• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_5213.JPG
100_5210.JPG
100_5212.JPG
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Apart from the vents at the rear which seems the only way to cool the back box & lamps..

I'm currently devising a way to keep our pins electrical side cool. I got the idea from DE - Star Trek, granted the fan is to cool the unique hologram

Just a little update on my movements today.

Ideas greatly appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Doesn't need it. Apart from the fact that pins can be on for 24 hours with no problems, fans pull dust into the head which causes more harm than heat.

#3 11 years ago

A filter will be applied.

or rid your games room of dust - Simple.

#4 11 years ago

Either way.. I'll be testing my idea.

Before - Leaving machine on for 24 hours with a thermometer inside.

After - Fan/filter installed & left on for 24 hours with a thermometer inside.

Even if it's a few degrees less, I can see it being very worth it.

#5 11 years ago

This is a pointless venture. The temps inside the back box don't reach levels that would cause components to fail prematurely. Beachfront and boardwalk arcades ran pins in extreme temperature conditions without issues.

#6 11 years ago

.. that could well of been true 15 years ago when the tables were new.

But as we fully well know components, cables, molex etc deteriorate over time.

#7 11 years ago

The cooler they are the better they run just like a PC/Laptop..

#8 11 years ago

Putting LED's in the backbox is one of the best ways to bring temps down. That's the main reason to use LED's, not because they are brighter, that's just an extra perk (or drawback to some).

#9 11 years ago

Venture? I won't be approaching Dragons Den

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

Putting LED's in the backbox is one of the best ways to bring temps down. That's the main reason to use LED's, not because they are brighter, that's just an extra perk (or drawback to some).

+1

#11 11 years ago

..Goes without saying.

Looks like i'll be bring the temp down even more.

#12 11 years ago

As much as I'd hate to agree with this guy I think I might. No one thinks this would help with bad solder joints or burnt GI connectors? Seems like it would have to. Yes LEDs would fix the problem also but there's many people who don't use them for any # of reasons. Yes dust would be a factor because we love our pins and don't want any dust on them. The dust Dosent hurt our computers and it won't hurt out pins. But it will be annoying and dusty. I own an appliance service company and most appliances have fans in them to prolong life.I personally won't use them since I'm using LEDs in everything. I don't know what kind of filter system your thinking about but unless you use a expensive filter it would have to be cleaned every few days. That's not practical. To much maintainince already. I can't see it being a good business venture though. It would only be worth $15_$20 and that's only to a few select people. And half of them wouldn't buy shit from you. So with that being said you should take a loan out against your business and another mortgage out on your house and start mass producing fans with hepa filters.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#14 11 years ago

Suppose only time will tell to see if my idea will work.

#15 11 years ago

I've seen this discussed on RGP 45 times at least...

Here's one for example, from all that I've read over the years I wouldn't bother adding fans...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/8ca94f662c3f5f51/67113b8720389de2?lnk=gst&q=backbox+fan#67113b8720389de2

#16 11 years ago

Cheers for the link.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

Technically the original grinds that come attached to a back box act as a filter.
Until I've tested the fan I'll be keeping the "filter" part close to my chest. That's just me..
On average how much an LED set? Rhetorical question by the way.
I don't sell "shit" son.. It can be arrange but it's not my cup of Earl grey, sorry.
I've also no need for a lone either.
Loving your input though. More.. Please.
But if you want to chat one 2 one as i do not want this thread to be out me as a person drop me a PM or email.

First of all I'm not your son. If I was I would do the world a favor and blow my brains out. Partially for having a father that can't spell "loan". Second off ill post anything I damn well please. Lord knows you go around saying anything you want to anyone you want. So if you can't take it don't dish it out. I've never tilted you before but I'm one step away from joining the we hate bvm so let's tilt him club. I'm the only one who agreed with you. So I'm with everyone else now. It's a stupid idea, how about you stick a fan up your ass and cool down, son.

#18 11 years ago

Testing is going well.. Photos to follow asap.

#19 11 years ago

I still see this "venture: as nothing but a waste of time. It won't help anything. This would not help connectors or joints. These issues are caused by heat, but not by the heat in the box, it is the heat from the electricity running through the circuits. If you cool the inside of the box down by 15 degrees you will have achieved nothing in helping your long term useable of the machine. LED's reduce heat, but their true benefit is in power consumption and not the heat.

#22 11 years ago

No one cares if you sold a machine, you are a super douchebag though...congrats on that!!

#23 11 years ago

why not just turn down the ac while you have them on?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

No one cares if you sold a machine, you are a super douchebag though...congrats on that!!

+1

#25 11 years ago

+2

#26 11 years ago

the fans I put in my boxes I have blowing outward.... heat rises to the fan and is sucked out...

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

+2 and I recently bought a bunch of #555 frosted white LEDs from PBL and changed the backbox for all my games. This would be the main source of heat in the backbox anyways and I've burned my fingers a few times changing out bulbs after just turning the machine off. I also wasn't too keen on the look initially because there is a cool white glow and then warm yellow glow on the bottom. But the looks trade off is worth it for cooler temps in the head and less stress on the connectors/boards and most importantly it doesn't affect game play.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

the fans I put in my boxes I have blowing outward.... heat rises to the fan and is sucked out...

Any photos?

#29 11 years ago

Re:- LED's as mentioned above. They are not to everyone's taste.. Hence the fan idea.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Doesn't need it.

+1 Especially for HUO. If it ain't broke don't fix it....

#31 11 years ago

not on me... I can take a few when I get home from the salt mines...

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

BVM said:Any photos
not on me... I can take a few when I get home from the salt mines...

That would be great. Thank you

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

epotech said:Doesn't need it.
+1 Especially for HUO. If it ain't broke don't fix it....

I'm all for that.

I also like the word "Prevention"

#34 11 years ago

I've so had enough of you.... You try to come back here, change your name, change how you are, put little smileys at the end of all your pompous and idiotic posts, but inevitably, all that is “you” just flows like a leaky toilet no one cares to fix.

Why don’t you make a forum on your for sale site you hose people on, and anyone wanting to give a crap can view your little annoyances there.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

Re:- LED's as mentioned above. They are not to everyone's taste.. Hence the fan idea.

Your still not getting it dude. But have fun.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

I'm all for that.

Even when it clearly isn't needed?? It's your pin, do as you please.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

BVM said:
I'm all for that.
Even when it clearly isn't needed?? It's your pin, do as you please.

Tests will prove this.. Granted they may fail, they may even work but then again that is what the word "test" means.

Doh.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've so had enough of you.... You try to come back here, change your name, change how you are, put little smileys at the end of all your pompous and idiotic posts, but inevitably, all that is “you” just flows like a leaky toilet no one cares to fix.
Why don’t you make a forum on your for sale site you hose people on, and anyone wanting to give a crap can view your little annoyances there.

That's not a bad idea.

You guys just keep helping me out.

I salute you and you & YOU!

I'll add a banner & point it to this site because at the end of the day you've helped me be it with advice, tips &hints.

#40 11 years ago

People have put filtered fans on pinball games before, no big deal. Frozen CPU has 5 pages of them:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g47/c223/list/p2/Fan_Accessories-Fan_Filters.html?o=title_az

The GI connectors melt, not because of the ambient temp of the games interior, but because too much current is drawn through them.

A $27 (100@$39 - 30% volume discount) bag of 100 clear LEDs from Pinball Life will drop the interior temp of the game 30 degrees or more. It will also drop the power draw of the game by 60%. Drawing less power will preserve the power supply and of course protect the GI connectors.

If you don't like the look of LEDs, get the Retro bulbs for GI, or only put LEDs under the playfield and inside the backbox where the color is filtered by the inserts anyway.

#42 11 years ago

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

Before - Leaving machine on for 24 hours with a thermometer inside.
After - Fan/filter installed & left on for 24 hours with a thermometer inside.

The air temp will be cooler, there is no doubt about that...unless the flow is extremely low or the room air temp is very high; it is essentially simple physics.

To see if it's effective, it's more important to see the effect on either a hi-temp component or connector.

If you can't show that you can materially change the temperature of the connectors or components, then the usefulness is limited.

By-the-way, you will also need to measure the room temperature during your "study"...to remove it's affect.

Robert

#45 11 years ago

Last Summer I was working on my Pinball Magic. It was about 95 out and no AC in the room with the PM. The Bridges were running extremely hot. I thought of adding fans but never did. Still I don't think it can hurt the situation. I would have added small two fans both blowing out from the top vents.

#46 11 years ago

ok this is the back box for star trek 25th another fan was added.. not by me, but I left it... one blows air in and one blows air out...

100_5212.JPG100_5212.JPG

#47 11 years ago

this is one I put in .05vdc blowing out...

100_5210.JPG100_5210.JPG

#48 11 years ago

and one more for kicks.... not done by me It worked...

100_5213.JPG100_5213.JPG

#49 11 years ago

The examples above are a perfect reason why after market fans in pinballs dont make sense. In the first picture the fans are so close they do nothing but recirculate each others air. No cross ventilation In the second it probably does very little because there is once again no cross ventialtion. The last is the worst. I cant tell the direction but the hot capacitors are feeding warm air into the hot heat sinks on the resistors.

The best way to get air flow by using fans is cross ventilation. So you would have to make a vent on the left side of the head and blow air across the components and out through the right side.

This is all pretty much useless becuase of the layout of the components, the wiring, and the surface area of the backbox. Everything is in the way. And little PC fans dont have the CFM's needed to cool such a large surface area.

I'm pretty sure BVM wants to win the millionth post award.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I'm pretty sure BVM wants to win the millionth post award

lol...

ya I left the first one alone... the second one I added, just thought it might help to pull some hot air out. the third one, well that board was just replaced... see my post on problems with mad amusement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-box-cooling and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.