image-591.jpg
power supply.jpg
on legs side.jpg
new glass.jpg
flipper buttons.jpg
cable tie.jpg
ac power.jpg
back stickers.jpg
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago

Huge BttF fan, and this is high on my list of machines to own. Awesome thread! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

#52 10 years ago

love seeing how other people do things. Very nice of you to share. Keep going.

#53 10 years ago

Fantastic thread and amazing work keep sharing we love this stuff

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

love seeing how other people do things. Very nice of you to share. Keep going.

You a pilot?
Whistling Death

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

This method is very noticeable.

not if you use high end brushes with very fine bristles and your paint is thin enough. Clear buries it no problem.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

What do you mean by that?

Hand painting requires a high amount of skill especially when painting on top of screened work. Hand painted key lines isn't so noticeable but hand painting say the horses on the joust lanes of MM is. I prefer masking and airbrushing because of the layering/blending properties.

#57 10 years ago

that's the whole thing, you can't mask and airbrush the detail on the MM horse. It's funny you mention that. I'm doing a MM for someone right now. Just finished the damn horse like 3 days ago.

#58 10 years ago

I am still learning the airbrush so it will be a while before I feel real comfortable with it. I am actually looking for a real bad playfield so I can just do all kinds of work on it to practice different techniques.

#59 10 years ago

This is great, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm looking forward to more awesome shots, I have two of these and can't wait to start working on them.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

This is great, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm looking forward to more awesome shots, I have two of these and can't wait to start working on them.

2??????? You inbox is gonna be full of people wanting to buy one.
Took me 3 1/2 years to find this one.

What kind of shape are they in?

#61 10 years ago

The first one was a parts machine, the important stuff is there but I need to manufacture a bunch of generic pieces.

The other one I just bought is in full working condition. I'm gone use it's generic pieces as a template to finish this other machine.

I'm hoping by the end of this year I will have two really great working machines and then I'll trade one for another title.

#62 10 years ago

Everything worked out so I was able to Clear the playfield today. I am really happy with the results. I will let is cure for 48 hours and then I will wet sand it and see where I am and how level the surface is. With the insert text being vinyl I might have to put one more layer of clear on it.

Here is a picture after the mist coat and first heavier coat was put on. Look at that shine.
playfield coat 2.jpgplayfield coat 2.jpg

Here are a couple of shots after the clear.
playfield 1.jpgplayfield 1.jpgplayfield 2.jpgplayfield 2.jpg

Here are some shots of the specific areas that I profiled earlier.

Pop bumper rings.
pop rings.jpgpop rings.jpg

Out Lane
outlane.jpgoutlane.jpg

Green railroad track inserts.
tracks.jpgtracks.jpg

Green insert and 50K
green insert.jpggreen insert.jpg

Square Inserts
right inserts.jpgright inserts.jpg

Round inserts and text
5 inserts.jpg5 inserts.jpg

I also picked up the backbox and paint today. The paint that I had matched earlier was close but not perfect so they had me bring the backbox and paint back and they worked on it some more. When I got there today they showed me 3 spots that they put on the back and top of the backbox and I could not see where they painted so I am really looking forward to working on the cabinet. If you need cabinet paint matched I can highly recommend Sherwin Williams. Just too bad you cant buy a smaller amount of it.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Everything worked out so I was able to Clear the playfield today. I am really happy with the results. I will let is cure for 48 hours and then I will wet sand it and see where I am and how level the surface is. With the insert text being vinyl I might have to put one more layer of clear on it.
Here is a picture after the mist coat and first heavier coat was put on. Look at that shine.

What kind/brand of clear did you use?

#65 10 years ago

what kind of paint is Sherwin williams mixing you ?

BTW nice job so far

#66 10 years ago

awesome work, you are an inspiration. Keep it up, you have talent.

#67 10 years ago

I appreciate the comments. I am very happy with the results so far.

Quoted from bleargh:

What kind/brand of clear did you use?

I use Finish1 by Sherwin Williams. A friend of mine that also restores machines uses it and we have been happy with the results. We have covered paint, water slide decals and vinyl with no issues.

Quoted from Gerry:

what kind of paint is Sherwin williams mixing you ?
BTW nice job so far

It is all surface oil based enamel. We also did a test on this paint and our clearcoat covers it with no problems.

#68 10 years ago

Not a big update but I did sand the playfield today. I was hoping that maybe I could wet sand it and not have to clear again but I decided that I took enough clear off especially around the vinyl text that I will go ahead and clear a final time. The surface is super flat not and I could probably get away without clearing again but I feel the clear covering the vinyl text is pretty thin. I think a final clear will add the extra protection and allow for a good wet sand the playfield to make it perfectly flat. Its really starting to shape up.

Sanded and ready for final clear.
playfield.jpgplayfield.jpg

Flat Flat Flat.
ball view.jpgball view.jpg

I hope to start working on the cabinet this weekend or next week.

#69 10 years ago

Very nice! Looking good!

#70 10 years ago

This is awesome! BTTF was my first pin and I still have it. I've got a spare PF that I grabbed off ebay ages ago that I want to have touched up and clearcoated. It's nice to finally see a DE machine getting some love.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

This is awesome! BTTF was my first pin and I still have it. I've got a spare PF that I grabbed off ebay ages ago that I want to have touched up and clearcoated. It's nice to finally see a DE machine getting some love.

Wow. A spare playfield, that's doesn't happen too often. How is the clear on your spare playfield. Mine had a lot of cracking It. With the sanding and clearing it is looking teally good. What shape is your original in?

I actually suggested to CPR to see if they could get MJF permission to repro the playfield and backass with him on it and then donate a portion of the proceeds to his charity. I think it would be a huge hit if MJF would agree to it. They didn't seem Interetested. I have an idea I am working on though. We will see how it turns out.

#72 10 years ago

Lonzo , for the very last coat of clear, do you do a "wet" coat? one that has extra reducer so it really flows out flat?

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

Lonzo , for the very last coat of clear, do you do a "wet" coat? one that has extra reducer so it really flows out flat?

I have not tried that yet. I usually wet sand the final coat to remove any imperfections and then buff out. I still consider myself learning so I am not an expert by any means.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I have not tried that yet. I usually wet sand the final coat to remove any imperfections and then buff out. I still consider myself learning so I am not an expert by any means.

well i don't know , after seeing the progress here, you got some mad skills!. the final spray on my car the bodyshop did a "wetcoat" where they up the reducer and then spray it down and it goes on really wet and thin and flat and shiny, but i would practice on something else first because i think if you go hardcore with the reducer it may attack all that fine work you have already done.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Wow. A spare playfield, that's doesn't happen too often. How is the clear on your spare playfield. Mine had a lot of cracking It. With the sanding and clearing it is looking teally good. What shape is your original in?
I actually suggested to CPR to see if they could get MJF permission to repro the playfield and backass with him on it and then donate a portion of the proceeds to his charity. I think it would be a huge hit if MJF would agree to it. They didn't seem Interetested. I have an idea I am working on though. We will see how it turns out.

My original isn't too bad, some minor wear here and there, not nearly as bad as yours I don't think. Same burnt green inserts under the lamps, as per the norm. The spare is a little worse, but not too bad. I've never really looked all that closely at them though.

I think if someone did the art package, CPR would make playfields. There's nothing special in the way of inserts or anything like there is on High Speed or Space Shuttle. I think the licencing would be the biggest headache.

#76 10 years ago

I always use 10% reducer on my final layer. Looks nice and flat when done that way. Long as you put it on thick enough.

1 week later
#77 10 years ago

Well, The weather and my work schedule keep getting in the way so I have not been able to get the playfield clear coated yet. Since I couldn't do that I started working on the cabinet and some of the other assemblies and the ramp.

The cabinet had some chips out of it and some side rail dents in the backbox. The first thing was to glue the backbox wood back together.
backbox clamp.jpgbackbox clamp.jpg

Then I had to fill the missing wood edges with epoxy wood filler.
cab back putty.jpgcab back putty.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the sanded areas of both the backbox and cabinet.
cab.jpgcab.jpg dent 1 sanded.jpgdent 1 sanded.jpgdent 2 sanded.jpgdent 2 sanded.jpg

There are more areas to do but I am gonna make sure the paint I got matched works on the cab before I have to blend it on a visible surface. I will end up painting the entire front of the backbox.

I worked on the playfield backboard and I am trying some new flexible LEDs that will direct the light forward so it should be a vibrant illumination. As you can see I have 2 different colors. I put 4 cool white and 4 red in there. I thought it might look cool when the letters light up they are red. I will see what it looks like and make my decision.
backboard.jpgbackboard.jpg

I also took the speaker panel apart and put in purple and yellow LEDs. I used purple in my Congo and it was a very rich color. I think it will make the speaker panel pop.
speaker panel center.jpgspeaker panel center.jpg

I also started working on the ramp. I decided to go ahead and order a decal set as I want the game to be as nice as possible and as you can tell from the pictures, the ramp corner decals were not lined up right and look like crap. A couple others were not lined up either. A couple of domes have some edges coming up so I will replace those too. I will probably only use the ones that I need and save the others.
ramp big.jpgramp big.jpgramp left corner.jpgramp left corner.jpgramp right corner.jpgramp right corner.jpg

Took the ramp flaps off and they had some rust pits off. I worked and buffed them out and they look pretty nice. Now I have to decide if I am going to turn them blue again or clear them and leave them silver.
ramp flap.jpgramp flap.jpg

Going out of town Wednesday for three days so I hope to get the playfield cleared and start the cabinet touch up early next week.

#78 10 years ago

I used those same flex-head LED lights in my playfield backboard, I liked them at first, but I kind of find them a little overpowering now. But it was a *huge* positive change from the incandescent bulbs that were in there before.

#79 10 years ago

Got my decals in and decided to strip the ramp today and put the new decals on. This was about as fun as working on pop bumpers but it has to be done.

Here are a couple of pics of the original decals. Chewed up and not aligned very well.
decal 1.jpgdecal 1.jpgdecal 2.jpgdecal 2.jpg

Before removal, I used some blue mask on the top of the ramp to mark the placement of some of the decals so I can get them back exactly where they were.
blue tape.jpgblue tape.jpg

No the fun part. Pulled the decals off pretty easy. Just like mylar, the glue was left. I use TR-60 and flour and it takes the glue off without damaging the surface.
glue removal.jpgglue removal.jpg

Here al the decals are removed and you can see the decals that I marked for placement.
dcals removed.jpgdcals removed.jpg

I normally use a vinyl application fluid to put decals on but I have heard about people using Windex so I decided to try one like that. I did not really like it as the decal moved almost too easily. It was hard to wipe down and get the bubbles out without moving the decal all over the place. With my application fluid you can move the decal when its really wet but as soon as you make a swipe with your damp cloth, it is not going anywhere. Then you can work all the bubbles out and it sets pretty fast. There may be a better trick but this is just my first time observation. Here is the ramp with all decals applied.
finished.jpgfinished.jpg

Planning to do the final clear application tomorrow.

#80 10 years ago

Finally got the final clear on the playfield. I am really happy with the way it turned out. I will let it dry for 48 hours and then do some light block sanding and then buff it out for the final shine.

Here are a few pics of the playfield.
full.jpgfull.jpglow.jpglow.jpgmid.jpgmid.jpgupper.jpgupper.jpg

Here is a pic without the light glare.
back.jpgback.jpg

#81 10 years ago

Wow. Color me jealous!!

#82 10 years ago

Damn. That looks fantastic!

#83 10 years ago

great thread! Thanks for sharing your progress. I have never looked at bttf too closely. I love the trilogy, though, and this thread has me wanting to pick up a bttf now.

#84 10 years ago

You gonna throw any toys in that? I'm trying to figure out where to put one of these..

image.jpgimage.jpg
#85 10 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

You gonna throw any toys in that? I'm trying to figure out where to put one of these..

image.jpg 45 KB

Yes. I have a few things planned but I have never seen one of those. That would look cool on the right side pink area.

#86 10 years ago

I have seen people put the delorean model above the ramp. Looks really good and doesn't block view.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I have seen people put the delorean model above the ramp. Looks really good and doesn't block view.

I have 3 different very detailed deplore and that I will experiment with when done. I also have a plan for a topper that should be pretty cool

#88 10 years ago

I have the hotwheels DeLorean for my BTTF, but I haven't figured out where to put it yet. I'm not normally one for sticking toys in a machine.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

I have the hotwheels DeLorean for my BTTF, but I haven't figured out where to put it yet. I'm not normally one for sticking toys in a machine.

I agree that it has to be done right and add something to the machine. I don't add toys just because. Of the 17 machines I have the only one I have added anything too is F14.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-airplane-and-afterburner-mod

#90 10 years ago

I was able to get the final clear on the playfield Monday. I wet sanded the playfield starting with 1500 to take out any minor defects and then worked up to 3000 grit to get ready for final buffing.

Here is a picture of the playfield after the final clear was wet sanded.
sanded.jpgsanded.jpg

I used a high speed buffer and Treasure cove polishes and some Meguiars final polish. Here are three pics of the playfield using a flash to try and keep the glare down to show the colors.
low.jpglow.jpgmid.jpgmid.jpgupper.jpgupper.jpg

Here is a picture of the playfield showing the shine. Hey, is that a garage door on my playfield?

garage.jpggarage.jpg

#91 10 years ago

nice ! looks great

#92 10 years ago

Looks absolutely amazing! I said it before, but I'll say it again, it's nice to see a DE machine getting some love, and my favourite DE machine to boot.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

Looks absolutely amazing! I said it before, but I'll say it again, it's nice to see a DE machine getting some love, and my favourite DE machine to boot.

Thanks. I have several DE games and love them all. Now if I could just find a project GNR.

#94 10 years ago

somebody just posted one on here a few days ago i saw it yesterday...

#95 10 years ago

Its been a few days since an update. I have been working but have been able to get some things done between.

I was able to get the ramp totally rebuilt and ready to install. All decals are new except the top of the 3 light blocks on each side. I have new decals and will make the decision after I put it on the game if I need to cut new plastic and use the decals. The originals look pretty good so I may keep the new ones for future use.
ramp.jpgramp.jpg

A few days ago I was able to do my test paint on the corners of the Cabinet that were filled. The paint was thinned with 10% mineral spirits and the paint was airbrushed. I think the paint was still a little to thick and will use 15% for the back box. I am pretty happy with the results. There is still a little blending to do but overall I think it worked pretty well.
cab before.jpgcab before.jpgcab after.jpgcab after.jpg

Today I was able to paint the Inside, front and top of the back box. The before pictures are earlier in this thread. I used black primer due to the darker color of the blue paint.
back prime 1.jpgback prime 1.jpgback prime 2.jpgback prime 2.jpg

Once the primer was dry I sprayed the first coat of blue. I hope to spray the second coat tomorrow. I think two coats will cover very nicely.
back after 1.jpgback after 1.jpg

You can see a little of the black primer showing through. I think the second coat will cover this very well. I also need to use a little better lighting as it was hard to see how even the paint was going on. I went and bought new bulbs for my 500 watt shop light after I was done.
back after 2.jpgback after 2.jpg

When I started this project I had planned on just touching up the lower cabinet and painting the back box as shown followed by some hand touchups on the scratches. My detail half of my brain is trying to talk me into clear coating the entire cabinet and then restoring all the blue followed by clear coat. I am leaning this direction now as I want this machine to look as good as possible. I am in the process of making a paint booth and it all works out I will have a place to do this kind of stuff. I will let you know what I decide to do.

#96 10 years ago

I was able to get my paint booth made today and the second coat of paint on the back box. I bought a new set of paint guns at Harbor Freight and I thought I would give the detail gun a try today. I am really happy with the results. It put down a real even coat of paint.

Here are the Guns.
guns.jpgguns.jpg

Here are some after shots of the back box. You can see that the sheen is really even with good coverage.
bb 1.jpgbb 1.jpgbb 2.jpgbb 2.jpg

Here are some shots of the paint booth that I constructed. Its really easy to set up and I can put it together in 20 minutes. Here is what I used.
10x10 foot canopy
2 rolls of 10x25 plastic
2 fans and filters
9x12 painters canvas
kit.jpgkit.jpg

Here are a couple showing it ready to go. The exhaust fan vents right outside the garage. After I was done painting I turned the fans on and when I checked it 15 minutes later I could not smell a thing inside so it vented the air really well.
booth.jpgbooth.jpgfan.jpgfan.jpg

#97 10 years ago

that portable paintbooth should be a sticky in itself

#98 10 years ago

Would you recommend those guns for clearcoat?

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

Would you recommend those guns for clearcoat?

I have been using another gun for clearcoat but I will be testing this gun out on clearcoat in a couple of weeks. They seem to be very nice guns and dont feel cheap. I was very happy with the small gun. I have to head to Dallas for some recurrent training so wont be able to work on anything until the second week in March. Darn job is getting in the way of my hobbies. Wait, I guess its paying for them though.

#100 10 years ago

Yea it sucks when life gets in the way of fun stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-restoration/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.