(Topic ID: 159430)

Backbox Latch Damage - How should I repair it?

By pinb0t

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Steve_in_Escalon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20160507_212305_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Working on a BSD that, from what I can tell, was knocked over on its side during transport. Or maybe a rage tilt. BSD can do that to a person.

Anyway - among bad separation issues (which Brian Kelly's IJ thread has been very helpful) the top part of the backbox latch was ripped out of the head. I've attached a picture so you can see the damage. They then relocated the latch to the right. I want to get the latch back in the center but I am afraid any repair like Bondo or whatever won't be able to support the stress.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_20160507_212305_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Bondo

#3 3 years ago

Given the load that latch is supposed to bear, I'd be very wary of any repair, for the reason you cite. Bondo would be the definite choice over a wood filler, but I'd be worried of it being too brittle and/or breaking away from the rest of the wood once stress is put on it.

But...

If you find and use longer screws, you can probably sink them into the meat of the bottom board on the head. So use your filler for cosmetics, then drill new pilot holes of sufficient depth. Make sure to use pilots so you don't split the plywood. Install longer screws, and you might end up with a stronger latch than the original.

That's my first thought anyway. There's probably some cabinet repair threads here that might have other / better ideas.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Given the load that latch is supposed to bear

The reason these games came with bolts is because the latch isn't supposed to hold the head up. It is only there to support the head while installing the bolts and even with that the head will usually stay up. Moving the latch to one side or the other is not the end of the world.

#5 3 years ago

Hmm, that's a good point. Yeah I put all the head bolts in my machines so I'm not solely relying on that latch either.

But OTOH, you ever notice just how desperately the head wants to flop forward when you have the light board swung open to put the bolts in? One wrong momentary thump or slip enhanced by a weak latch could spell disaster-a-la-Murphy...

#6 3 years ago

Swap the position of the catch and the latch; i.e., put the catch on the bottom cabinet section, and the latch on the back box. The mounting holes will be in different positions - and as a bonus, the latch won't get bunged up the next time you rest the cabinet on its back.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Moving the latch to one side or the other is not the end of the world.

Does the O in O-din stand for Obvious? If I'm going through all the trouble of installing new decals etc I want the latch where it should be. I always install head bolts and if I was keeping the game forever I wouldn't really care. Would hate for the next owner to have a nasty surprise though.

So far I like the idea of longer screws, if I slightly lower the latch I should be able to hit the bottom board. Thanks goingincircles.

#8 3 years ago

Have the same damage on a STTNG I just bought. Leave it and use the head bolts.

#9 3 years ago

I would replace the back panel. It's not that difficult and you can buy the panel pre-finished, including the warning text.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from pinb0t:

Does the O in O-din stand for Obvious?

Only when it appears the obvious has been overlooked-

Quoted from pinb0t:

won't be able to support the stress.

That's why I mentioned the bolts.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

I would replace the back panel. It's not that difficult and you can buy the panel pre-finished, including the warning text.

This sounds like a good option. I found a place that sells the entire backbox but I can't seem to locate just the panel for sale. Any ideas where you saw them for sale?

#12 3 years ago

Throw the whole thing away and build a new box from scratch.

Or don't do anything to it

#14 3 years ago

PM sent on replacement panel.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside