10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Heretic_9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Talking about tables prior to about 1990, when the folding backbox feature was introduced.

[I first searched for other relevant threads on this, finding only this one
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-does-shipping-really-work ]

So far, following some rather adamant advice from owners who know a lot more about these things than I do (since I'm just a neophyte owner), I've had a couple pins shipped this way -- by one of the most-recommended freight companies -- with good results. The backbox was detached, then shrinkwrapped on top of the playfield glass, separated by some insulation between.

But, I just got some directly contradictory advice from the seller of an older EM pin. He tells me that he has shipped a very large number of such tables, with the backbox still attached and upright, and that the advice I was given was pretty bad. If it was done as I was previously advised, the weight of internal mechanisms can scratch paint off of the backglass, or even cause it to break, he said. This thing is going to be traveling about 2,000 miles, possibly over some not-great road surfaces. I could use some expert opinions, as between these two opposing positions. Based on past experience, I don't think crating or palletizing are going to be options. The shipping company just places cardboard pieces around the outer table edges, and then shrinkwraps everything. (One has to hope they have some good idea about what they're doing, since they have been doing this for a long time.) This is not an especially valuable pin, but I do want it to arrive in good condition -- even though it will be insured.

#2 10 years ago

My mate used to own a Flash that had a damaged backbox from a previous owner moving it attached. The base of the backbox all but snapped off.

#3 10 years ago

NAVL (and probably most other shipping companies) won't do this for you: the seller has to be willing to do it as prep, at your request. What I understand from talking to NAVL is that some people prefer to ship with the backbox detached, and some with the backbox still connected and upright. (NAVL just places cardboard sections around the outer edges of the pin, then shrinkwraps and blanket wraps it. The pin is supposed to be further restrained -- strapped down -- inside the truck, to keep it from being able to move around.) There does not seem to be any statistics or claims trend to show that one way is preferable to the other. But some experienced owners are strongly of the opinion that detaching the backbox for shipment is a very advisable precaution.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-detach-for-shipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.