Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pimball.GIF
    image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    69DFCFDC-E12D-4C2D-8036-6C15CDB4799D (resized).png
    waterdatacenter (resized).png
    uOcsyp (resized).png
    B4EC046D-B13A-4FFE-8F23-3C245F7AE44F (resized).png
    umm-humm-when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong (resized).jpg
    10b05741d4aa7afec9de5412a443548c (resized).jpeg
    49E5334B-EE51-4A76-B09B-8E99668037D7 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    6DB69A6E-3813-42D2-91AE-969F14A01757 (resized).jpeg
    There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I "donated" about an hour before the site went down with my pinball for sale post. I immediately had people interested but couldn't msg them for 5-6 days due to the outage. Maybe pinside could donate to ME & my buyers for our inconvenience?

How much money did you lose out of pocket when the site went down? Actual money, not potential sale money...

Maybe PM Robin and send him a note of thanks for his work on providing an audience for your sale?

Stay classy....

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I "donated" about an hour before the site went down with my pinball for sale post. I immediately had people interested but couldn't msg them for 5-6 days due to the outage. Maybe pinside could donate to ME & my buyers for our inconvenience?

How do you always have such a shitty take on things?

#103 3 years ago

Glad its back. was banging my head in the wpc95 remakes group about it

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I just donated a dollar for every time I hit the refresh button this week.

Me too!!

#105 3 years ago

At the expense of being down voted...

This shows how fragile a site hosted by an individual is. Maybe it will be better now.

What if Robin decides to quit, or he gets sick, or even worse passes away, or something else that causes him to stop hosting.

What happens then? What if no one comes forward to take on the task of hosting, do all of the threads disappear?

Granted probably 80% of the posts aren't that important for posterity... all the posts for what the next game from CGC is and when is it coming out, etc.

But there are a number of threads that help people with trouble shooting and repairs that I would hate to lose.

Wouldn't want Pinside to go the way of RGP.

Just some thoughts.

Robert

#106 3 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you!!!. I never realized how addicted to his site I was until it was no longer there

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

This shows how fragile a site hosted by an individual is. Maybe it will be better now.
    What if Robin decides to quit, or he gets sick, or even worse passes away, or something else that causes him to stop hosting.
    What happens then? What if no one comes forward to take on the task of hosting, do all of the threads disappear?
    Granted probably 80% of the posts aren't that important for posterity... all the posts for what the next game from CGC is and when is it coming out, etc.
    But there are a number of threads that help people with trouble shooting and repairs that I would hate to lose.
    Just some thoughts.
    Robert

Can Agree, it also helps me direct it, ill probably arcive.org crawl the site for today

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Google could pull the plug on RGP archives.

LTG : )

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And in years to come. "My parents made me in the Great Pinside Blackout of 2021". Baby boom in 9 months.
    LTG : )

Haha!

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Just some thoughts.
    Robert

I don't think this calls for a downvote. You're asking some very very good questions. I have businesses that are centered around pinside for sales, and as such, we donate or pay marketplace fees to them for the audience. We will absolutely continue to do so. It just reinforces the fact that we need diversity of both a web frontend and the pinside marketplace to sell our product.

Some things, like "ordering a new server" this day and age for a site that is one (or many) people's primary source of income is still one hell of a head scratcher for me. Especially when cloud offerings exist that solve (lack of) redundancy issues. But hey, everyone's a site reliability engineer in hindsight The good news is we all learn and move on!

-- Jimmy

#111 3 years ago

Holy Shit a Pinside thread where everyone is happy ? I hope it lasts through the night it’s glorious .Your glorious too Robin thanks for the hard work .

#112 3 years ago

Sorry you had to go through all that Robin. I’m sure it cost som major bucks.

#113 3 years ago

Robin, je bent geweldig! Zo'n inzet voor de flipper community en wereldwijd!

#114 3 years ago

You don’t realize how much you rely on something until it is no longer available! So glad Pinside is back and happy to donate some undoubtedly needed dough to offset the costs involved. Thanks for all you do Robin!

#115 3 years ago

Welcome back!

#116 3 years ago

Man, I thought the pinball bubble finally burst! Glad pinside is back up and running!

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from Compy:

How do you always have such a shitty take on things?

10b05741d4aa7afec9de5412a443548c (resized).jpeg10b05741d4aa7afec9de5412a443548c (resized).jpeg
    #118 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

Glad it's back. Hanging out on Facebook for any kind of talk was awful.

You can certainly say that again! #truestory

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Compy:

I don't think this calls for a downvote. You're asking some very very good questions. I have businesses that are centered around pinside for sales, and as such, we donate or pay marketplace fees to them for the audience. We will absolutely continue to do so. It just reinforces the fact that we need diversity of both a web frontend and the pinside marketplace to sell our product.
    Some things, like "ordering a new server" this day and age for a site that is one (or many) people's primary source of income is still one hell of a head scratcher for me. Especially when cloud offerings exist that solve (lack of) redundancy issues. But hey, everyone's a site reliability engineer in hindsight The good news is we all learn and move on!
    -- Jimmy

very passive aggressive. Way to straddle the fence jimmy.

#120 3 years ago

Thanks for all the hard work getting the site back up

#121 3 years ago

Glad you are back up and running. Donation made to help out a little, as I read pinside more than I play pinball now days lol

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

[quoted image]

umm-humm-when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong (resized).jpgumm-humm-when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong (resized).jpg
    #123 3 years ago

Glad to see it back up...forgot how much I was addicted before it went down!!! Thank you Robin!!!!

( donating again)

#124 3 years ago

Yee-hah! Pinside is alive again!

robin I saw on the hosting company's site they offer a day of credit for every 15 minutes a site is down due to power. There are a lot of 15 minute intervals in six days - understand you are shopping for another a new hosting home, but maybe park the backup system on their site for a few years to burn down that credit? (see 100% power SLA near the bottom of this page https://webnx.com)

Also saw an article saying the event isn't unique - it claimed 21 such incidents brought down data centers over the past year including one in March in France.

On the 'glass half full' side, REALLY glad the backup/restore strategy works!

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Converter kit

#125 3 years ago

Should we start a new thread "Show us a picture of your data center"?.

#126 3 years ago

So glad to have this back. Visiting everyday for a long time, multiple times a day, you don't know what ya got till it's gone. Thank you Robin.

#127 3 years ago

Thanks Robin !! Glad to have Pinside back !!

Got caught up on what is happening over at an old friend - I have only visited sporadically the last years since getting hooked on Pinside -
    (rec games pinball) Known to us pinball vets as RGP......over at Google Groups................... not even anything happened to break out the popcorn. )

#128 3 years ago

Ya! Finally able to get Pinside again. Thanks Robin, and Pinside family's hard work.

#129 3 years ago

Another happy camper that Pinside is back. It has helped me these past few months with all kinds of content on how to rebuild, repair, and mod my first Pinball. I was at a loss when it was not up. But I managed to rebuild my pop bumpers with hints that I had down loaded from VID before the meltdown.

THANKS ROBIN....

#130 3 years ago

Glad you're back, Robin! In the interim, I sold a machine on Pinside and have donated so that you can help pay for that new server.

Now...why the hell is your data center in the US? That's the real question here...

#131 3 years ago

I’ve found purpose again.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

[quoted image]

You're idea of keeping it "real" is to pretend like you deserve compensation while Robin has been working tirelessly the past few days to get pinside back online. It's honestly amazing they were able to get the website up over the weekend for the community. Pinside is here for us pinball nerds to share and make awesome stuff, not for a greedy guy to demand compensation because he missed out on some money.

#133 3 years ago

Thank you Robin for all your hard work in getting the everything back up. The service this site provides with the info and forum is irreplaceable. Thank you for your commitment to the community. So glad that you are back.

#134 3 years ago

It seems shinier! It’s like a playfield cleaned and waxed! Great work Robin! A power surge you say? Anybody seen Odin lately?

#135 3 years ago

Glad to be back reading and lurking pinside again. Anyone remember how often rec games pinball used to go down all the time? There were all those back up alternative and sketchy sites and news feeds back in those days. Then after a few hours it would magically come back. Good times.

#137 3 years ago

Thank You! Hope you all played some pinball the last few days!

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

So nice to see the server and everyone else back....................................................well almost everyone.............................

Thanks Robin!!!!!!!

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

So nice to see the server and everyone else back....................................................well almost everyone.............................
    Thanks Robin!!!!!!!

There's always that "One person"....

#140 3 years ago

Thanks robin for all you do for the hobby, it was scary to think "what if Pinside never came back?" The thought made me shutter.

#141 3 years ago

Thanks Robin and all those involved behind the scenes, for all your effort in recovering from the site disaster in what would have been a very stressful time - it's great to have Pinside back up and it's clearly already being appreciated around the global as we all get our Pinside fix!!!

Well done!

#142 3 years ago

Thank you for getting back up & running so quickly!

Jason

#143 3 years ago

PLEASE DONATE! I don't mean to be a downer here but I counted about 20 to 25 members in this thread alone that either haven't donated recently or never have. I'm not bragging since I have only donated a few times myself in the 7 years I have been here, but will donate more often now. I know times are not the best for some or most of us at this time, but just a few bucks from the 800 people that are online right now could be huge and help keep Pinside healthy.

I did this recently as I just learned that by becoming a Pinside plus member, you qualify to send pics in your PM messages. So I did just that.

#144 3 years ago

Donation made, happy to support. Thanks Robin for an outstanding forum.

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I can sleep easy. My streak lives!
    [quoted image]

I can’t match the old timers, but where do you find the streak rating?

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

You're idea of keeping it "real" is to pretend like you deserve compensation while Robin has been working tirelessly the past few days to get pinside back online. It's honestly amazing they were able to get the website up over the weekend for the community. Pinside is here for us pinball nerds to share and make awesome stuff, not for a greedy guy to demand compensation because he missed out on some money.

HUH
    [Personal info removed]

WTF RU talking about

You don't even own any pinball games. You're just here to fleece the community with your overpriced crap. You were going to retire from selling us crap back in 2014. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-to-retire-from-pinball-inc-ramp-manufacturing-its-been-a-blast but you're still selling it here?

#147 3 years ago

robin For the last couple of days I count sleep well. (no pinside). It was like that tv cop “inspector sledge hammer” he once lost his gun and count sleep well.Lol Robin please next time make sure Batman is in for the help Just kidding. Thank you. Me may have to donate a little extra so we’re prepare for any eventuality just in case.

#148 3 years ago
    B4EC046D-B13A-4FFE-8F23-3C245F7AE44F (resized).pngB4EC046D-B13A-4FFE-8F23-3C245F7AE44F (resized).png
    #149 3 years ago

Thanks for getting this back up and running. I have worked in IT for 30 years now and have experienced my fair share of nightmares. Never fun. I know the stress and long hours to fix something like this. Thank you.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

You must be the one complaining all over PACA on Facebook. Settle down guy.

There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/back-after-a-major-outage/page/3?hl=dashv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.