Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Norcalpin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (resized).jpg
    bt2tf910 (resized).jpg
    95a0bc27053dab7d0fc4140816c6bd64 (resized).jpg
    Needles.JPG (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200802-222416_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Back-to-the-Future-35th-Anniversary-Trilogy-Giftset-4k-Blu-ray-open-900px (resized).jpg
    DBE7C731-D7B5-42EB-B551-EA1204CAB23B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

As far as I understand it, 35mm film equates to apx 2k digital image detail. So a Blu Ray is essentially a master copy of the original film. Anything higher than this, like 4k, is just an artificial pre-upscaling of the image. If so, it seems reasonable that eventually consumer grade equipment would be able to apply that same upscaling to a Blu Ray image.

Actually, I'm pretty sure 35mm is equivalent to slightly higher than 4k resolution...and if you start talking IMAX footage, it's way higher than that. That said, the true benefit of 4K isn't the extra resolution...it's the color depth and HDR. The resolution bump can sometimes be noticeable, but as mentioned above, it's definitely at the point of diminishing returns. The color depth and contrast improvement from HDR though...that's huge on a well adjusted display. I was a doubter up until I finally made the upgrade a few months ago. Yeah...blu is awesome...but 4k is definitely on another level. As with every format though...a lot depends on how well it was mastered and transferred. A great Blu will still look better than a crappy 4k. But all things equal, 4k blows it away, and I never expected to say that.

And that's only half the story. Dolby Atmos / DTS:X are the other half, and are another huge leap forward, but on the audio side. Yes, you can get those on standard Blu, but its much more prevalent on 4k.

Good Blu is a perfect picture. Good 4K is a window you could reach into.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

35mm isn't really able to be directly compared to 4K or 1080P, 8K, etc in terms of "resolution". 4K, et al are based on pixels - 35mm is based on a subjective idea of "clarity" - But the industry comparison as far as "how small can a bit of text get and still stay in focus" lines up 35mm and 4K fairly well. Vistavision / IMAX are another level, being 70mm, there is -theoretically- the ability to get much more detail. IMAX is typically more of a frame rate thing though - 48fps for example.
    I'm not aware of any regular 1080p Blurays that also feature Atmos/DTS:X soundtracks - are there any? Atmos is pretty awesome as a show-off type feature (think like audio 3D).
    anyway, if you have a HUUUUUGE tv (like 75" and up), 4K looks awesome, and visibly better than a regular 1080P bluray, but otherwise you're not going to be able to take advantage of the upgrade.

Mostly agree. On my 65", you can definitely see the resolution difference, but it isn't huge. If you A-B back and forth, the difference is apparent (again, with a good source), but I'm not sure if I could pick out one or the other on resolution alone. The contrast and color depth from HDR though...that CAN be very dramatic on any size display. That was my biggest surprise making the upgrade.

Yes, there are a few standard Blu-rays with Atmos, but not many. The TMNT reboots, Bumblebee, and most of the DC Universe movies are a few examples. I think the newest Jurassic World movie has a DTS:X track. Definitely not many compared to 4k discs though.

After being a huge DVD and Blu-ray home theater enthusiast, I resisted 4k for a very long time thinking there was no way the upgrade would be worth it. I was wrong. On average it definitely isn't as huge as the leap from VHS to DVD or the jump from DVD to Blu, but it is definitely a very fun upgrade.

#97 3 years ago

I do not have experience with OLED, but I will say that the new Samsung QLEDs (Q70 and up at least) are surprisingly good at black levels. I upgraded from an older LED which was higher end at the time, and the difference was night and day. The multizone localized dimming really makes a big difference.

As for the 8k...why? What will you watch on it? I do not think there is any source material available, or if there is, there sure isn't much.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-4k?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.