• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by the_watcher87
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi all, first post on the forum.

I recently bought a Back to the Future pin at a local auction house here in Northern Ireland. I loved pinball when I was a kid and Back to the Future has always been my favourite movie so I decided I'd give it a go and won it. I repair mobile phones, computers and tablets for a living so I'm hoping fixing this up won't be too difficult.

I'm going to be completely honest from the get-go. I know nothing about maintaining pinball machines and whilst I can see there are a few what I hope to be small issues with this one I want to get it up and going to sit proud in my garage. I also know nothing of the lingo involved in pinball machines so I hope some of you more experienced guys can be patient and not laugh when I'm not using correct terminology etc.

They had the pinball machine up and running in the auction house and said it was working ok, it seemed to be from what I was seeing also.

I took delivery of the machine around 10 days ago and upon first starting it up it said MEMORY ERROR OPEN DOOR.

Could anyone show or tell me how to fix the following issues?

From reading a topic on the forum I believe this to be a battery issue? It won't allow me to post a link as I'm a member less than two days, sorry about that.
I believe an NVRAM chip will sort this but the place that sells them doesn't seem to ship to the UK.

Two of the drop targets are broken, I can find data east drop targets easily in the UK so getting those won't be a problem.

This is where my pin lingo is going to let me down, the 3 red bounce things up towards the top of the machine that should kick the pinball around do not seem to work at all. Is this a big repair job? I have no idea what the parts are called to even go searching for them.

A few of the bulbs are fused, would you guys recommend upgrading the system to LED?

I hope some of you can point me in the right direction of how to get this going, I have a very eager son and daughter wanting to play as well as myself

Thanks for your time
David

#2 1 year ago

Welcome aboard. There are a lot of good people here and lots of help. Open door is bad batteries. Check for keys inside the door and unlock tbe backbox. Hopefully batteris have not leaked onto your board. Nvram good choice@!!

#3 1 year ago

And yes leds as well. Cointaker , Pinball life to name a couple suppliers

#4 1 year ago

Have you guys any links please? Looking at a video on YouTube from TNT Amusements showing off one with LEDs and I definitely would like them.

#5 1 year ago

Lockwhenlit.com. for nvram
Cointaker.com. leds

#6 1 year ago

As mentioned, the game needs new batteries. A few inches right of top-dead-center of the backbox, you'll find 3 triple A batteries or an empty holder that needs 3 batteries.

I like Comet LEDs http://www.cometpinball.com/Brightness-Chart-s/1825.htm

NVRAM is good but not required. Lots of options available https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience

Your pop bumper issue could be something as simple as a fuse. Check the fuses with a DMM and crosscheck what's listed in the manual as they may be overrated http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=126

Welcome to pinside and the BTTF club!

#7 1 year ago

barakandl sells NVRAM at a great price, nvram.weebly.com

#8 1 year ago

Am I correct in saying if I buy one of those cheap NVRAM chips from AliExpress in the second post on that link that if just pop that in it'll work. I would have thought they'd have needed programming?

I haven't even opened the machines yet except the coin door

#9 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me where I could source LED lighting for this pinball in UK or Europe?

Shipping from CoinTaker is coming in at $44!!

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from the_watcher87:

Am I correct in saying if I buy one of those cheap NVRAM chips from AliExpress in the second post on that link that if just pop that in it'll work. I would have thought they'd have needed programming?
I haven't even opened the machines yet except the coin door

Or 3 double a batteries will fix it. I don’t remember the specifics but basically you’re having to reset the game every time you power on because it’s lost it’s memory because it doesn’t have power. Or something to that tune.

#11 1 year ago

Quick update

Decided to open the backglass this evening. Lock was stuck and just would not open with the key. I was able to drill out the lock and found out there was no batteries behind at all. Put in three AA batteries and no problem storing free play mode anymore.

I checked all fused behind and everything seemed good, I then decided to lift the playing field to find out why the pop bumpers weren't working. With some fiddling I got two working no problem but could not get the other going but the solenoid was working fine when I took away all the balls and it was trying to kick them out.

I then found out where what I believe is a resistor had disconnected from completing a circuit. I took my solder iron and resoldered this on and now have three perfectly working pop bumpers.

There was a couple of other switches on the playing field that also weren't working but I think it was maybe a small build up of dust or dirt on them as with a quick clean they are now working ok.

I am going to give the playing field a clean down over the weekend and look to see if I can source LEDs somewhere in the UK.

So far so good with this machine

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Orange Park, FL
$ 24.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
Project Pinball Charity

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside