Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pimball.GIF
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    69DFCFDC-E12D-4C2D-8036-6C15CDB4799D (resized).png
    waterdatacenter (resized).png
    uOcsyp (resized).png
    B4EC046D-B13A-4FFE-8F23-3C245F7AE44F (resized).png
    umm-humm-when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong (resized).jpg
    10b05741d4aa7afec9de5412a443548c (resized).jpeg
    49E5334B-EE51-4A76-B09B-8E99668037D7 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    6DB69A6E-3813-42D2-91AE-969F14A01757 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago

AH-ha!!! I’ve been hammering the beta site refresh hoping it would come online first.

God bless. I was having massive withdrawals. My almost 4 year streak (1318 days) on this website, crushed!!

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I saw a comment elsewhere on line being very critical of Robin for running Pinside from a personal server at home, instead of from a professional hosting service that could never possibly crash.
    Glad you had backup, since it looks like lots of folks on webnx are screwed!

Those people are clueless, they all kept saying it’s a personal server when WebNX is a professional outfit who goofed up hard lol.
    The Facebook peanut gallery proved they are toxic af.

Quoted from alexanr1:

May want to consider hosting on AWS in the future....

No thanks, Amazon doesn’t need to own the last free half % of the Internet.

#166 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

At the expense of being down voted...
    This shows how fragile a site hosted by an individual is. Maybe it will be better now.
    What if Robin decides to quit, or he gets sick, or even worse passes away, or something else that causes him to stop hosting.
    What happens then? What if no one comes forward to take on the task of hosting, do all of the threads disappear?
    Granted probably 80% of the posts aren't that important for posterity... all the posts for what the next game from CGC is and when is it coming out, etc.
    But there are a number of threads that help people with trouble shooting and repairs that I would hate to lose.
    Wouldn't want Pinside to go the way of RGP.
    Just some thoughts.
    Robert

Quoted from Compy:

I don't think this calls for a downvote. You're asking some very very good questions. I have businesses that are centered around pinside for sales, and as such, we donate or pay marketplace fees to them for the audience. We will absolutely continue to do so. It just reinforces the fact that we need diversity of both a web frontend and the pinside marketplace to sell our product.
    Some things, like "ordering a new server" this day and age for a site that is one (or many) people's primary source of income is still one hell of a head scratcher for me. Especially when cloud offerings exist that solve (lack of) redundancy issues. But hey, everyone's a site reliability engineer in hindsight The good news is we all learn and move on!
    -- Jimmy

This is pure nonsense. “Clouds” are not magical beings and the companies that run them are not very good. I am GLAD Robin doesn’t “wh*re out” Pinside to Amazon or Google.

Also all this talk of an “individual hosting a website” WTF? Robin doesn’t run this site from his house. Can you imagine if we were all hammering a tiny server in someone’s house in the Netherlands? We’d be covering his entire towns heating bills!

I’m confident in Robin and I’m sure he’s got plans in place in case something were to happen to him. His commitment to privacy is amazing and I think folks here just gloss over it and take it for granted.

We live in an age where ALL YOUR PHOTOS on the “Google Cloud” are scanned and analyzed by Google. All your photos backed up by Amazon are deemed “their property”.
    On Pinside your stuff belongs to you. Your PMs are private and your emails and contact info is private.
    Robin could probably make a ton by selling all our info if he wanted. He’s committed to this hobby and to us! I thank him for what he does, and his brother too! You guys are incredible.

#212 3 years ago

Ah I see Achievements are down right now, and the streaks are paused! Now I’m slowly noticing what’s working and what’s not.

Robin, while you’re rebuilding the site, are you keeping some things offline or are you slowly finding out what’s broken and what’s not? I know this a monumental task, so I know patch notes don’t take priority, just figured I might ask!

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Robin, don't even worry about being down for a few days. It's a minor disturbance among our first world problems and everything appears to be fine.
    I am apart of another forum that focuses on 1960's Shelby cars (SAAC Forum). Well, that site crashed 18 months ago and everything was lost. 15 years of online forum history, discussions and significant information regarding everything Shelby...... gone. There were no backups and nothing was recoverable so we lost it all. It was a damn shame.
    You've done an amazing job on this site and loosing a couple of hours of Pinside history is insignificant. Consider what happened to my other beloved forum and just think how lucky we all are to have everything back up and running again with almost zero loss of content. Besides, a couple days without Pinside made me realize how much I appreciate this site. You know what they say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder". So true.
    Great job Robin, great job.
    QSS

Wow that’s depressing. Pinside is 18, I shudder to think about losing all the precious resources and stories, vid’s guides, and especially all the archives of pinheads who have coined up that great pinball hall in the sky.

Their stories are maintained here and nowhere else, they’d never come back if we lost them. It’s sad to hear about all that Shelby data lost, hopefully some of it has been archived?

Thank YOU Robin for being prepared for the worst, Pinside has survived to see another day!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-after-a-major-outage?tu=Isochronic_Frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.