(Topic ID: 43883)

Back home from TPF

By 85vett

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Just got back home after a long weekend at TPF. I wanted to officially thank everyone that put this on. It was an absolute blast. I made some new friends and got to play pinball till my hands went numb. This year I took my wife and daughter (she just tuned 3). My daughter loved it and wanted to play everything. This was my wife's first festival and before this she thought I was a major dork for going to them. I think she's changed her mind as she really had a lot of fun.

Hotel was great. Absolutely beautiful location and great rates for a hotel of this caliber. Wish food was a bit more affordable but heck, can't get everything.

Game line up was outstanding. So many tables there that I rarely had to wait more than 10 mins to play what I wanted. This includes TRON LE, AC/DC, Avengers, IM, etc... Just outstanding.

Some things could have gone better but as long as we learn from it then that is a good thing (another open thread for that).

Best part of it all is after my wife played AC/DC she gave me the thumbs up to buy one. With the expectation of her getting an Avengers out of it. God I love her

Only 362 days until next years Festival. Can't wait! Again, thank you to all the volunteers and coordinators that made it all happen.

#2 11 years ago

Great show! Wish they had two per year!

#3 11 years ago

My wife and I flew in from Wisconsin to go to TPF because we heard it was a huge show and wanted to get in on the Multimorphic give-away shot (failed that, oh well!). The only other show I've gone to is the Chicago Expo prior to this. Compared to that, I thought TPF was fantastic from a player point of view. So many games to play. We'd just wander around until we found something open or someone near the end of a game. Never waited much for anything other than the one time we played WOZ (which I thought was really disappointing, but only because of the current state of the software). We had a rented car, so we went off property for food several times to avoid the hotel prices. I thought the venue was amazing. The hotel was really nice, the room was not TOO expensive, and the hall the show itself was in was just enormous.

A huge thanks to everyone who brought games out - but especially to Elevation Games. They had a massive collection of games in amazing shape. We spent a lot of time in their booth!

Can't really speak to the tournament or it's issues as we didn't enter. We like playing, but we're not generally tournament caliber players.

#4 11 years ago

Ditto on it being a great show! I drove up from Austin with my wife and three kids (ages 5-8), and we all had a blast. The venue almost felt too big. hehehehe Room to grow, right?

It was a safe, clean environment for a family. As mentioned, you rarely had to wait at all or for very long for any game (except for WOZ -- only one in the exhibition area).

The larger room meant that the roar of pinball machine sounds was in that perfect sweet spot (as a lover of pinball machines and playing pinball) of a constant din of bells, clangs, call-outs, but not so loud (as previous location) that my ears were ringing when I left the exhibition hall.

The selection of pins was astounding, and it was rare to see a pin that had to be completely powered off due to a maintenance problem. Some of the modded tricked out pins were incredible!

I highly recommend the show to anyone, and specifically to those pinheads who now have young families to care for (and entertain), you won't be disappointed.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

A huge thanks to everyone who brought games out - but especially to Elevation Games. They had a massive collection of games in amazing shape. We spent a lot of time in their booth!

Thank you for the compliment! I had a great time shooting the bull with you and Randy.

#6 11 years ago

Yeah, Elevation Games for me was the hot spot. So many great games! My forearms are still killing me. LOL!

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from mccoy2797:

Yeah, Elevation Games for me was the hot spot. So many great games! My forearms are still killing me. LOL!

Marc does a great job, though somehow I'm still owed a sandwich.

I have mixed feelings about the hotel, beautiful for sure, great space, huge, massive amount of quality games. It just seemed as a vendor the hotel didn't want anything to do with any of it. Very difficult to move equipment in and out, water coolers available throughout the show were removed immediately after, right when all the vendors, game bringers and volunteers needed it. Along with the trash cans! How do you remove trash cans when everyone is packing and trying to throw out whatever they can?

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Marc does a great job, though somehow I'm still owed a sandwich.

Yea, I dropped the ball there for sure.

#9 11 years ago

Marc, if you are taking orders, I would like a sandwich also. ( better make that 2)

#10 11 years ago

Yeah... Marc just called me old (but the good news is he called my wife too young for me!) Ha! I'm good w/ that for sure!!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Yea, I dropped the ball there for sure.

No, not at all man, the beer was good. I'm just poking you with a stick.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#12 11 years ago

Oh yeah, the coolers being pulled when loading out SUCCCCCKKKED. God.

#13 11 years ago

Those of you that brought trailers to load/undload. Did you park where the swap meet was, or was there an area reserved for you elsewhere?

#14 11 years ago

They had a nice large loading area / parking lot that allowed many people to park and load at one time. This was one advantage over the old hotel that only had room for two or three trucks at one time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-home-from-tpf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.