Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've got some odd issues going on with my Back to the Future. I'm thinking I have some sort of issue with the power supply board. Here is what has been going on.

1. The machine won't always turn on. The lights come on but there is no score display and no sound. Sometimes the vuk will lock on. If I unplug the connectors on the power supply board and plug them back in it will usually turn on and everything will be fine.

2. Now the bumpers and slingshots will not fire. In diagnostic mode they won't fire either. Some of the flashers listed under the coil test are no longer working either. The right sling did fire once this morning then very weakly after that. Now they won't fire at all.

3. The machine will randomly reset. When that happens it will usually be playable. But every once in a while it will totally lock up and the display and sound will go out like when I try to turn it on.

It all seems related to the power supply. I'm going to have some time later today to look into it more. But if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them!

#3 9 years ago

I'm gonna take a look and check voltage right now. I just checked the machine before jumping on here and in diagnostics during the coil test for the slings, if I hold the start button they will both fire after a while, albeit very weakly.

#4 9 years ago

A little update here before I have to go mow the lawn.

I fiddled with the CN1 connector on the Power Supply Board and everything is working now. I am wondering if I need to replace the connectors. Both the male and female for CN1 area little toasty. However I think there may be something else going on. I measured the voltages on the CN1 connector on pin 10, 11, and 12 and got 4, 6 and 2 respectively. It looks like 10 and 11 should both be 9 and pin 12 should be the ground. Not sure what to make of that.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

CN1 pins 10 and 11 are AC. You would need to test with your DMM in AC mode and put one lead on pin 10 and one on pin 11. More importantly though, if the AC input to the board is flaking out at the connector this would affect the output voltages. Monitor the 5 volts at the test point and wiggle the connector. If you see any fluctuation then I would rebuild CN1 (of course if the connector is burnt it needs to be rebuilt anyways, but this test will confirm it is your problem).

Thank you for all the advice so far terryb. It is much appreciated!

The numbers I gave earlier were what I was getting in AC mode. The DMM I have automatically switches between AC and DC. Not sure what to make of the numbers then.

I just got done monitoring the 5 volt test point. I did get it to fluctuate by turning off the game, then unplugging and plugging back in the CN1 connector. When the game would operate fine it was at 5. But when it would turn on and be locked up it was between 0-2.

So it appears this may be the issue. My only other concern now is the readings I was get on pins 10, 11, and 12 on the CN1 connector. But it does look like the CN1 connector could be the culprit.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I'd replace the connector and then go from there.

Thanks again for all the help terryb. I'm going to order the connector replacement kit for the CN1 and report back with my results.

I think I am also going to order a new capacitor for the C7 on the Power Supply. It looks like mine leaked at some point. There isn't any damage but I think it should be replaced. Odd thing though. In looking at the capacitor in the manual it says it is a 100 uf 25v, the one on my board is 100 uf 16v. I need to do some more digging, but it appears the one on my board is the wrong one.

#10 9 years ago

I replace the female end of the CN1 last night to see if that was the issue. Since doing that I've had no issues! I'm still going to replace the CN1 on the Power Supply Board and that capacitor when I get a chance.

Thanks again for the help terryb!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-possible-power-issue-all-sorts-of-weird-going-on?tu=gern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.