7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I swapped my backbox T8 2ft florescent today with T8 LEDs. It took about 5 minutes per pin once I had the glass off and only cost $7.95 per light on Amazon (using Prime). This procedure applied to both my Stern and Sega DMD machines. Not sure about other DMDs with florescent.

Materials needed:
    Wire cutter
    Wire stripper
    1 wire nut or butt connector
    1 T8 LED (single end powered)

I purchased five 2ft T8 LEDs on Amazon for $39.
    http://www.amazon.com/5-pack-HonestEast-Lighting-Watts-Neutral/dp/B0183GC42O

Procedure assumes that you purchased a T8 flouescent that only needs power on one end and doesn't use a ballast or starter simular to the type in the above link.

Turn off and unplug your pinball machine.
    Identify the wires and components, mark and measure your cuts so after cutting and stripping you'll be able to connect the ends. Remove florescent light. Cut the black wires where indicated on the drawing. Strip black wire coming from molex connector (supplying the 120V) and strip the black wire that's directly on the light socket. Coonect these two black wires together. Install the LED and try it out.

In my opinion, the LEDs makes the translite POP, it makes you back box run cooler, saves energy and (as I've been told), prolongs the life of electronic components.

I tried to make a drawing to show where to cut and what to connect. It's VERY simplistic diagram that applied to my Stern and Sega machines.

It goes without saying, turn off and unplug your pin before you start to on anything electrical. In this case you're dealing with the full 120VAC.

Sorry if this has been posted 100 times.

Untitled-1_(resized).jpgUntitled-1_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Looks good. At this point you should remove the ballast and ballast starter to avoid any part of that circuit ever touching anything.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for posting this

7 months later
    #4 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Looks good. At this point you should remove the ballast and ballast starter to avoid any part of that circuit ever touching anything.

I taped off the ends and left a note with instructions on how to revert back from LED to florescent if I (or the next owner) wants to switch back.

Always safety first. I've completed this on my Sterns and Sega machines with no issues greatly reducing heat and the rumor of damage to the boards and cables by the florescent bulbs.

#5 7 years ago

Since when did the stock fluorescent bulbs start damaging boards and cables?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Since when did the stock fluorescent bulbs start damaging boards and cables?

The UV light from the fluorescent tube disintegrates the connectors closest to the bulb. They literally fall apart. The wiring harness turns crispy and the slightest touch makes sections of insulation crumble off the wires. Also, the wire colors fade badly so you can't tell what color they are.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-florescent-to-led-swap-easy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.