(Topic ID: 5548)

Backbox glare - anyone know where I can get a large glare filter?

By dxrdave

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mwong168
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nite_shades.jpg
    Shine_Eliminator_004.jpg
    Shine_Eliminator_002.jpg
    Shine_Eliminator_001.jpg
    Expedition-_Blacked-Out_.jpg
    Expedition-_Blacked-Out_20%.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Everyone talks about DMD glare, and I know where to get filters for it, but I have a problem with horrendous glare from the backbox. After trying different solutions for the DMD, I find that I like the microlouver film from Pinball Pal the best.

I would like to get the same type of material in a size large enough to cover the backbox, but I'm having trouble finding a place that sells a large enough piece. Most of the ones I could find were made for PC/laptop screens, which is too small. I found one place in Oregon that advertises larger sizes, but they have an "F" rating with the BBB, so I wouldn't want to take chance dealing with them.

I know that the stuff is relatively expensive, but it's cheaper than PDI glass (which I have and like, incidentally, but it doesn't eliminate glare problems from the DMD and backbox).

So, does anyone know where I can get microlouver film in larger sizes (I measured it at 25 3/16 x 18 3/16)?

#2 12 years ago

I have seen them for sale on ebay here in the UK but there is also a post here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/glare-guards-from-wrong-crowd-productionsi-really-like-mine

#3 12 years ago

Please let us know if you find them

#4 12 years ago

To be able to give you some advice about backbox glare it would be of help if you could
    tell us.

1. Which machine is affected ? TSPP, SP or TZ ?
    2. Do you use LEDs in your backbox or regular bulbs ?
    3. Do you prefer darker rooms while playing or lighter ?
    4. Is your machine (this one you're talking about) in a darkened room ?

Possible solutions without having answers on above questions:

1. Use regular light bulbs for backbox lighting instead of LEDs to reduce
    lumen strength if LEDs are in use
    2. If you use a machine (Stern) with a fluorescend light tube then remove it
    or the starter (it's easier) to test it without a lit backbox. It makes a huge difference
    in dark rooms
    3. Switch off backbox lighting in general to see the difference

I know that those solutions will cause some answers like "...I love the backbox lighting and effects and I will never switch it off...", but it's worth a try or you try playing in more lightend rooms.

Glare-free, non-glare or PDI glass won't reduce backbox glare in dark rooms successfully
    but it will enhance the visibility in lightend rooms and reduce the glare to the better.

bibi,

Roman

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

I have seen them for sale on ebay here in the UK but there is also a post here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/glare-guards-from-wrong-crowd-productionsi-really-like-mine

Thanks for the reply, but those are good only for DMD glare. They have no effect on glare from the backbox.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

To be able to give you some advice about backbox glare it would be of help if you could
    tell us.

1. Which machine is affected ? TSPP, SP or TZ ?

Both POTC and SM.

Quoted from MagicJumpi:

2. Do you use LEDs in your backbox or regular bulbs ?

The standard fluorescent tube that comes from the factory.

Quoted from MagicJumpi:

3. Do you prefer darker rooms while playing or lighter ?
    4. Is your machine (this one you're talking about) in a darkened room ?

I've tried it both ways. The glare is obnoxious even in a lighted room. I prefer some room lighting because it's too hard for me to see the pinballs in a darkened room.

Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Possible solutions without having answers on above questions:

1. Use regular light bulbs for backbox lighting instead of LEDs to reduce
    lumen strength if LEDs are in use
    2. If you use a machine (Stern) with a fluorescent light tube then remove it
    or the starter (it's easier) to test it without a lit backbox. It makes a huge difference
    in dark rooms
    3. Switch off backbox lighting in general to see the difference

I know that those solutions will cause some answers like "...I love the backbox lighting and effects and I will never switch it off...", but it's worth a try or you try playing in more lightened rooms.

I enjoy the game more when the backbox is lit. When it's not lit, I find it too distracting - like something's missing or not working.

Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Glare-free, non-glare or PDI glass won't reduce backbox glare in dark rooms successfully
    but it will enhance the visibility in lightened rooms and reduce the glare to the better.

In my case, the PDI glass seems to have little or no effect on the DMD and backbox glare even in a lighted room, although it makes a big difference for everything else. Hence the reason I'm looking for a filter.

#7 12 years ago

In your situation I'd recommend to use a warm light tube instead of the one which is installed at the factory which is cold white. It will help a little, because it emitts less light.
    PDI glass or non glare glass has a significant influence on the visibility from the DMD or the backbox. Natural light from the sides, no light from the ceiling is the perfect playground if you use
    this glass.

bibi,

Roman

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from MagicJumpi:

In your situation I'd recommend to use a warm light tube instead of the one which is installed at the factory which is cold white. It will help a little, because it emitts less light.

I had this same problem with my TSPP, I put in a warm white tube instead of the stock cool white, and it made a vast improvement. I can now actually see the upper playfield properly whilst trying to lock a ball on the couch!

#9 12 years ago

The only thing I might suggest is a CRT type mesh that can but bought and cut to size cheaply. They did them at work many years ago on some of our computer test systems although most of us hated the reduction in light.

#11 12 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll look into them as cheaper alternatives. The microlouver film works so well that I was afraid I wouldn't be happy with simply reducing the glare rather than eliminating it, but it's worth doing some experimenting.

#12 12 years ago

Cutting down the light output from the tube by using something like tomdotcom's links really helps. It greatly helped on my TSPP. TSPP is terrible with glare on the upper playfield. Maybe try a warm tube as suggested, and also check the wattage of the tube. I think there are also tubes that are at least two watts less in power consumption (which equates to more than two watts of "brightness".)

#13 12 years ago

I don't like the look of glare guards, but they are why better than the film.
    There's a place in San Diego where they have TSPP and the glare is just horrible there. I usually play with polarized sunglasses and avoid all the glare effect. heck sometimes I even use them at home.

2 weeks later
    #14 12 years ago

I finally decided to go with the 3M microlouver film. I couldn't find any place that sold a single piece large enough to cover the whole thing, so I had to get 2 pieces that were just over 1/2 the size and trim them to fit. It worked out well - the seam is virtually invisible unless you deliberately look closely for it, and there's zero glare.

#15 12 years ago

How about Tinting the outside of yr Tran's Glass with some 20% Window Tint.. Brain Storm !!!

Just a Thought ,, but I think it would work !!!!

Expedition-_Blacked-Out_20%.jpgExpedition-_Blacked-Out_20%.jpg Expedition-_Blacked-Out_.jpgExpedition-_Blacked-Out_.jpg

Post edited by BLACK_ROSE : mis-spelled word !!

#16 12 years ago

Good that you found a solution that you are happy with. I would be interested in seeing some pictures if you have any. Peace Edit: BR- you posted seconds before I did. Those arent the pics I was looking for. he he But nice.

#17 12 years ago

I would post some pics, but i don't own a camera. I was thinking of getting one and posting pics of my game room when it gets finished, but that probably won't be until next year sometime at the rate things are going. Wish I could do it sooner, but circumstances aren't very good right now and aren't likely to get better anytime soon.

#18 12 years ago

Window tint does work on Translight glass and DMD Screen plastic. And a roll from Walmart is like $12.

#19 12 years ago

I'm grateful for all the suggestions, but the problem (for me) with the tints (and the other ideas) is that they only reduce the reflection; they don't eliminate it. They're much better than having nothing, but I really wanted to totally eliminate the reflections. The microlouver film is the only thing I have found which actually does that.

10 months later
    #20 11 years ago

I added the backbox lighting kits to two Stern games Elvis and Spider-Man and the backbox glare was eliminated by adding 1/16" abs thermoplastic.
    You can get this stuff here.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-940&FTR=1/16%22%20plastic%20sheets

You can add this to an existing Glare Guard or make your own from it.
    I just made 50 of them, total cost for materials shipped is around two bucks apiece for two regular size, you can notch one 12x24 sheet and make the bend in the middle and it is deep enough to eliminate all the glare from the DMD and the backbox from the player's position.
    Run 2 2x6s through a table saw to get the angle stack them with bend area exposed clamp and heat with a torch and use the cutoff angle to make the bend.
    As you can see from the pics it is large but you can't see it from the player's position and it eliminates 100% of the DMD and backbox glare.

Shine_Eliminator_001.jpgShine_Eliminator_001.jpg Shine_Eliminator_002.jpgShine_Eliminator_002.jpg Shine_Eliminator_004.jpgShine_Eliminator_004.jpg

#21 11 years ago

I had the same problem with my TSPP...WAY too much glare.

I tried what tomdotcam suggested and it works great....

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/247/PLAS-100100.html

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I had the same problem with my TSPP...WAY too much glare.
    I tried what tomdotcam suggested and it works great....
    http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/247/PLAS-100100.html

Those work great for the stock bulb but the backbox lighting kits throw off a tremendous amount of glare and the PDI glass does nothing to eliminate it, I was going to buy a couple sheets but saw it in person and it does nothing as far as eliminating DMD and backbox glare.

#23 11 years ago

I hate a can of VHT Nite Shades from a previous project I used it on and I sprayed the front half of the tube and it helped reduce the glare on my Ripley's nicely.

nite_shades.jpgnite_shades.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-glare-anyone-know-where-i-can-get-a-large-glare-filter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.