Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ct4 (resized).jpg
    425b69c18b59586293e5d5b2766e5e4d3146ddd3 (resized).jpg
    7C3B50B4-808E-494D-B226-D482CB21E5A3 (resized).jpeg
    release odin (resized).PNG
    9777616F-3C2B-40EF-90E8-BD24F1ACF753.gif
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from ticktockman:

In TMNT choose Donatello as your turtle and hit that right ramp to get Turtle Power multiball on your first shot!

That one is ridiculous, I understand making it easier for newbies but that MB is easy as pie to begin with, only four shots to the right ramp with any other turtle.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Thanks @ Isonchronic_Frost, you got it!

Fond memories of that classic FG 6 ball multiball!

#53 2 years ago

Granted the regular game lighting the locks isn’t a given for a beginner. Super game starts as 2 ball multiball and knocking down JUDGE targets in any order (as opposed to in order for regular game) starts 6 ball multiball.

7C3B50B4-808E-494D-B226-D482CB21E5A3 (resized).jpeg7C3B50B4-808E-494D-B226-D482CB21E5A3 (resized).jpeg
    #54 2 years ago
    Quoted from ticktockman:

In TMNT choose Donatello as your turtle and hit that right ramp to get Turtle Power multiball on your first shot!

In GOTG, you can choose Quills Quest and it requires exactly one less shot than Donatello for a MB

#55 2 years ago

I played GnR for the first time last Saturday and got SIX multiballs, only started two modes. No idea what I did. Played the one game and I did not feel compelled to his the start button again.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Now a days you whipper snappers get multiball for doing almost NOTHING.
    I played Mandolorian for the first time today, and about 27 seconds in I got rewarded with a multiball. And I wasnt even excited about it. It was more like, "so the f#$% what?"
    Some rules, like outrageously easy multiball, kinda piss me off. It is like that quote from Dr Ian Malcolm in Jurrasic Park, how you didn't do anything to attain it.

Sounds like JPP, GnR, fuck my fingers got tired after multiballs. first ball ! IdK

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I played GnR for the first time last Saturday and got SIX multiballs, only started two modes. No idea what I did. Played the one game and I did not feel compelled to his the start button again.

Funny...didn't even see until I posted

#58 2 years ago

Apollo 13 is on my short list of games to own someday .I’ve never seen one out anywhere ,how much work is it to get to that chaos ?

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

Granted the regular game lighting the locks isn’t a given for a beginner. Super game starts as 2 ball multiball and knocking down JUDGE targets in any order (as opposed to in order for regular game) starts 6 ball multiball.
    [quoted image]

Even the regular game can give you an instant multiball, if you take advantage of the extra ball button. It will instantly start up the 4-ball Judge multiball.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Apollo 13 is on my short list of games to own someday .I’ve never seen one out anywhere ,how much work is it to get to that chaos ?

About medium difficulty. Takes some accurate shooting, but it isn't rare.

#61 2 years ago

Yes, modern pinball rules are a bit lazy and confusing, which is why I re-code almost all the games I play.

I completely agree with the OP, you have to earn all the wonderful special things a pinball game can reward you with. Then you'll feel wonderful and special yourself.

Terminator 2 is still the best multiball for me, that had purpose beyond just hitting the flashing shots to collect a Jackpot. A simple game, with simple rules but you feel good playing it. The reason I keep returning to it, year after year, decade after decade.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Now a days you whipper snappers get multiball for doing almost NOTHING.
    I played Mandolorian for the first time today, and about 27 seconds in I got rewarded with a multiball. And I wasnt even excited about it. It was more like, "so the f#$% what?"
    Some rules, like outrageously easy multiball, kinda piss me off. It is like that quote from Dr Ian Malcolm in Jurrasic Park, how you didn't do anything to attain it.

Play more Elwin games.

#63 2 years ago

Gottlieb Punk, if you drain prior to multiball any locked balls also drain. You then start over...

#64 2 years ago

Agree, they were more rare in old machines and more difficult to obtain
    With all my newer machines you get multi-ball every game

I think I like the machines where multi-ball is an event and an accomplishment when you obtain it
    and on a side note, I prefer physical ball locks

#65 2 years ago

JJP Potc is a goal to get 5 MB going at once????? It’s too much, every shot is a jackpot etc. I think it’s impressive how the game can score shots correct relating to what they are lit for. But playing that many multiballs stacked together is not really great to me.

GnR is dead to me, I don’t like it basically it can be nonstop MB with add a ball and more free save time sprinkled in just in case.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Surprised somebody hasn't made a game which actually serves two balls to the shooter every time, or after you shoot it shoots a second ball out automatically from a subway kicker or something. Just give the player multiball at the start and see what he can do with it. First ball drains and then it just reverts to one ball scoring.

GOTG Quinn mode

#67 2 years ago

Gotta figure games with multiball are the hardest on the balls too, smackin' into each other all day, getting chipped, especially high-flipper-power modern games. A machine with only one ball in it? Hell the ball must think it has it cushy just bouncing off rubber rings and plastic targets and maybe getting thrown by a steel saucer kicker arm once in a while.

#68 2 years ago

I think for me the hardest multiball to achieve is Elektra.

I just had a f14. Love building up to a multiball and get rewarded with a fantastic lightshow and siren and a brief moment of achievement before releasing 4 balls of hell. Good luck on getting a second multiball in the same game.

BSD also stands out as a fun mb to achieve. Have to complete those standup targets then hit the ramp to lock a ball for the witch mb 3x or the coffin mb which takes 6 or 7 shots to the coffin ramp.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Play more Elwin games.

Maiden & JP are my 2 favorite in the last 10 years and I think they do the best job of whats out there of combining whatever I love about 80s/90s stuff into a newer game but even in those the multiball creep is real.

Yesterday I was playing Maiden just focusing on flipper skills and practicing side ramps. All other shots being ignored other than mandatory shots to start/advance battle modes. Before plunging ball 3 I took stock of the playfield and was one shot away from Mummy, Trooper and Aces High and 1 pyramid(orbits I think?) away from Cyborg. Basically 4 multiballs lit almost entirely off of incidentals/mandatory shots for modes. Lighting them, only one actually requires the shots I was going for and its only a small part.

Admittedly some of that can be attributed to me being terrible. Under the self-imposed rules I was playing if I were more accurate I'd only would have gotten one of them.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

When I was a kid we didn't have multi ball!

Yes sir, "multi ball" for me was earning an "extra" ball", I'm 59.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Play more Elwin games.

That’s right !!!

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Gottlieb Punk, if you drain prior to multiball any locked balls also drain. You then start over...

So the game punks you?

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

And back in those days, a jackpot shot was actually meaningful! You were lucky to get it. I never liked the watered down “every ramp is a jackpot” reward.

That's because the super jackpot is the real jackpot.

#74 2 years ago

Now we have games like Heist, where you can get a 10 ball multiball. Seems like it is a competition between manufacturers to see who can get the most balls in play simultaneously.

#75 2 years ago

I love it when my friends finally earn multiball in Embryon and say “now what do I do?”. You…keep playing the same game, but you get TWO balls.

#76 2 years ago

While some of the easier to start multiballs are good for entertaining new players, they also often help serve other purposes aside from hitting jackpots, like allowing you to go after higher risk shots that progress toward other important goals.

#77 2 years ago

I got sucked into pinball by Cyclone back in high school. Still trying to get multiball...Oh that's right, it doesn't have multiball and it was great. Most system 11 games were MB based but took some work to get them. Not the hardest games to get MB but rewarding.

I hated that every DE game gave you MB on ball 3.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

That's because the super jackpot is the real jackpot.

'Jackpot' is sort of like what 'Wow' or 'Special' or 'award bonus' was in the older days. 'Jackpot' is getting long in the tooth. Maybe they need to come up with a fresh term that still implies winning an accumulated amount of points but I can't think of a good one. 'Jackpot' generally means the ultimate 'biggie' award like on a slot machine, so when there's a half dozen different ones to win in a game, the term loses it's meaning and they gotta keep sticking super or mega in front of it.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Now we have games like Heist, where you can get a 10 ball multiball. Seems like it is a competition between manufacturers to see who can get the most balls in play simultaneously.

The ultimate champ at that is Apollo 13. Unmatched to this day. Undefeated Multiball king nearly 30 years.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Maybe they need to come up with a fresh term that still implies winning an accumulated amount of points but I can't think of a good one. 'Jackpot' generally means the ultimate 'biggie' award like on a slot machine, so when there's a half dozen different ones to win in a game, the term loses it's meaning and they gotta keep sticking super or mega in front of it.

Jersey Jack Pot?

#81 2 years ago

Gilligan's Island has a multi ball you cant even achieve!
    It is a Lagoon bonus IF you are lucky

#82 2 years ago

JJP GNR is the worst - can't stand the constant multiball

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Black Hole is a mean SOB that way.

You get multiball in BH you feel rewarded.

#84 2 years ago

<<Gottlieb Punk, if you drain prior to multiball any locked balls also drain. You then start over...>>

>>Black Hole is a mean SOB that way. >>

It isn't quite that bad, it only drains the upper saucer lock and on the next ball it will still be lit and is a very easy shot.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

<<Gottlieb Punk, if you drain prior to multiball any locked balls also drain. You then start over...>>
    >>Black Hole is a mean SOB that way. >>
    It isn't quite that bad, it only drains the upper saucer lock and on the next ball it will still be lit and is a very easy shot.

Still a poke in the eyeball.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

When I was a kid we didn't have multi ball!

Of course we did, with the manual ball lift 5-ball games!

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

That's only true on their dot matrix tables. Their alphanumeric tables were quite challenging to start up the multiball mode.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Just an FYI some titles have a tournament
    mode option that stops the third ball multi ball. Not many people know this. WWFRR is one of them and is a much better game with no auto multi ball.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

That's only true on their dot matrix tables. Their alphanumeric tables were quite challenging to start up the multiball mode.

Yup.

Laser War you have to qualify and getting 3 ball multi is VERY challenging as you have a limited amount of time to relock balls. Basically you have to get three lighted target hits to enable lock for those particular targets. Once you lock the ball and launch the next you have a short period of time to lock the just launched ball before the game releases the ball locked on the prior round.

Three ball multi is the only time the ion cannon jackpot shot is available, very rewarding if you make that.

People rag on Laser War but its a well thought out and challenging game.

Time Machine not too different, you have to qualify and lock three balls and get to forth time era before multiball starts.

ChadH has made changes to a number of DE DMD games which take out the auto multiball on ball three, need to earn it now.

#90 2 years ago

The original multiball game Firepower is still the best. Even with 5 balls its challenging. I maybe did it 3 times on 3 ball. Thats how it should be.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

The original multiball game Firepower is still the best. Even with 5 balls its challenging. I maybe did it 3 times on 3 ball. Thats how it should be.

Problem with Fireball is as I understand it you don't get anything for multiball.. but multiball.

No double playfield score or qualification for jackpot correct?

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Problem with Fireball is as I understand it you don't get anything for multiball.. but multiball.
    No double playfield score or qualification for jackpot correct?

Calls for a ROM fix if there isn't one already.

#93 2 years ago

Taxi's multiball is so well designed, because it's the only multiball that I can think of where you get 2 balls on the playfield & haven't "technically" started mutiball yet.

That requires you to re-lock both balls in the saucers within a short amount of time (music increasing in intensity as you fail away), get your little lightshow & song-and-dance for accomplishing that, then both balls are ejected for you to HAMMER the ramps for 300K point jackpots. Hard work for big rewards. That's a well coded game.

Easy & constant mutiballs are the absolute worst thing about modern coding on some titles. If it's too easy it's to achieve, it's not appealing at all to me.

#94 2 years ago

Played jjp gnr over the weekend, ball one start song sweet child of mine,very cool then a multi ball starts oh yeah! Then liberal ball saves and I think maybe another muitiball with more ball saves turns into like a 10 minute mb fiesta, crazy just flipping away, my hands hurt and finally it ends and I am tired and want to play a different machine.

shouldn't some special multiball level be left in reserve for an actual wizard mode ?

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjj:

Played jjp gnr over the weekend, ball one start song sweet child of mine,very cool then a multi ball starts oh yeah! Then liberal ball saves and I think maybe another muitiball with more ball saves turns into like a 10 minute mb fiesta, crazy just flipping away, my hands hurt and finally it ends and I am tired and want to play a different machine.
    shouldn't some special multiball level be left in reserve for an actual wizard mode ?

Oh yea GnR will throw in additional MB for no apparent reason like ‘throw the lights’ (or something similar, 3 random MBs). I mean you can be flailing and just hit xyz by accident and it’ll grant you a MB.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

I'm aware of this. Just a lazy generalization. Actually DE Simpson's has a great MB set up. Get the 2 ball then lock both to get 3 ball. Then try to get the Jackpot. Very tough to do.

Quoted from Mattyk:

Just an FYI some titles have a tournament
    mode option that stops the third ball multi ball. Not many people know this. WWFRR is one of them and is a much better game with no auto multi ball.

As a operator, I want everyone to get multiball. Makes the occasional players and kids get a feeling of accomplishment. As a player I want to earn it.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I played Mandolorian for the first time today, and about 27 seconds in I got rewarded with a multiball.

You can do it faster. Just complete the super skill shot (last shot in Razorcrest), 3 shots in total.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

But can you memorize how to get the 22X multiplier while running 3 modes in that multiball?

Amen.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Oh yea GnR will throw in additional MB for no apparent reason like ‘throw the lights’ (or something similar, 3 random MBs). I mean you can be flailing and just hit xyz by accident and it’ll grant you a MB.

I'm going to blurt out a really hot take here, but... are we sure Eric is that great of a designer? Both of his games are drowning in multiballs. I do love the ship in pirates and the hidden shot under the flipper, but does he not have some sort of say? Like, cant he talk to the software designer and say "chill out with the damn multiballs already?"

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Black Hole is a mean SOB that way.
    You get multiball in BH you feel rewarded.

I think Black Hole has the hardest to achieve multiball in pinball.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I think Black Hole has the hardest to achieve multiball in pinball.

I've never played Black Hole yet. Is the multi-ball more difficult than Flight 2000?

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-in-my-day-you-had-to-work-for-a-multiball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.