Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pimball.GIF
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    69DFCFDC-E12D-4C2D-8036-6C15CDB4799D (resized).png
    waterdatacenter (resized).png
    uOcsyp (resized).png
    B4EC046D-B13A-4FFE-8F23-3C245F7AE44F (resized).png
    umm-humm-when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong (resized).jpg
    10b05741d4aa7afec9de5412a443548c (resized).jpeg
    49E5334B-EE51-4A76-B09B-8E99668037D7 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    6DB69A6E-3813-42D2-91AE-969F14A01757 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#160 3 years ago

I’ve been in your shoes... good luck with the recovery efforts!

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from Compy:

I don't think this calls for a downvote. You're asking some very very good questions. I have businesses that are centered around pinside for sales, and as such, we donate or pay marketplace fees to them for the audience. We will absolutely continue to do so. It just reinforces the fact that we need diversity of both a web frontend and the pinside marketplace to sell our product.
    Some things, like "ordering a new server" this day and age for a site that is one (or many) people's primary source of income is still one hell of a head scratcher for me. Especially when cloud offerings exist that solve (lack of) redundancy issues. But hey, everyone's a site reliability engineer in hindsight The good news is we all learn and move on!
    -- Jimmy

Cloud hosting has its own problems. I work with AWS and Azure and I’ve seen plenty of outages and disasters in both commercial and federal clouds. It’s also not always cost effective versus hosting yourself.

Robin could still implement redundancy (or more feasibly, failover) and still host himself. There’s also plenty of backup strategies for backing up a forum like this to S3 or Azure Storage.

#217 3 years ago

I had a couple racks in the old Enron data center in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina. We were up for a couple of days until the US Coast Guard confiscated our diesel supply on the roof for their recovery efforts! I was pissed.

Unless you’ve got Google bucks, things can and will happen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-after-a-major-outage?tu=radium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.