(Topic ID: 250802)

Back To The Future different EPROM versions?

By jimgravina

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

New to the pin world and have been doing a lot of general research. I found that the installed EPROM on my Back To The Future pin is Version 2.7, but on the ipdb.org I see a 2.8 version of the EPROM.

Is there any benefit to upgrading to this version? Anyway to tell what has changed from 2.7 to 2.8 or why its different?

Thank You!
    Jim

01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Any change log information used to be available at Stern pinball, but with their website revamp looks like you can't even download the code.

At any rate, usually it's a good idea to get the latest version, but if it's playing fine, I wouldn't bother. (Well, I would, but I have an eprom burner....). Chances are that whatever was changed isn't affecting your game. New chip(s) will run you between $10 and $20 depending on where you order it from if you really want to grab it.

#3 4 years ago

changes would be minor . if its a big update they used to change the first # ie3.0

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Any change log information used to be available at Stern pinball, but with their website revamp looks like you can't even download the code.
    At any rate, usually it's a good idea to get the latest version, but if it's playing fine, I wouldn't bother. (Well, I would, but I have an eprom burner....). Chances are that whatever was changed isn't affecting your game. New chip(s) will run you between $10 and $20 depending on where you order it from if you really want to grab it.

Yeah I came across all of this by looking into changing/adding custom sounds to the pin. More for curiosity, don’t think I would actually do it but it would be pretty bad ass to change the callouts to actual sound bites from the movie

#5 4 years ago

If that's via some aftermarket sound board mod, you probably don't have to worry about the core software version on the game as the aftermarket stuff hooks into the existing sound calls, which wouldn't change (unless the sound roms had changed as well).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-different-eprom-versions?hl=jimgravina and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.