By the_watcher87

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180120_110130 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_watcher87.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi, hope you will be able to help me.

Bought a BTTF Data East pin back in October and I had a couple of things to sort on it. Namely new drop targets and I wanted to install an NVRAM chip. I had just been using AA batteries since I bought it.

This week the machine stopped on Monday, it would just light up but no startup sound or no way to start a game. I took the batteries out and it fired up so I assumed just flat batteries. I fitted the NVRAM chip and again fired up ok.

Today I decided to replace the drop targets, I got them fitted no problem but upon starting the machine up the pop bumpers and slingshots will not work. I had a play around inside but can't see anything out of ordinary. Then the machines went back to no startup sound? So far I have removed 3 boards from behind the backglass for a visual inspection and no burn marks or anything. After and hour of fiddling around basically plugging stuff in and out it'll boot now again but pop bumpers and slingshots aren't working.

I have checked all fuses etc and all look fine, I have read the manual and to be honest I'm a total newbie with pins so don't really know what I'm doing. I have been searching google and this is the only thing I am coming across on this site.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index1.htm#fuses

Flippers don't work, and Neither do the Special Coils.
The flippers do not work during game play, and all or some of the special coils (pop bumpers, slingshots) do not work either. If the fuses are Ok, check the chips at locations 12B and 12A (7402). Often the chip at 12B will fail, causing the flippers and the special coils to not work. The chip at 12B is also used to enable "blanking". If this chip has failed, often the CPU will not even boot properely.

Can anyone tell me where this 12B chip is? I am at a total loss.

Thankful for any help
David

#3 6 years ago

I just visually inspected them, I can't currently find my multimeter so I'll have to go buy one tomorrow. If they do indeed all check out as well as those voltages whereabouts is that chip they talk about on that page?

#6 6 years ago

Found the chips, thanks guys. By the looks of things they are indeed 7402. The chips look fine front and back, I had that board out last night seeing if I could see any marks anywhere.

I've ordered a multimeter from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. Is there a way to test the chips to see if they're functioning correctly?

The power supply is the original DE one, the caps look ok but as we know that doesn't necessarily mean that they are fine. Again what's the best way to test that?

Sorry for all the questions, feel like I've been thrown in at the deep end here.

20180120_110130 (resized).jpg20180120_110130 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

I agree I am just overthinking it and dreading worst case scenario. Can't do much until the multimeter arrives really, one query though.

In that quote it says about flippers not working. Mine are?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_watcher87.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-help?tu=the_watcher87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.