• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Hello again from 10 months ago!
It's great to see the site more active than ever. I'm finally getting around to fixing up my BTTF pin and am not sure about a couple things...

1. Replacing a broken switch under the VUK. The old switch was not working well, til finally it stopped working at all.. the diode connected to it was broke.. a quick solder fixed it for about 10 uses. So now I have 2 types of switches on the way..
One is a DataEast switch with a diode already attached to it. It is very similar to the old switch. I also ordered a Wiliams/Bally switch that is also very similar, BUT does not have a diode connected to it. Is there a reason the diode is not included? I ordered both b/c they were cheap.. I plan to use the DE switch, but wanted the other as a backup, and possibly have a higher quality switch.
What can you tell me about these switches that I should know? I am a complete Pinball repair novice and I don't know what to look for.

2. Replacing old lights with LED's.. I do not understand the sizes of the bulbs. The machine I have seems to use mostly the same size bulbs, very small with small bulb heads.. included with my BTTF was a few different size bulbs that I can not seem to find where they go, 3/4 of all the bulbs are too big to go anywhere.
What size LED's should I be ordering? The pinball manual that came with the machine does not list bulb sizes. I am not sure what to do. What type of regular LED bulbs should I order? Colored is not important to me, I just want nice low heat LED bulbs that use less wattage.

Thanks a million guys. This site has been great, along with the pinball parts suppliers thread, lots of nice info.

#2 13 years ago

And... what are 444's and 55's.. or is it 44's and 555's.. I don't know! LOL
Does this have to do with a bulb size/type? I'm assuming it does.

thanks!

X_X

#3 13 years ago

Hello!

I have added some LEDs into my BTTF pin and if I recall the bulbs you re looking for are the 44 and 555 types. As such, the LED sizes should be the same (i.e. 44 and 555). I seem to recall ordering mine from Pinball Life ( http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=192&pg=1 ). This is a great place to buy items as they are good quality, ship fast, and has fantastic support!

As for the switch repair, regretfully I am not very knowledgeable thus am not much help here. I am sorry.

Always...

#4 13 years ago

If your machine has a diode on the switch, which most do, then all you need to do is solder a diode onto the replacement switch. Make sure you use the old one as a template so you have the banded side on the correct lug. Since you have one with the diode already on it then just use that one.

Most modern pins use #44/47s (6.3v bayonet base), #555s (6.3v Wedge base) and #89s (13v flashers). Most bulbs have the number stamped or inked on the socket part. The LED will be the same size. Read the sticky on LEDs to get info on which to buy. The GI lamps are the most important as they are always on. Recommend warm white for most backbox applications as they most resemble incandescents.
Try www.cointaker.com for your LEDs. They have the best selection.

#5 13 years ago

thanks for your help

santeh- I did do a search and found where you had replaced your lights in your BTTF. It looks great the way you fixed it up. I can't wait to get started... when I get home this morning I will check out which bulbs I need and buy some.

seal- thanks for the link.. I checked that place out in the "vendors" sticky. great selection.

Soon I will get some some before and after pics, sometime next week, probably later.
=D

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-question-about-a-couple-repairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.