(Topic ID: 5548)

Backbox glare - anyone know where I can get a large glare filter?

By dxrdave

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mwong168
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nite_shades.jpg
    Shine_Eliminator_004.jpg
    Shine_Eliminator_002.jpg
    Shine_Eliminator_001.jpg
    Expedition-_Blacked-Out_.jpg
    Expedition-_Blacked-Out_20%.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MagicJumpi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 12 years ago

To be able to give you some advice about backbox glare it would be of help if you could
    tell us.

1. Which machine is affected ? TSPP, SP or TZ ?
    2. Do you use LEDs in your backbox or regular bulbs ?
    3. Do you prefer darker rooms while playing or lighter ?
    4. Is your machine (this one you're talking about) in a darkened room ?

Possible solutions without having answers on above questions:

1. Use regular light bulbs for backbox lighting instead of LEDs to reduce
    lumen strength if LEDs are in use
    2. If you use a machine (Stern) with a fluorescend light tube then remove it
    or the starter (it's easier) to test it without a lit backbox. It makes a huge difference
    in dark rooms
    3. Switch off backbox lighting in general to see the difference

I know that those solutions will cause some answers like "...I love the backbox lighting and effects and I will never switch it off...", but it's worth a try or you try playing in more lightend rooms.

Glare-free, non-glare or PDI glass won't reduce backbox glare in dark rooms successfully
    but it will enhance the visibility in lightend rooms and reduce the glare to the better.

bibi,

Roman

#7 12 years ago

In your situation I'd recommend to use a warm light tube instead of the one which is installed at the factory which is cold white. It will help a little, because it emitts less light.
    PDI glass or non glare glass has a significant influence on the visibility from the DMD or the backbox. Natural light from the sides, no light from the ceiling is the perfect playground if you use
    this glass.

bibi,

Roman

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MagicJumpi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-glare-anyone-know-where-i-can-get-a-large-glare-filter?tu=MagicJumpi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.