Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Peruman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1818FBD7-6688-4FE5-847A-5605C727B82A (resized).jpeg
    D567CD82-013F-49BF-A5C0-599F9353A797 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0549 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0546 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0545 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

What would the best path to follow in sealing this 1960 back glass?

IMG_0545 (resized).jpgIMG_0545 (resized).jpgIMG_0546 (resized).jpgIMG_0546 (resized).jpgIMG_0549 (resized).jpgIMG_0549 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Minwax Polycrylic protective finish clear gloss.

John

#3 3 years ago

First you need to stabilize those areas that are already starting to flake. I have used the liquid control Crazy Glue and Saran Wrap method with success. After that I would do a light coat of Triple Thick and then one or two heavier coats of Triple Thick.

Alberto

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

First you need to stabilize those areas that are already starting to flake. I have used the liquid control Crazy Glue and Saran Wrap method with success. After that I would do a light coat of Triple Thick and then one or two heavier coats of Triple Thick.
    Alberto

This. At the very least, if you don't address the lifting art, you'll want to start with very thin coats. If you just start with laying it on thick the peeling art will bend and make things worse.

#5 3 years ago

I'd just cut out some squares of mylar and slap it on.

People really overthink backglass preservation in my opinion.

Mylar is cheap, easy to work with, you don't need to wear a mask and do it outside, and there's really no downside, unless you are worried that it will dry, brittle, and fall off long after you are dead (and this is nothing that concerns me).

#6 3 years ago

Anybody else old enough to remember Silverball Amusements "Cover Your Glass"? I think I bought it from Pinball Resource (or back then maybe they were called Silverball Amusements). I still have a half a can of it in my garage, used it on a few glasses back in the 80s or 90s. Still sloshing around in there so probably still useable, but it had toluene in it and you had to ventilate the place well when you used it and took forever to fully cure. I still have one glass I did and it held up other than a little fine crazing over a couple of the score displays. Triple Thick is the way to go now.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Anybody else old enough to remember Silverball Amusements "Cover Your Glass"? I think I bought it from Pinball Resource (or back then maybe they were called Silverball Amusements). I still have a half a can of it in my garage, used it on a few glasses back in the 80s or 90s. Still sloshing around in there so probably still useable, but it had toluene in it and you had to ventilate the place well when you used it and took forever to fully cure. I still have one glass I did and it held up other than a little fine crazing over a couple of the score displays. Triple Thick is the way to go now.

This stuff was awful. I believe it was actually a product intended to glaze rocks with?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This stuff was awful. I believe it was actually a product intended to glaze rocks with?

And you were supposed to SQUIRT it on with an oil can as per the instructions, no spraying thin coats. I just poured it outta the can. So the glass had to be perfectly level or the stuff would start oozing and shifting on ya because it took so damn long to dry. Maybe it coulda been sprayed if you had the equipment and/or it was thinned but I don't know, pretty thick goopy stuff.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

Alberto

Can you explain that method?

#10 3 years ago

I learned the technique from a post by ForceFlow from a couple years back. You want to use the Loctite Liquid Control super glue and Saran Wrap. Have some toothpicks handy for flake manipulation. And have your Saran Wrap pieces pre-cut and ready to go.

One small area at a time, drip the super glue onto the flaking area, try not to touch the flakes with the super glue tip. Then cover with the Saran Wrap, make sure you lay it down nice and flat with as few wrinkles as possible. Then gently smooth out the flakes and cracks through the Saran Wrap. Once done, let it dry 24 hours, then gently peel the Saran Wrap. The paint flakes will be glued down.

Start on a small area so you get used to the amount of glue needed. I would also do a search for Forceflow’s post

Hope this helps

Alberto

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

Then gently smooth out the flakes and cracks through the Saran Wrap. Once done, let it dry 24 hours, then gently peel the Saran Wrap.

Wouldn't the paint be pulled off when pulling the Saran Wrap off?

#12 3 years ago

I thought the same thing, but the super glue does not bond to the Saran Wrap. You do need to wait the 24 hours.

I’ve done three backglasses already with this technique and I’ve had a tiny flake come off once. The backglasses I have done are a Domino, a Gorgar, and the Big Deal I’m working on

Let me find photos of the Gorgar.

To convince myself, when I did the Domino (first one) I started in a tiny area off in a corner

Alberto

#13 3 years ago

These are the before and after photos for Gorgar. Worst areas were under the demon’s armpits. The flakes were super curled and we were able to flatten one side really well, the other one was too far gone but it looks better. After this, the BG was triple thicked.

Alberto

1818FBD7-6688-4FE5-847A-5605C727B82A (resized).jpeg1818FBD7-6688-4FE5-847A-5605C727B82A (resized).jpegD567CD82-013F-49BF-A5C0-599F9353A797 (resized).jpegD567CD82-013F-49BF-A5C0-599F9353A797 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
    #14 2 years ago

There are several "Triple Thick" products found online, DecoArt, Rust-O-Leum, and Krylon. Which is preferred?

3 months later
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd just cut out some squares of mylar and slap it on.

Is this a self adhesive Mylar product or are you using super glue?

If you adhere Mylar to paint that is falling off, what keeps the paint with the Mylar from sticking any better than the paint by itself? Painting wallpaper that is coming off the wall doesn’t fix the paper to the wall…

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

There are several "Triple Thick" products found online, DecoArt, Rust-O-Leum, and Krylon. Which is preferred?

Playdium

I like the Krylon triple thick

Alberto

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-glass-sealing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.