted around the speakers.

#6 10 years ago

Looks great.

Do you have invisiglass? Curious how bad the glare is with this as it looks bright.

#7 10 years ago

So i talked with laseriffic and he pointed me to pinballtoppers.com. Looks like they have the speaker covers. And the backlit kit, but looks like the backlight can only do 1 color. Are you saying you made your own using led strips? Can you post some pics of the back of your speaker panel?

Looks great!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Looks like they have the speaker covers. And the backlit kit, but looks like the backlight can only do 1 color.

You can do just about any color you want. Catch is you can't do one color for one speaker and a different color for another speaker - Check them out here - http://www.pinballtoppers.com/STERN.html

I wonder how hard it would be to add a second controller - ebay.com link: 24 KEY OR 44 KEY IR Remote Controller Wireless For 3528 5050 RGB SMD LED Strips

I'll let him post picks but if you don't want RGB's you can buy the color you want and just wrap the inside of the speaker panel with the lights.

ebay.com link: 3528 5m 500cm Purple 300 LED SMD Flexible Light Strip Lamp DC 12V Waterproof

ebay.com link: Red 5M 60Leds M Flexible SMD 3528 Led Strip Lights Lamp For DIY Decoration DC12V

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I "finally" found some purple led strip lights and pimped out my TF Combo. I did not think they made strip lights in this color, but Amazon has them. I tied it into the GI lighting and added flashers. I also changed out the decepticon speaker led to keep with the combo theme. Video here:
» YouTube video

Ive never really played the game much, but its kind of weird that megatron is flashing when its optimus is speaking. It looks really nice btw!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

You can do just about any color you want. Catch is you can't do one color for one speaker and a different color for another speaker

sorry yeah that is what I meant. One color at a time (both speakers) but there are a ton of colors available on that thing.

It does look like you could buy the splitter and 2 controllers and have one red and one purple.

Thanks for the links I'll check it out!

2 weeks later
#11 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Looks great.
Do you have invisiglass? Curious how bad the glare is with this as it looks bright.

I use glare guards on all my pins (for the dmd). The backbox doesnt cause any glare. It looks brighter than it actually is in the video. I was going for deeper colors in the translite rather than brightness.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Ive never really played the game much, but its kind of weird that megatron is flashing when its optimus is speaking. It looks really nice btw!

I picked up on that as well. I changed my design because of it. The flashers are now hot-swappable so that I can change them post installation to get the best effect. It's more work to build, but a lot easier to work with if I want to make any changes.
I just finished doing my Avatar pin. The flashers are somewhat muted in the 3-D translite, but the 3-D effect is greatly enhanced with the colored LEDs and even lighting. I still need to shoot a video of that, but I doubt the enhancement of the 3D will show on video.

#13 10 years ago

Nice

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

So i talked with laseriffic and he pointed me to pinballtoppers.com. Looks like they have the speaker covers. And the backlit kit, but looks like the backlight can only do 1 color. Are you saying you made your own using led strips? Can you post some pics of the back of your speaker panel?
Looks great!

Thanks. I don't have any pics of the backpanel yet, but yes, I made my own. I connect to the 12V source on the pin (from the power supply, not the main board). I cut the LED strips to the size need to wrap around the speakers. I solder the 12V cable to the +/- solder points on the LEDs strips and plug them in.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Looks great!

Rickwh, I see you have a Metallica Pro as well. Here is a video of the prototype I did for my MET:

In this one, I used RGB lights in the backbox & around the speakers. The flashers were an experiment and need to be redone, but it was my 1st attempt and just a prototype. I actually have a couple of led flasher bulbs on the board, lol. Those will be replaced and the flashers moved to different locations.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for the info! I really like how the background of the met backglass changes, but you kept their faces a constant color. That works really well. I also like how it ties into the speaker too.

#17 10 years ago

On the TFLE are the flashers tied into the game so that each robot flashes as you do something with him on the playfield? If so How did you do that? Is it piggybacking off pf insert/flashers?

#18 10 years ago

Looks so good. My issue is I hate the reflection off the light tube on STERN games. I always tape the light tube with painters tape. How d bad is the reflection onto the playfield glass ?

#19 10 years ago

I absolutely have to use glare guards for the DMDS (drives me crazy), but the back box is muted by the translite and far enough away from the glass to not cause any glare. I can't play XF in the dark anymore though. The BB is tied into the GI lighting now (not powered, just switched) so in certain modes, it flashes on and off with the music and in the dark, it becomes difficult to track the ball. This is pretty common with LEDS in pins. I just keep the overhead lights on low.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

On the TFLE are the flashers tied into the game so that each robot flashes as you do something with him on the playfield? If so How did you do that? Is it piggybacking off pf insert/flashers?

I made a adapter cable that goes between the flasher connectors (J6-J7) and the main board. When a specific flasher on the playfield is triggered, the flasher on the backbox is triggered as well. They are not unique flashers as that would require a more complex solution. This is just eye-candy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-leds-for-tf-lecombo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.