Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C6621AF8-B210-41BF-91B9-323A81432F53.jpeg
74BF4FD4-FB7E-4C44-8C2F-87E874E33E34.jpeg
20230308_173422.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I have a Bally Party Animal. I would like to change out the back box light bulb that doesn't generate as much heat. Is there a great LED option that works best? I thought about putting in a circular type bulb. Has anyone used a circular bulb that works well?

#2 1 year ago

Comet Frosted warm white is as close to the original as you can get.
44s are round, 555s are wedge

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Comet Frosted warm white is as close to the original as you can get.
44s are round, 555s are wedge

Party Animal doesn't have a backbox insert. It uses a single light bulb.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from budman79:I have a Bally Party Animal. I would like to change out the back box light bulb that doesn't generate as much heat. Is there a great LED option that works best? I thought about putting in a circular type bulb. Has anyone used a circular bulb that works well?

You can put a led in there but it's gonna be crazy bright.
The circular bulbs work good for evening out the light but you will still have heat.

If you are worried about heat make sure you have an issue first. Use a thermometer and tape it to the inside top of back box, if the temp is over say 160F then maybe do something.

I have not seen any of my machines go over that even at 75F room temp and played straight for 5 hrs.
Hope that helps.
-Mike

20230308_173422.jpg20230308_173422.jpg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Party Animal doesn't have a backbox insert.

Ahhh...sorry for the confusion.
Thanks!

#6 1 year ago

Hey if a bulb is good enough for an easy bake oven ... why not a pinball machine.

Had this in my Lost World ... they get damn hot!

#7 1 year ago

Stick a cheap smart bulb in there that you can change the color (i.e. cool to sunlight) and brightness. The ones I use remember their setting when turned off/back on. Then just dial it in to your preference.

#8 1 year ago

I put two 25 watt equivalent LED light bulbs in my original Pac-Man marquee where those used light bulbs instead of a fluorescent lamp. It turned out great! just be careful not to get the LED’s that look bluish white, get the warm looking ones. They are not that bright, looks very much like the original lamps in my video game.

#9 1 year ago

Here’s a picture, the Ms. Pac-Man still has the fluorescent, but this Pac-Man looks very much the same as when I had the 60watt regular light bulbs in there that got hot, I believe they were these I used, they have a nice warm glow and not too bright, only 5 actual watts.

74BF4FD4-FB7E-4C44-8C2F-87E874E33E34.jpeg74BF4FD4-FB7E-4C44-8C2F-87E874E33E34.jpegC6621AF8-B210-41BF-91B9-323A81432F53.jpegC6621AF8-B210-41BF-91B9-323A81432F53.jpeg
#10 1 year ago

I just used a low watt equivalent from the hardware store on my Party Animal, it works just fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-box-light-bulb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.