Topic Stats

• 348 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by nitrojcrawf
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3218.JPG
Modfather Castle Walls Darker.jpg
BAC Castle Walls.jpg
castle4.jpg
castle3.jpg
castle2.jpg
Castle1.jpg
20140516_210855.jpg
20140516_210928.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I'm not knocking TMezel's mods but I'm not a fan of 3D printing quite yet. The quality in comparison to injection molding or resin casts isn't quite there. As well if you compare Matt's to Mezel's you will see that Matt's looks much more like the one in the movie and his mod has been approved by WB. Just cause your the first out the gate doesn't mean anything if it isn't the superior product. Kudos for both of them but I think Matt created a better version.

Don't be embarassed. Evident differences between Matt's pro stuff and homebrew 3D printer stuff. The BAC city looks far bett err an more accurate imo. As does the tornado. heck, I prefer my clear-ish homemade tornado to the mezel one. But people will buy/install what they like. More options are good.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

The castle walls look like a must-have for me. They are so prominent on the play field that I think it will have a very positive impact on the overall appearance of the game.

Agree. Not tempted by the Toto basket, made a sweet tornado, but the castle walls make that pf area look nicely finished. Hope they're not ridiculously expensive tho!

1 month later
#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

My reason is that if the mod were ever to be removed for any reason, there may be damage to what it is attached to either by removing original artwork or by leaving residue. In truth, it is really an unknown at this point but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Use museum putty. Holds solid, removes easily without a trace!

2 months later
#153 5 years ago

Yup, Mat does great work--the stock WOZ stuff (trees, etc.), castle walls, Predator stuff, Spidey mods, and lots more I've probably never seen. Also looking forward to the castle walls, might consider th city too if there's a good package deal. (OK, OK, but it *is* an LE!)

2 weeks later
#183 5 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Only 2 days until I get to order my mods..........I can't wait!
I almost forgot about the Emerald City Mod, I will be ordering that at the same time as the others as well........

169973.jpg 11 KB

I just checked--if that little piece of plastic city is $50, the castle walls will probably be at least $150. No thanks at that price. Seriously, it's maybe a $75 mod on my value scale. But I'm sure it will have buyers at any price.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

LMAO
I have always tried to make a quality product that I can back and keep a fair price on. WOZ mods are no exception to that rule.

$225 for the castle walls? For a few pieces of molded, colored plastic? This is not even a consideration for me, as much as I like the design. There are some Pinsiders who will buy any mod at any price, so you do have your small market. This would be a must-have for most WOZ owners if it was really offered at a reasonable price.

[BTW, a reminder to others to search for my homemade tornado, which costs nothing apart from about 20 minutes of your time, and looks more 'tornado-y than the molded plastic ones IMO...]

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

ยป YouTube video

I don't understand the mounting here. Why butt up against the switch bracket and drill holes in the plastic, and attach with 2 more nuts/bolts, when it looks like the bracket holes are sized to be attachable to the existing switch bracket using the existing switch mounting screws?

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

$8,000 for a game and a couple hundred to make it look sooo much better is not a huge deal. If you can afford a Woz your can afford a mod.... Chill stevenP

Yes I can afford it. But I was raised to value 'value' and I really don't like to pay more than what I think something is worth, even if I can well afford it. I've bought entire working EMs for less than these few pieces of molded plastic, so for me these walls are way overpriced for what they are, even though they look great. Others will think differently and order them, that's fine. We all have our own preferences, priorities, values. Again, great-looking products, but way outside what I consider to be "worth the price."

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Stern will let you purchase a LUCI mini playfield so that you can transform your existing game into a LUCI model.

I bet they would, if you offered to pay for one.

Quoted from Jetzxi:

I am also thankful that these are being made in the good ole USA by Matt! With the rising cost of materials and labor rates these days, I am honestly surprised these don't cost more.

Whoa, I'm glad I'm not drinking the same kool-aid you are!

Quoted from Jetzxi:

If anyone has ever seen Matt's work, you know he does not cut corners and has great quality control on his proffesionally made products.

Agreed. Quality, but at what cost?

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I agree with GAP, I consider the $100 walls a downgrade from the original. Matt's walls look great. How many Pinsiders that have their own shop of any kind, or work in one, can honestly say that they would be comfortable casting and hand finishing these at this price. It has to be worth the effort and shop time. And remember, there will not be 5,000 units made either. It is cheaper than a sheet of invisglass. Well done Matt!

But it's not a 1-off custom set. it is a set of plastic pieces that, once designed, can be cranked out in quantity for no huge cost in parts or labor. So the marked-up price is pretty steep, IMO. I like both sets of walls, even though they have a different look, because they both close in the castle pf better, hide the monkey, etc. Matt's has finer detail, but both add a cooler look to the original (which isn't bad either, btw).

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

You know this is getting kind of ugly - this back and forth. In my opinion they both look pretty good. Either one is certainly better than what is on there now. I like having an option, which you don't get very often in mods. I don't have the talent to make something like this so good for them. I hope both guys make a lot of money and then turn their talents to something else, like mods of the tin man, cowardly lion, etc.

I have a different view. And it is why I posted in this thread to begin with. Pinsiders providing comments here are excellent market data. And it's a voice. As a manufacturer of mods, it would be great to get direct (free) feedback here on who is or isn't buying, why, what they like/dislike, etc. And I think a lot of posts here provide that (with limited statistics, but still varied sentiments). First off, Matt does great work. I love the WOZ trees, think the Spiderman mods were very cool/tasteful, really like the castle walls, etc. And I appreciate that quality product takes time and talent. So I think its helpful to see why some people bought them, why some said no, and what was liked/disliked about the product. Feedback is good.

#304 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

If this statement was true then why do you feel the need to keep bringing his work up in this and other threads about how its way over priced. I think your back peddling at this point. Just own up that you've been harsh and rude about it and move on. Nobody cares really. But Matt's friends are going to back him up on his work effort and talents.

First of all, it's "backpedaling," and second, that's not what I'm doing at all. I think the walls look cool, appreciate the talent/effort made in designing them, never said differently, and yes, I think they are way overpriced and won't be buying them for that reason.

Moving on....

3 weeks later
#347 5 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I agree.
I think the munchkin huts look really cheap compared to the rest of the playfield.

But still way better than most secondary Stern pf plastic toys. It's not an off-the-shelf generic toy and fits in well with the playfield area and theme. I don't think it looks cheap at all, to be honest.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 12.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside