Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Norcalpin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (resized).jpg
    bt2tf910 (resized).jpg
    95a0bc27053dab7d0fc4140816c6bd64 (resized).jpg
    Needles.JPG (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200802-222416_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Back-to-the-Future-35th-Anniversary-Trilogy-Giftset-4k-Blu-ray-open-900px (resized).jpg
    DBE7C731-D7B5-42EB-B551-EA1204CAB23B (resized).jpeg
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #52 3 years ago

I would love to buy a BTTF pin but please not made by Stern.

#53 3 years ago

Thought it was a done deal that Stern have this license??

And as it will be their biggest title for years, Keith will get it for sure.

Hopefully it's not too far advanced, as 4k footage will be superb.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I don't know how many times I've bought back to the future over the years... But I think it's enough. VHS. Dvd. Blu ray. Now 4k? I think blu ray holds up just fine.

What no CED or laserdisc?

I love the scene when the go to the 2015 future and the garbage in the alley were lsserdiscs.

bt2tf910 (resized).jpgbt2tf910 (resized).jpg
    #55 3 years ago

People should have a pair of Calvin Klein underwear to keep in the coin door for cleaning and dusting.

#56 3 years ago

I would be in for an LE as an insta-buy.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

I would be in for an LE as an insta-buy.

Me too!

#58 3 years ago

Not bad. She seemed to fall in love with her dance partner which seems to be pretty common.

#59 3 years ago

If Stern do actually make BTTF, stainless steel rails etc and cut them like the STLE rails with the deloreon and fire tracks that have chasing LEDs.

Franchi would have been my pic for the art on this one but Yeti could probably smash a realistic take on the art just don’t use johnny crap.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya there. We've now entered the territory of diminishing returns when it comes to comparing Blu-Ray vs 4k Ultra HD. The jump from VHS to DVD and DVD to Blu-Ray were huge but the jump from Blu-Ray to 4k Ultra HD isn't as a pronounced in my opinion. Will just wait for the 8k Ultra Super HD release

As far as I understand it, 35mm film equates to apx 2k digital image detail. So a Blu Ray is essentially a master copy of the original film. Anything higher than this, like 4k, is just an artificial pre-upscaling of the image. If so, it seems reasonable that eventually consumer grade equipment would be able to apply that same upscaling to a Blu Ray image.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from melappels:

I would love to buy a BTTF pin but please not made by Stern.

Stern could make a special edition where your game is already 15 plays in the future and the playfield is all beat up and chipped. No extra charge.

#62 3 years ago

Whoever does it just dont botch it up. No weird non actor voice overs, no home brew music, no weird cabinet art, no ridiculous topper (heres looking at you r2). This better be as solid as it can get.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Whoever does it just dont botch it up. No weird non actor voice overs, no home brew music, no weird cabinet art, no ridiculous topper (heres looking at you r2). This better be as solid as it can get.

We all know the only guy they could afford is biff, the “Ernie hudson” of the franchise. Man I wish Williams were making this game they’d get the whole cast!

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We all know the only guy they could afford is biff, the “Ernie hudson” of the franchise. Man I wish Williams were making this game they’d get the whole cast!

I don’t think Christopher Lloyd would be all that expensive! He could do custom speech that comes with the topper

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I don’t think Christopher Lloyd would be all that expensive! He could do custom speech that comes with the topper

Not sure what part is sarcastic but I highly doubt they could afford Lloyd.

They looked into hiring Neuman to do JP voiceovers and couldn’t afford him so what does that tell you.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP would create a loaded BTTF game with far deeper and higher quality code that spans all 3 films. With Stern we may get no assets (you play as Marty!) and 6 modes with only the first film being covered for $6k - $9k+...

yes but JJP tends to make the code so over the top, that the game stops being interesting and fun and you want to walk away because everything is lit, and it's overly complicated and loses the fun factor. Stern is very good at balancing between fun and deep.

#67 3 years ago

FYI: Target has the 4K preorder $10 cheaper than Amazon

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ramjet:

FYI: Target has the 4K preorder $10 cheaper than Amazon

Sweet, thanks

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It would be good timing for Stern to release a new Back to the Future game as it's the 35th anniversary this year! However, if Stern does get Back to the Future they better get actor voice and video assets from all 3 films and not pull some Jurassic Park or Walking Dead half licensing B.S.

No doubt, JP license was such a disappointment.....I'd love to see this game remade by someone other than Stern

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why pay for the whole cast!? They should have Stern employees dress up as the characters. Uncle Gary as Doc of course. They can do live action skits for the video/call outs with the BTTF theme on loop in the background.

I can't wait til this gets released.

So what is the next Stern theme after this gets made??

#71 3 years ago

Wait. Is BTTF confirmed from stern?

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

I love me some Lea Thompson. Then and still.

That had so much Mitch Hedberg potential: "I used to love Lea Thompson. I still do, but I used to, too."

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Why pay for the whole cast!? They should have Stern employees dress up as the characters. Uncle Gary as Doc of course. They can do live action skits for the video/call outs with the BTTF theme on loop in the background.
    I can't wait til this gets released.
    So what is the next Stern theme after this gets made??

All signs point to Jaws. Which really sucks cause can you imagine if JJP were making it?!

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

It's not not confirmed!

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Well it's been confirmed that an anniversary is coming of BTTF so that is pretty much confirmed according to Pinside.
    And and the best part is anniversaries happen every year, so we can just keep this going next year.

#76 3 years ago

Wouldn't it be amazing if pinball could come up with a theme 35 years out of the future instead of 35 years out of the past?

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wouldn't it be amazing if pinball could come up with a theme 35 years out of the future instead of 35 years out of the past?

Dialed in!

Now do you part and go buy it.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dialed in!

Now do you part and go buy it.

Sim City and Bob the Builder are so 90s.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All signs point to Jaws. Which really sucks cause can you imagine if JJP were making it?!

Wasn't Jaws used as the code name for JP2? I'd be surprised that they used that name if there was a later upcoming game -

It would be great if they could use some samples from the movie and maybe also get Tom F. Wilson. He is HILARIOUS and deserves to be included. He even missed the Zoom reunion recently!

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wasn't Jaws used as the code name for JP2? I'd be surprised that they used that name if there was a later upcoming game -
    It would be great if they could use some samples from the movie and maybe also get Tom F. Wilson. He is HILARIOUS and deserves to be included. He even missed the Zoom reunion recently!

Biff really tied those movies together.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

As far as I understand it, 35mm film equates to apx 2k digital image detail. So a Blu Ray is essentially a master copy of the original film. Anything higher than this, like 4k, is just an artificial pre-upscaling of the image. If so, it seems reasonable that eventually consumer grade equipment would be able to apply that same upscaling to a Blu Ray image.

Actually, I'm pretty sure 35mm is equivalent to slightly higher than 4k resolution...and if you start talking IMAX footage, it's way higher than that. That said, the true benefit of 4K isn't the extra resolution...it's the color depth and HDR. The resolution bump can sometimes be noticeable, but as mentioned above, it's definitely at the point of diminishing returns. The color depth and contrast improvement from HDR though...that's huge on a well adjusted display. I was a doubter up until I finally made the upgrade a few months ago. Yeah...blu is awesome...but 4k is definitely on another level. As with every format though...a lot depends on how well it was mastered and transferred. A great Blu will still look better than a crappy 4k. But all things equal, 4k blows it away, and I never expected to say that.

And that's only half the story. Dolby Atmos / DTS:X are the other half, and are another huge leap forward, but on the audio side. Yes, you can get those on standard Blu, but its much more prevalent on 4k.

Good Blu is a perfect picture. Good 4K is a window you could reach into.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Actually, I'm pretty sure 35mm is equivalent to slightly higher than 4k resolution...and if you start talking IMAX footage, it's way higher than that. That said, the true benefit of 4K isn't the extra resolution...it's the color depth and HDR. The resolution bump can sometimes be noticeable, but as mentioned above, it's definitely at the point of diminishing returns. The color depth and contrast improvement from HDR though...that's huge on a well adjusted display. I was a doubter up until I finally made the upgrade a few months ago. Yeah...blu is awesome...but 4k is definitely on another level. As with every format though...a lot depends on how well it was mastered and transferred. A great Blu will still look better than a crappy 4k. But all things equal, 4k blows it away, and I never expected to say that.
    And that's only half the story. Dolby Atmos / DTS:X are the other half, and are another huge leap forward, but on the audio side. Yes, you can get those on standard Blu, but its much more prevalent on 4k.
    Good Blu is a perfect picture. Good 4K is a window you could reach into.

35mm isn't really able to be directly compared to 4K or 1080P, 8K, etc in terms of "resolution". 4K, et al are based on pixels - 35mm is based on a subjective idea of "clarity" - But the industry comparison as far as "how small can a bit of text get and still stay in focus" lines up 35mm and 4K fairly well. Vistavision / IMAX are another level, being 70mm, there is -theoretically- the ability to get much more detail. IMAX is typically more of a frame rate thing though - 48fps for example.

I'm not aware of any regular 1080p Blurays that also feature Atmos/DTS:X soundtracks - are there any? Atmos is pretty awesome as a show-off type feature (think like audio 3D).

anyway, if you have a HUUUUUGE tv (like 75" and up), 4K looks awesome, and visibly better than a regular 1080P bluray, but otherwise you're not going to be able to take advantage of the upgrade.

#83 3 years ago

From what I understand Steve Ritchie is up next. If it's bttf instead of Led Zeppelin I'm going to be very disappointed, but on the other hand I'll save a pile money.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not everybody loves that movie.

The Big Lewbowski

I really like that film but it can become something u could hate very quickly with all the love it gets from hipster dufus's. Mimicking the lines and the music, I know a few guys that won't ever watch it as a result or r former fans. I can never hate it mostly due to Walter Sopjek.

McFry

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
    #86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

35mm isn't really able to be directly compared to 4K or 1080P, 8K, etc in terms of "resolution". 4K, et al are based on pixels - 35mm is based on a subjective idea of "clarity" - But the industry comparison as far as "how small can a bit of text get and still stay in focus" lines up 35mm and 4K fairly well. Vistavision / IMAX are another level, being 70mm, there is -theoretically- the ability to get much more detail. IMAX is typically more of a frame rate thing though - 48fps for example.
    I'm not aware of any regular 1080p Blurays that also feature Atmos/DTS:X soundtracks - are there any? Atmos is pretty awesome as a show-off type feature (think like audio 3D).
    anyway, if you have a HUUUUUGE tv (like 75" and up), 4K looks awesome, and visibly better than a regular 1080P bluray, but otherwise you're not going to be able to take advantage of the upgrade.

Mostly agree. On my 65", you can definitely see the resolution difference, but it isn't huge. If you A-B back and forth, the difference is apparent (again, with a good source), but I'm not sure if I could pick out one or the other on resolution alone. The contrast and color depth from HDR though...that CAN be very dramatic on any size display. That was my biggest surprise making the upgrade.

Yes, there are a few standard Blu-rays with Atmos, but not many. The TMNT reboots, Bumblebee, and most of the DC Universe movies are a few examples. I think the newest Jurassic World movie has a DTS:X track. Definitely not many compared to 4k discs though.

After being a huge DVD and Blu-ray home theater enthusiast, I resisted 4k for a very long time thinking there was no way the upgrade would be worth it. I was wrong. On average it definitely isn't as huge as the leap from VHS to DVD or the jump from DVD to Blu, but it is definitely a very fun upgrade.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

The TMNT reboots, Bumblebee, and most of the DC Universe movies are a few examples. I think the newest Jurassic World movie has a DTS:X track.

If that's what you're forced to watch I'll go back to VHS
    Well SVHS anyway

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Mostly agree. On my 65", you can definitely see the resolution difference, but it isn't huge. If you A-B back and forth, the difference is apparent (again, with a good source), but I'm not sure if I could pick out one or the other on resolution alone. The contrast and color depth from HDR though...that CAN be very dramatic on any size display. That was my biggest surprise making the upgrade.
    Yes, there are a few standard Blu-rays with Atmos, but not many. The TMNT reboots, Bumblebee, and most of the DC Universe movies are a few examples. I think the newest Jurassic World movie has a DTS:X track. Definitely not many compared to 4k discs though.
    After being a huge DVD and Blu-ray home theater enthusiast, I resisted 4k for a very long time thinking there was no way the upgrade would be worth it. I was wrong. On average it definitely isn't as huge as the leap from VHS to DVD or the jump from DVD to Blu, but it is definitely a very fun upgrade.

Yes! Right on.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All great points. I had not considered the benefits from color fidelity. It's difficult to find concrete studies on just how much juice can be squeezed from 35mm when scanning to digital, but if I was mistaken about thinking it was roughly 2k digital, this makes more sense. FWIW, I wasn't referring to how last years summer blockbusters or IMAX releases look and sound, so much as the old films from decades past converting to 4k or higher. So I guess the next question is, if 35mm equates to roughly 4k, how are these flicks going to look on 8k... 16k... 32k displays? Will us old timers ultimately have a separate television for viewing old movies while the kids play pixar in a holodeck?

#90 3 years ago

I just replaced my Panasonic VT60 Plasma with a Sony A9G OLED and am glad I finally did. What a difference!

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

I just replaced my Panasonic VT60 Plasma with a Sony A9G OLED and am glad I finally did. What a difference!

Interesting....thanks.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Interesting....thanks.

Oh you won’t regret buying one! I think OLED 4K is near its peak performance since 8K is out now. I got tired of waiting for a pin to buy so I bought the TV instead. Now I just need a PS5 to go with the OLED.

#93 3 years ago

I have a 77" 2016 OLED and can't decide if to go with a newer model OLED, or try this 85" 8k Samsung QLED. The problem is the Samsung is 10,000 USD, while the OLED is 4,500
    Anyone have any experience with QLED

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I have a 77" 2016 OLED and can't decide if to go with a newer model OLED, or try this 85" 8k Samsung QLED. The problem is the Samsung is 10,000 USD, while the OLED is 4,500

Short answer OLED > QLED

Longer answer: Go into store and view them side by side displaying the same feed and you will notice the difference, should also be obvious that the OLED out performs the QLED.

Long answer: it’s to late here to type it so just trust me, go into store see for yourself.

#95 3 years ago

You guys are all nuts I’m still rocking my Panasonic plasma and it looks great!

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

QLED is the same technology as regular LED. The light is distributed differently, but it’s still the same stuff. OLED is entirely different - totally new way of getting pixels to light up individually, instead of lighting them from the side. OLED is overwhelmingly better, brighter, darker (in the sense that a black pixel is BLACK, LED screens always have some bleed so it looks more Greyish)

The subtle black levels are the thing that make an image look almost “3D” on your screen - it looks like it has depth, vs an obviously flat picture on your screen.

#97 3 years ago

I do not have experience with OLED, but I will say that the new Samsung QLEDs (Q70 and up at least) are surprisingly good at black levels. I upgraded from an older LED which was higher end at the time, and the difference was night and day. The multizone localized dimming really makes a big difference.

As for the 8k...why? What will you watch on it? I do not think there is any source material available, or if there is, there sure isn't much.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

Whatever assets it does or doesn't have, if Keith Elwin designs it, I'm in for an LE.

BTTF is also a Universal Studios license. Same as JP.

Just sayin’.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I do not have experience with OLED, but I will say that the new Samsung QLEDs (Q70 and up at least) are surprisingly good at black levels. I upgraded from an older LED which was higher end at the time, and the difference was night and day. The multizone localized dimming really makes a big difference.
    As for the 8k...why? What will you watch on it? I do not think there is any source material available, or if there is, there sure isn't much.

8K is streaming only - there will be nice 8k Blurays, so I would expect Netflix to pick this up eventually. Hopefully they roll out some new players which can handle h265 profile so it’s not killing the entire internet

10 months later
    #100 2 years ago

So is BTTF being released by Stern or not? I heard Godzilla is up next.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-to-the-future-4k/page/2?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.