You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed (14) (resized).jpg
unnamed (12) (resized).jpg
1929BADC-57C2-4B7B-9422-7BA009D28357 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Pulled this out of a basement at the last minute of the last day of an Estate sale...first time on legs in decades!

Flight 2000...Ready for countdown!

1929BADC-57C2-4B7B-9422-7BA009D28357 (resized).jpeg1929BADC-57C2-4B7B-9422-7BA009D28357 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Nice score, Randy! I'll have to check it out!

#3 3 years ago

Nice score! Congrats!

#4 3 years ago

T-20(pins) and counting...

unnamed (12) (resized).jpgunnamed (12) (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

And...failure to launch
Mpu only flashed twice

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Randy_G:

And...failure to launch
Mpu only flashed twice

Probably due to typical battery corrosion around the 5101 RAM chip at U8 on the MPU board.

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

different mpu and a few adjustments, you are correct Quench the battery's were bad and cut them off.(but would that prevent booting up?)

Now we have lift off!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Randy_G:

(but would that prevent booting up?)

Battery corrosion hits the socket at U8 due to proximity causing connectivity issues with the RAM chip at U8. On power-up a failure with U8 RAM test will cause the LED indicator to stop flashing after two flashes.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_.2F_Stern_MPU_Board_LED_Flash_Sequence

#9 3 years ago

I really should start checking the pinwiki.com site more...there's a ton of info there!
Here's a picture of my Stern mpu-200 board...the batteries were totally green and I tossed them away.
So a lack of a 3rd flash means an issue with U8(or even perhaps the socket or traces).
The bottom edge of the board looks kind of good.

unnamed (14) (resized).jpgunnamed (14) (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

bottom of that board looks amazing.

Indeed, I don't see any corrosion... That's a real nice looking board.

Pop out U8 (note the semicrcle notch on the left side of the chip). Make sure when you reinstall it later the notch is on the same side (left).
Carefully inspect the pins for any green/black tarnish.
Carefully inspect the socket with a magnifying glasss again looking for any green/dark tarnish in the sockets receptor pins.

If it all looks nice and shiny, then do the same with the RAM chip at U13 as it's also part of the same RAM test as U8 on power-up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
$ 199.95
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-on-the-launch-pad?hl=randy_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.