Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by agreen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Recently picked up a DESW - all was well until...

I removed the screws to the soundboard and let the board float free. This was done in an attempt to eliminate some of the (apparently notorious) speaker hum based on some forum recommendations.

After letting the board float, I fired the game up, and bam, no controlled lighting.

I'd read in the repair wiki about the 8 amp fuse in the backbox often being the culprit, so I checked it with a DMM and it was blown. Got a new one, put it in, turned the game on and pop, blown.

So, I checked the bridge rectifier that's connected to the fuse and sure enough it had a bad leg. Problem solved! Or not.

Ordered a new BR, checked it, installed it, fired the game up with a new fuse in place. Nice glow from the fuse and pop. Retested the bridge and it tested fine, good readings on all legs. Checked the fuse holder, seems fine.

Since I *did* have a shorted BR, and replaced it, but am still seeing the 8 amp fuse pop - any thoughts on where to start looking/testing? It seems odd that this happened immediately after floating the sound board (which has since been re-attached to the backbox), but that could be coincidence I suppose.

#2 11 years ago

Is the new BR bad ?

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is the new BR bad ?
LTG : )

All legs test correctly with the game powered off. I haven't yet tested with the game powered on - I'll check voltages and post them.

#4 11 years ago

Ok - did some testing but I'm relatively new to this so please bear with me.

As for the BR with the game powered off I tested negative lead to positive leg, positive lead to AC 1 and 2 - and that tested good. Repeated with positive lead to negative leg, negative lead to AC 1 and 2 - and those tested correctly (read ~500 with DMM set to diode).

With the game powered on, I'm not entirely sure what to test. With that fuse blown, will I even get correct DC readings? What I tested, and it's probably not correct, I connected the positive lead to the positive leg, negative lead to the negative leg and set DMM to 20 vDC. I get a reading of .27. I get this reading with the game powered off and on.

Pardon the n00b-ness. I've done mechanical repairs and basic troubleshooting before but this is a new one.

#5 11 years ago

Crazy we have the exact same problem on the exact same machine. I posted a topic yesterday, but haven't had any replies. I also replaced the bridge rectifier but that didn't help my cause.

I've looked for obvious things, kind of done an eye test. I did find a bulb that had broke in it's socket, thought it might have caused a short, but after removing it the fuse still blows. I noticed I have a small burn spot on the tip of one of the connectors on the power supply board, CN8. However, when I unplugged that connector the fuse still began to blow, and I think it only affected the flash lamps or GI.

I have tried unplugging things and plugging them back in to see if I can get some clues (amateur, I know) and the only way I have been able to get the fuse to NOT blow is by unplugging CN4 on the CPU board. Does this give anyone any clues? Any advice where to go from here?

Because it is playing well, I want to be careful to not break something else trying to fix the controlled lamps. At the same time, it annoys the heck out of me that they don't work and I am enjoying learning about this amazing piece of electronics!

#6 11 years ago

Ok, some progress. Apparently it helps if you hook the BR up correctly :/ I had the polarity reversed. I'm not sure if this impacts the integrity of the BR, but it still tests OK. Got it hooked up correctly, and fired the game up. No blown fuse, but still no CPU controlled lighting. I'm getting 19 vDC with leads attached to the +/- on the BR with the game turned on.

#7 11 years ago

Found it. The fuse clip for F4 on the PS board was creating a weak connection. Adjusted the clip, turned the game on and it's back in business - all CPU lighting is working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-8-amp-slo-blo-desw-blowing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.