Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210308_015303 (resized).jpg
20210308_015249 (resized).jpg
20210308_015246 (resized).jpg
20210308_015235 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hey I'm restoring a Back to the Future machine. Almost done and turned it on but I have 2 problems currently that I can't find help too anywhere.
1st problem deals with the Alphanumeric Board. The previous owner added a new rottendog board to the game and it is still relatively new but when the game turns on, the board only partially works with like every letter or number or symbol is only partially brought up and not the whole letter or word.
2nd problem, so when turned in the game will start and play all correctly, even with the display problem, but when the first ball locks for multiball, it won't eject the 2nd ball onto the playfield to continue playing. It will just sit there and wait until it starts running through all the test switches and eject the 1st ball back onto the playfield. I thought about doing a switch test to see if there was any problem with the switches but I can't navigate the service menu cause the display is all jumbled.
I kind of think that the problem deals with my MPU but I'm not sure. It boots correctly and its not bringing up any problems with the PIA, blanking, or +5 Leds. I've replaced the batteries, looked all over the board for problems or damage but I can't seem to find any, and I'm kind of wondering if I just have a bad chip somewhere in the board or whatnot. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

Post a picture of the MPU with a focus on the battery area.

#3 3 years ago
20210308_015235 (resized).jpg20210308_015235 (resized).jpg20210308_015246 (resized).jpg20210308_015246 (resized).jpg20210308_015249 (resized).jpg20210308_015249 (resized).jpg20210308_015303 (resized).jpg20210308_015303 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Looks like you are VERY fortunate. Before doing ANYTHING else to your machine, do yourself a massive favor and get those batteries off the main board pronto.

Mount them remotely at the very least using a battery holder and 2 or 3 ft of wire.

Leaky batteries will destroy the main board and cost you hundreds.

#5 3 years ago

Confirm, with the game off, that pin 1 on the display ribbon cable is on the red side on both the MPU and Display. Looks to me like the display was hooked up incorrectly.

#6 3 years ago

Okay that fixed the display problem! That was a simple fix! But my multiball is still not working right though!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from MTPinball:

Okay that fixed the display problem! That was a simple fix! But my multiball is still not working right though!

Now that you have the display working, go in and check the switches. The ones for the locks in particular.

#8 3 years ago

Its showing that all the lock switches are working correctly. So I'm looking into checking the ball trough switches to see if there's a problem there.

Also I forgot to mention, my plan is to take the batteries out and go with a NVRAM chip in n the board to avoid acid accidents.

#9 3 years ago

Nevermind! I found the first ball locks switch wasn't going off with the ball hitting it so I tweaked it and its at 100%

3 weeks later
#10 3 years ago

I have a Back to the Future pinball machine. It plays well but one of the legs is bent and I was thinking about replacing the legs. The current legs are 28.5 inches. My questions is what length legs came with the machine initially?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.