Topic Stats

• 348 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by nitrojcrawf
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3218.JPG
Modfather Castle Walls Darker.jpg
BAC Castle Walls.jpg
castle4.jpg
castle3.jpg
castle2.jpg
Castle1.jpg
20140516_210855.jpg
20140516_210928.jpg

There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 5 years ago

They don't come any better then this! Very nicely done Matt, craftsmanship at it's finest.

#202 5 years ago

They are very nice and I am sure there is a lot of time to develop and produce them, but that is a lot of money for them. I will have to reconsider as well.

#203 5 years ago

ups, I did it, these wonderful mods will be mine.
Don't care about money, we can't take the money with us when we leave the earth.

#204 5 years ago

I am still bummed out by the lack of sparkle on the city.
Walls seem to be very expensive to me. Now I have to consider the "other" wall set, what to do.

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Not to take anything away from the other gent making the walls as well, Matt has put a lot of time into getting these ready for sale. Ill be purchasing these from Matt.

What was this guy vyzer thinking? Yes these are priced very high. I am sure the craftsmanship is first rate, but this is priced very high. Decisions decisions

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

LMAO
I have always tried to make a quality product that I can back and keep a fair price on. WOZ mods are no exception to that rule.

$225 for the castle walls? For a few pieces of molded, colored plastic? This is not even a consideration for me, as much as I like the design. There are some Pinsiders who will buy any mod at any price, so you do have your small market. This would be a must-have for most WOZ owners if it was really offered at a reasonable price.

[BTW, a reminder to others to search for my homemade tornado, which costs nothing apart from about 20 minutes of your time, and looks more 'tornado-y than the molded plastic ones IMO...]

#207 5 years ago

I don't understand the mounting here. Why butt up against the switch bracket and drill holes in the plastic, and attach with 2 more nuts/bolts, when it looks like the bracket holes are sized to be attachable to the existing switch bracket using the existing switch mounting screws?

#208 5 years ago

$8,000 for a game and a couple hundred to make it look sooo much better is not a huge deal. If you can afford a Woz your can afford a mod.... Chill stevenP

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

$8,000 for a game and a couple hundred to make it look sooo much better is not a huge deal. If you can afford a Woz your can afford a mod.... Chill stevenP

Yes I can afford it. But I was raised to value 'value' and I really don't like to pay more than what I think something is worth, even if I can well afford it. I've bought entire working EMs for less than these few pieces of molded plastic, so for me these walls are way overpriced for what they are, even though they look great. Others will think differently and order them, that's fine. We all have our own preferences, priorities, values. Again, great-looking products, but way outside what I consider to be "worth the price."

#210 5 years ago

I'm out. Thats some crazy pricing for a couple pieces of stationary plastic.

#211 5 years ago

If jjp installs this in every red woz

They need some hundrets and must produce it industrial

What is very cheap if you have a quantity

I

#212 5 years ago

I paid $350 for a stationary piece of glass that does nothing. In fact, nobody noticing it was the whole point, and it's the most expensive mod on my LOTR. This, people will notice. And I think it's worth the price. Way better than the horrible stickered castle that's there now and better than the other mod out there, which simply looks too homemade for my taste. My order is in. I just hope it also performs sexual favors as previously requested.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just hope it also performs sexual favors as previously requested.

Don't put anything in the Castle Doors that shouldn't be there!

#214 5 years ago

I'm out. The original walls aren't that bad. Geez that's high.

#215 5 years ago

I hate to say it, but when an american makes something like this it is $350 but if you farm out the work to China it then sells for $50. I don't really have a point to this. You only need to look at the plastic or resin figures on amazon to see the prices are low and almost everything is made where labor cost much less.

#216 5 years ago

This mod looks great, but i heard JJP controls the pricing on this.

#217 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure JJP does control the pricing. Matt emailed me that he had to get the prices and go ahead from jack to start selling them. So I think that's out of his hands. JJP and warner brothers both get a cut I think. Licensing sucks.

#218 5 years ago

I am happy to have the chance to add some official mods and not knock offs to my WOZ to make it look more like the 75TH anniversary model if I choose. I am not sure of any other manufactures that would allow you to do that. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Stern will let you purchase a LUCI mini playfield so that you can transform your existing game into a LUCI model.

I am also thankful that these are being made in the good ole USA by Matt! With the rising cost of materials and labor rates these days, I am honestly surprised these don't cost more.

If anyone has ever seen Matt's work, you know he does not cut corners and has great quality control on his proffesionally made products.

Thanks again Matt and JJP for offering these!

Chris

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm pretty sure JJP does control the pricing. Matt emailed me that he had to get the prices and go ahead from jack to start selling them.

Jack is greedy. I'm surprised he hasn't sent a cease and desist letter to the other castle wall maker.

#220 5 years ago

Jack works his ass off and deserves every dime he gets.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

That makes no sense. Let's say WoZ is a fair deal at 8K and you buy one (many might differ). Why is that a license to overcharge for enhancements? Of course nobody is forcing anyone to buy these. Most will pass. Why not charge a fair price to value added?

I asked a subcontractor that was working on my house how he based his pricing for his services. He candidly said I charge what I feel the owner can afford. I was GC on my own (not too modest) house and quickly learned to describe the services I required by quantity/quality and get a preliminary quote before ever letting them set foot on my property. I had quotes for the same products and services in-person well over 100% higher from those I did not employ that strategy with. HVAC 78K vs what I paid $26k, plumbing roofing, all the same.

Just because think someone can afford to pay more does not justify trying to screw them.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Stern will let you purchase a LUCI mini playfield so that you can transform your existing game into a LUCI model.

I bet they would, if you offered to pay for one.

Quoted from Jetzxi:

I am also thankful that these are being made in the good ole USA by Matt! With the rising cost of materials and labor rates these days, I am honestly surprised these don't cost more.

Whoa, I'm glad I'm not drinking the same kool-aid you are!

Quoted from Jetzxi:

If anyone has ever seen Matt's work, you know he does not cut corners and has great quality control on his proffesionally made products.

Agreed. Quality, but at what cost?

#223 5 years ago

What ever the outcome. People will speak with there wallets. Me personally I really like them. But I will wait for the clearance sale.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I bet they would, if you offered to pay for one.

Go ahead and try, they will tell you no............

#225 5 years ago

You could be waiting a while. I'm sure any unsold ones will just go into the ruby reds this summer.

#226 5 years ago

As I have told customers at my business repeatedly," if you think you can build it better or cheaper, and it is worth your time to do so, by all means go ahead. If your time/skill/ambitions are otherwise, it may be a value to you to earn money other ways and spend your money on this product."

I always prefer DIY if possible. But I also have learned my limitations and the value of paying someone else "too much" for something I am not going to ever do myself.

#227 5 years ago

Jesus, those walls are more than buying the entire MM castle!

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You could be waiting a while. I'm sure any unsold ones will just go into the ruby reds this summer.

All 10 people that bought a Ruby Red for $9K

#229 5 years ago

Wow....I am with the majority here. The wall mod price is pretty crazy. I was interested in it, but no way for $225. I may have to consider the "other" wall mod, which is hand made and selling for a more reasonable price.

#230 5 years ago

I really like the look of the walls, but 225 is simply a stupid price for a few pieces of plastic. I will make my own or do without. If each one is truly 'hand made' then I strongly suggest BAC invest in a Makerbot or similar production device, or make a mold for them.

But wait, aren't these going on 1000 ruby editions??

I'd love to see the BOM line item for these on the ruby red edition. Couldn't be more than $20 or so for the whole batch. Maybe if the price wasn't so stupidly high for us ECLE owners, you might sell more sets and ultimately make the same amount of profit.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Wow....I am with the majority here. The wall mod price is pretty crazy. I was interested in it, but no way for $225. I may have to consider the "other" wall mod, which is hand made and selling for a more reasonable price.

I don't really consider the "other wall mod" a step down. Both are very nice but pretty equal to me. I have looked very closely at the pictures and if the prices were the same - well it would be a difficult choice. Let's say you go the $225 route and sometime in the future you decide to sell your WOZ. I wonder how much of that you will be able to recoup? However, both guys have really done a very good job and should be commended.

#232 5 years ago

I'm out. Crazy pricing for a "mod" that is not interactive or even mechanical in any way. They're just plastic "walls", right? Not highly detailed custom busts/figures of WOZ characters, right??

I guess some people just have money burning a serious hole in their pockets. I can think of dozens of other areas of the game that could be improved before adding a couple more walls at this price. How about a more detailed witch plastic that actually looks more like the wicked witch!! Maybe even eyes that light up? Now that's a mod.

On a different note ... I'm a little nervous what Smaug is going to look like for Hobbit. The only characters/figures I've seen Matt do himself are the trees in WOZ (mediocre IMO) and now Toto (which seems to have also gotten a fair amount of criticism.) Did Matt do the witch plastic in WOZ too? That's a pretty underwhelming piece as well. Does anyone know of a detailed figure/character that Matt has done himself that is a better example of his talent??

#233 5 years ago

I have been a customer of Back Alley Creations in the past and will be in the future and have been waiting for the castle walls since day one. Then I saw the walls being offered by Modfather. To be quite honest, I like the look of his walls better and when you factor in the price difference, it was a no brainer for me. To each his own.

#234 5 years ago

I was so much looking forward to buy the really good looking castle walls from Matt.
But somehow I lost interest. Why could it be? Hmm... strange..

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Quietmouse:

As I have told customers at my business repeatedly," if you think you can build it better or cheaper, and it is worth your time to do so, by all means go ahead. If your time/skill/ambitions are otherwise, it may be a value to you to earn money other ways and spend your money on this product."
I always prefer DIY if possible. But I also have learned my limitations and the value of paying someone else "too much" for something I am not going to ever do myself.

Yes, but is it better to sell 60-70 sets of walls at $225 or 500 sets at $100 - $125?? I would think the latter would be much more rewarding and profitable for Matt. I would think the real effort was in the initial design/creation. Mass manufacturing would be less effort ... so you have to price them right to maximize your profit/reward. The general consensus seems to be a "big miss".

#236 5 years ago

I heard Jack say that pricing on "Parts" would be discounted for owners of WOZLE as an added bonus. I realize that these are not being sold by jack, and these are mods, not replacement parts.. but still pretty ridiculous pricing. LE sufferers should get 20% off anything (although even that pricing discount would not help this)

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm a little nervous what Smaug is going to look like for Hobbit. The only characters/figures I've seen Matt do himself are the trees in WOZ

Do we know thats whats happening on TH? I was hoping for an official die cast model or something that they would modify.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Do we know thats whats happening on TH? I was hoping for an official die cast model or something that they would modify.

It's a molded mountain on one side, smaug on the other. It rotates. Smaug grabs ball off wireforms, places in hole to subway.

#239 5 years ago

Personally, I'll take Matt's wall WOZ mod over the other wall mod. The other wall mod for $100.00 looks horrible for the $$$$ . Yeah cheaper, but they look cheaply made and constructed. Reminds me of the dough you use to make as a kid, bake it , paint it and breaks 20 minutes later. The other mod doesn't look crisp, too many ragged edges and paint job is blah to white and black, doesn't look aged.

Do a side by side comparison of the quality. They always say you get what you pay for. I'm happy to pay the higher price for a top quality product which will enhance my game, not devalue it.

And the witch in the bird cage mod, I don't get that. Was that in the movie? If you don't like the acrylic tube just remove it and buy extra witches to replace when broken.

Again, Matt's mods are licensed, they are going on the 75th Anniversary. I want the same mods on my game that are going on the 75th Anniversary. Also Matt sculpted all the mods in the WOZ so it makes sense to go with these additional mods.

231651-i.jpg
231304-i.jpg

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's a molded mountain on one side, smaug on the other. It rotates. Smaug grabs ball off wireforms, places in hole to subway.

But Matt was the one to create the look (individual model/pieces) of Smaug, correct?

Also, I was told it was intereactive in TWO ways ... so he must do something else? His tail perhaps?

#241 5 years ago

I am out at this price.

#242 5 years ago

I agree with GAP, I consider the $100 walls a downgrade from the original. Matt's walls look great. How many Pinsiders that have their own shop of any kind, or work in one, can honestly say that they would be comfortable casting and hand finishing these at this price. It has to be worth the effort and shop time. And remember, there will not be 5,000 units made either. It is cheaper than a sheet of invisglass. Well done Matt!

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Really? You sound certain.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I agree with GAP, I consider the $100 walls a downgrade from the original. Matt's walls look great. How many Pinsiders that have their own shop of any kind, or work in one, can honestly say that they would be comfortable casting and hand finishing these at this price. It has to be worth the effort and shop time. And remember, there will not be 5,000 units made either. It is cheaper than a sheet of invisglass. Well done Matt!

But it's not a 1-off custom set. it is a set of plastic pieces that, once designed, can be cranked out in quantity for no huge cost in parts or labor. So the marked-up price is pretty steep, IMO. I like both sets of walls, even though they have a different look, because they both close in the castle pf better, hide the monkey, etc. Matt's has finer detail, but both add a cooler look to the original (which isn't bad either, btw).

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Really? You sound certain.

I'm certain enough to bet on it...

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

But Matt was the one to create the look (individual model/pieces) of Smaug, correct?

Yes.

#246 5 years ago

I absolutely prefer Matt's walls to what I assume are the 3D printed alternative's, no contest IMO, but the price difference is much more substantial than I had expected it to be.

I'll take a wait and see approach, hope that they maybe put together a more flexible package deal including the Emerald City. I'm not expecting any kind of ECLE owner deal, as much as I think that would have been a nice gesture, it would probably be difficult to control and verify.

#247 5 years ago

I wouldn't consider putting a third party mod in a WOZECLE (or in a Silver WOZ) unless the mod is top notch quality aesthetically and unless it dovetails with the original intent and ambience of the game perfectly. An $8000 NIB WOZECLE (and this price is likely to go higher when the remaining WOZECLE's are delivered) would tolerate nothing less. I'd give first priority to any mod that's done by the original artist, and I agree with Texas Stargazer that anything else would be a downgrade and bastardize the game.

In the case I can't afford the proper mods, I'd prefer not to install any mods at all so the game could be modded properly by the new owner if I ever decide to sell it (without hassles).

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm certain enough to bet on it...

OK, well, do you know how the "interacting with the ball at both ends" works?

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

OK, well, do you know how the "interacting with the ball at both ends" works?

Oh man, I just made an erection joke at one of your other posts and then you hand this out? Must ... behave ... myself ...

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh man, I just made an erection joke at one of your other posts and then you hand this out? Must ... behave ... myself ...

Stalker

That "2 ends" thing was a quote from Jack, by the way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside