3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 278 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by robotron911
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

https _media.giphy.com_media_iIrZzCacIcL3G_giphy (resized).png
    44FEBE6D-0437-470C-B174-F6A7032E62BB.gif
    serveimage (resized).jpg
    sly_lethal_weapon (resized).png
    A94A0A6A-7CC7-4541-8D86-61C3F8F0EDC8 (resized).jpeg
    Rocky (resized).jpg
    8693B803-6994-47AA-814F-863796BB71B0 (resized).png
    770549CA-E9A5-4092-B25D-F0172E48ECC5 (resized).png
    E3E07EA7-AF63-4CE7-B966-F506AD8991B7 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    czfvfdfd (resized).JPG
    p849_v_v8_ab (resized).jpg
    PhilExp-movie-poster (resized).jpg
    05027beced73af32c22b62f34d24eb9669a57eb6 (resized).jpg
    2jz5ec (resized).jpg
    3162030205001_4623757311001_automan (resized).jpg

There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 73 days ago

Just thought about the Sparks and smoke thing again. What about killing jaws with the wire. Sparks and smoke. 80's theme everyone is wanting Hmmmm.

#202 73 days ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

it starts with pinside, then you get some uber fan that starts contacting the IP holder if its true because they cant wait and see, and it turns into a mess. just look what happened with predator (though that was for a different reason).

Predator was certainly brought to the attention of 20th Century Fox, like you said though that was for different reasons/concerns.

But it clearly didn’t faze Fox as they then licensed Alien to Heighway.

I just hope DpR or anyone for that matter have BTTF licensed, I’d love to see another BTTF pin, hopefully this time a good one with all parties involved.

#203 73 days ago

Only 4 months until TPF. I am looking forward to what gets revealed, including the pricing.

#204 73 days ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Just thought about the Sparks and smoke thing again. What about killing jaws with the wire. Sparks and smoke. 80's theme everyone is wanting Hmmmm.

I’ll take BTTF or JAWS, ideally I’ll take one of each!

#205 73 days ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I just hope DpR or anyone for that matter have BTTF licensed, I’d love to see another BTTF pin, hopefully this time a good one with all parties involved.

agreed... it's one of the most recognizable 80s movies by kids and adults (fact). The fact that there's been 4 star wars pins (data east, sega, williams, stern, 5 if you include the hankin empire strikes back ) and only one BTTF pin makes no sense. With that said, I just don't want to see it get ruined by people trolling with photoshop bombs.

#206 73 days ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

But that's Jaws 2! Everybody wants the first one: "Smile, you son of a..."

#207 73 days ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

The fact that there's been 4 star wars pins (data east, sega, williams, stern, 5 if you include the hankin empire strikes back ) and only one BTTF pin makes no sense.

Sure it does.

Worldwide total franchise box office gross:
    BTTF: $961,613,516
    Star Wars: $9,299,479,675 (10 times as much)

BTTF: 3 films over a 5-year span, newest one 28 years old.
    Star Wars: 10 films (11 if you count Clone Wars) over a 41-year span, newest one 6 months old, with more on the way.

#208 73 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Star Wars: 10 films (11 if you count Clone Wars) over a 41-year span, newest one 6 months old, with more on the way.

true, but if film count is justification for good themes why is there only the one gottlieb freddy pinball? He made 9 movies (and rumored to be coming back for a 10th). They made 18 laurel and hardy movies, they only got prospector. If highest grossing movie is what justifies a good movie, star wars is ranked #2, gone with the wind is still number 1 (adjusted for inflation). Where's my gone with the wind pinball?

Good theme should be about recognition, which is why they made AC/DC pinball. Beatles is the highest selling artist (hence why we have it now, but took 10 years to get the license), followed by Garth brooks. AC/DC is all the way down at #10.

And yes, BTTF is only a trilogy because the directors agreed it doesn't need any sequels which is respectable, compared to Disney churning out whatever they can make money on. I don't follow star wars, but friends that are say the latest ones suck and have tainted the entire series because of the direction they went. However, like Ben heck has said, I do think a reboot of BTTF would be interesting now that we're in the future, and speculating what the year 2045 is like would be fun. Everyone driving electric cars through underground tunnels. Maybe teens are so socially awkward from only communicating via text that Marty has to coach his future grandson how to be a person.

#209 73 days ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

true, but if film count is justification for good themes why is there only the one gottlieb freddy pinball? He made 9 movies (and rumored to be coming back for a 10th). They made 18 laurel and hardy movies, they only got prospector. If highest grossing movie is what justifies a good movie, star wars is ranked #2, gone with the wind is still number 1 (adjusted for inflation). Where's my gone with the wind pinball?
    Good theme should be about recognition, which is why they made AC/DC pinball. Beatles is the highest selling artist (hence why we have it now, but took 10 years to get the license), followed by Garth brooks. AC/DC is all the way down at #10.
    And yes, BTTF is only a trilogy because the directors agreed it doesn't need any sequels which is respectable, compared to Disney churning out whatever they can make money on. I don't follow star wars, but friends that are say the latest ones suck and have tainted the entire series because of the direction they went. However, like Ben heck has said, I do think a reboot of BTTF would be interesting now that we're in the future, and speculating what the year 2045 is like would be fun. Everyone driving electric cars through underground tunnels. Maybe teens are so socially awkward from only communicating via text that Marty has to coach his future grandson how to be a person.

I'm still waiting for the first police academy pin...

#210 73 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

The thought of a Bill & Ted Pin made me smile altough I've not seen the movie often. (The second never.)

Police Academy I watched the first 6 movies over and over as a kid, really loving it. But I feel no connection or lasting appeal to it now. Maybe all the iterations just killed it. Dead as a doornail.

#211 72 days ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

if film count is justification for good themes why is there only the one gottlieb freddy pinball?

Film count AND revenue. All nine Freddy movies add up to less than Attack of the Clones by itself. You limit your audience a lot with an R rating. And they're not popular outside of the states (this is huge for pinball, and why Archer wasn't made). And the entire franchise focuses on a single cornball, grotesque character. And most of those movies are crappy and interchangeable.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't follow star wars,

Makes sense that you don't understand how it got more pins than pedestrian licenses like BTTF. Star Wars is the granddaddy, the big kahuna, the top dog of licensing toys, games, merchandise, etc. Billions of dollars in non-film revenue per yer. Your disinterest in it doesn't change that fact. Guess how many Freddys and Marty McFlys rang my doorbell this Halloween. That's right, zero. Now guess how many Star Wars characters. I lost count, but way more than zero.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

They made 18 laurel and hardy movies, they only got prospector.

gone with the wind is still number 1 (adjusted for inflation). Where's my gone with the wind pinball?

Pretty sure I don't need to dignify these two with a response.

#212 72 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

“I need to get my hands on some young healthy men.”

“Well....I’m sure there are places you can go....certain bars or whatnot. Does Margret know about this?”

#213 72 days ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:They made 18 laurel and hardy movies, they only got prospector.

Don't forget Flicker.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #214 72 days ago

Stallone may be one of the busiest lead actors and he has one stinking pin? 8 Rocky’s, 5 Rambo’s and 3 Expendables. Come on Deeproot, give this man a pin. Ps - I’m pretty sure many of these films occurred in the 80’s

770549CA-E9A5-4092-B25D-F0172E48ECC5 (resized).png

E3E07EA7-AF63-4CE7-B966-F506AD8991B7 (resized).png

8693B803-6994-47AA-814F-863796BB71B0 (resized).png

#215 72 days ago

Demo man makes up for all of them. Custom Sly callouts for the win! Reeeeplayy

#216 71 days ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Stallone may be one of the busiest lead actors and he has one stinking pin?

Rocky begs to differ.
    Rocky (resized).jpg

#217 71 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Rocky begs to differ.
    [quoted image]

That’s the first and last one ... 1 incredibly talented man and 1 pinball machine. Does DM count? I guess it does and Stallone has 2 pins. Another is still needed, but not as badly.

#218 71 days ago

Give us a Rambo for goodness sake. Not the red headed stepchild Raven. I guess Judge Dredd dont count since it was based on the comic.

#219 71 days ago

Rambo with bumpers being machine gun fire and DMD of dudes getting shot to shit.

First Blood would be the best theme though!

#220 71 days ago

I vote Cop Land. Stallone at his most bad ass... and most doughy.

A94A0A6A-7CC7-4541-8D86-61C3F8F0EDC8 (resized).jpeg
    #221 70 days ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I vote Cop Land

sly_lethal_weapon (resized).png
    #222 70 days ago

I was considering themes to base the next license pin. Doesn’t matter if it is done by Deeproot, JJP, Stern, American Pinball, Chicago Gaming Co or other. The greatest movie licenses without a pinball machine and filtered by ones I feel would work. In no order - James Bond (don’t like first pin), Mission Impossible, Harry Potter, Planet of the Apes (maybe AP should target this one), Mad Max, Muppets, Hunger Games. I count seven themes, and many would make a dream theme.

Notice we DID NOT SEE - Jaws, Pirates of the Caribbean, Munsters, Oktoberfest, Beatles, Godzilla nor Back to the Future. All of which make excellent themes in spite of the snub. Good thing too, because we should be seeing all of them soonish. Other theme that didn’t make that I wish would happen -> Monty Python & Rambo ...

Trautman: You're not hunting him.... he's hunting you.

John Rambo: They drew first blood, not me.
    John Rambo: Don't Push it. ...

Teasle: Whatever possessed God in heaven to make a man like Rambo?
    Trautman: God didn't make Rambo.I made him.

#223 70 days ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I’ll take BTTF or JAWS, ideally I’ll take one of each!

MY MAN!

#224 70 days ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I was considering themes to base the next license pin. Doesn’t matter if it is done by Deeproot, JJP, Stern, American Pinball, Chicago Gaming Co or other. The greatest movie licenses not yet done in Pinball and filtered by the ones I think would work. In no order - James Bond (don’t like first one), Mission Impossible, Harry Potter, Planet of the Apes (maybe AP should be awarded this one), Mad Max, Muppets, Hunger Games. I count seven dream themes not yet made.
    Notice we DID NOT SEE - Jaws, Pirates of the Caribbean, Munsters, Oktoberfest, Godzilla nor Back to the Future. All of which make excellent themes in spite of the snub. Good thing too, because we should be seeing all of them soonish.

Stern is still working tv shows right now. Your call is important to us...please stay on the line.

#225 70 days ago

Theme miss of the century:

serveimage (resized).jpg

I plan on eventually converting a demo man to a Holy Grail.

#226 70 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Theme miss of the century:
    [quoted image]
    I plan on eventually converting a demo man to a Holy Grail.

Agree with this ^^^ any form of monty python would be my grail pin. Holy Grail would be the obvious choice and best choice.

#227 70 days ago

Medieval Madness has a lot of Holy Grail flavor. Clearly a lot of Monty Python influence.

#228 66 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

How about the Fast and Furious franchise?

$5,132,000,000

8 films over a 16 year span with more planned on the way.

All released in the 21st century

Numerous licensed arcade and sit down driving games

And the biggest number of all-

ZERO... pinball machines.

#229 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm sort of amazed there isn't one.. the arcade got a game.

#230 66 days ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm sort of amazed there isn't one.. the arcade got a game.

It is either because the pinball manufacturers are so out of tune with the 21st century, which has become pretty obvious lately, or there hasn't been enough demand for it on pinside is all I can think of.

#231 63 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

$5,132,000,000
    8 films over a 16 year span with more planned on the way.
    All released in the 21st century
    Numerous licensed arcade and sit down driving games
    And the biggest number of all-
    ZERO... pinball machines.

44FEBE6D-0437-470C-B174-F6A7032E62BB.gif

#232 63 days ago

Don't you even wonder what manufacturers could have accomplished way back with toaday's technologie? Well, I think that time is now. Pinball was alive in the 90's and died out. Now it's back and the possibilities are huge, way better than we have all seen back then.

Also BTTF seems to be better ported to a pin theme than most of the suggested titles I've seen in this thread.

Rocky? Well, we all seen the wrestlemania theme or the WWF
    Rambo? really?
    Jaws? Makes me think about Baywatch. How can it be ported? Collect a gas canister and try to shoot it? Chew away some innocent bathing people?
    Fast and the furious?

When I think of "portable" titles I think of BTTF. There are so many different things to chose from which you can use from the movie.
    Jurassic Park might be a great theme as well, but quite frankly I think the JP pin is a great pin (one of the few great DE games).

Rambo could be a great videogame though. Fast and Furious? I see some old lady get batted down for no reason in the middle of the street, cop chases, steeling cars... o wait.

#233 62 days ago

I would buy bttf immediately if done good.
    But no money in preorder, only when my distributor would arrive at the doorstep with the game.

#234 62 days ago

Too bad they couldn't have made it happen back in 2015. that would have been awesome.

#235 62 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Teenage boys don't buy 6k toys.

#236 62 days ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Teenage boys don't buy 6k toys.

The first F&F film was in 2001.. Wasn't it you that said nostalgia has about a 20 year trailing? The teenage boys that watched the first film are now between 31-35, perfect age for disposable income. In a couple years they'll be clamoring for one.

#237 62 days ago

Yes we all know the only fans of cars are teenage boys. No car collectors on pinside!

#238 62 days ago

They did make a Transformers pin.... The people who like those movies are the same fans as the Fast and Furious movies. They'd probably do ok. Not my cup of tea, but it would sell...

#239 62 days ago

Kids weren't playing pinball in 2001. The market for pinball is not about disposable income as much as exposure. If you're currently not 35+, you're out of the target market. These toys are so expensive that you have to LOVE pinball to purchase them. That being said, they do incorporate new licences that are also pin-crowd friendly to attempt to draw in a new crowd. With all the recycling going on, it's clear that it isn't working as well as they would like. Car games haven't done that well in the past, and F&F is, as you have said, a 2001+ franchise that may not do so well. I, for one, and thankful to the pingods that they didn't make one.

#240 62 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

These toys are so expensive that you have to LOVE pinball to purchase them.

Or just have a ton of monies and space.

#241 62 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or just have a ton of monies and space.

I'd argue that relatively wealthy people wouldn't drop 6k+ on something they aren't really interested in. Most make money by making smart choices. Trump proves that isn't always the case.

#242 62 days ago

I agree the majority of buyers are lovers, but I think just like anything else people get in & out of the hobby all the time.
    I think there's probably a sizable chunk of people that have a shit of cash and just check boxes. "ok juke box, big screen , bar, what else can I put here...?"
    I could be wrong though.

#243 62 days ago

Is Stern more concerned with putting out games to do well on location or the private collection? I'm not a big fan of Stern because everything is licensed but I dig Metallica and Ghostbusters a lot. Honestly, when I saw a Ghostbusters in a bar a few years ago its what kickstarted my interest in pinball in general. Generally the titles are based on what's selling. AKA the immersion of superhero games.

#244 62 days ago

My research shows only one provable common connection between pinheads and that is an affinity for mind altering experiences or substances, whether that be lights, motion, sound, music, adrenaline, weed, beer, hard liquor, wine, meth, or crack... which I think half of Pinside is on half the time.

#245 62 days ago
    Quoted from Pwaka1986:

Is Stern more concerned with putting out games to do well on location or the private collection? I'm not a big fan of Stern because everything is licensed but I dig Metallica and Ghostbusters a lot. Honestly, when I saw a Ghostbusters in a bar a few years ago its what kickstarted my interest in pinball in general. Generally the titles are based on what's selling. AKA the immersion of superhero games.

I think Stern's primary market is still location; it's what kept the company alive, and I would guess their location orders are still bigger than their collector orders. But the introduction of the LE bullshit clearly shows that the collector market is significant.

#246 62 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I think Stern's primary market is still location; it's what kept the company alive, and I would guess their location orders are still bigger than their collector orders. But the introduction of the LE bullshit clearly shows that the collector market is significant.

Right but how much does the extra profit form the prem+ models bridge that gap? That will always be the question and we'll probably never know sadly.

#247 62 days ago

Yeah, we'd need numbers for that.

#248 62 days ago

you know pinball machines are a lot like cars...

#249 62 days ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

you know pinball machines are a lot like cars...

Very expensive and always breaking?

#250 62 days ago

double post

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 21.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 199.99
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 1,000.00
    There are 278 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside