Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by djblouw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bacardi.jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Perhaps the biggest topic NOT being discussed on PINSIDE right now is Bacardi Pinball by Heighway. Bacardi is the largest privately held drink company in the world with over $5B in annual sales. Thats 50x more than the entire pinball industry combined. And this company, this BILLION dollar company, comes to HEIGHWAY of all people (after reportedly being let down by a bigger, more established company) and agrees to their price. Thus, in 4 months time 251 games were designed, built, boxed and shipped by Heighway.

What kind of influx of cash can 250 game paid up front give a company of less than 20 employees? Well for starters they just upped the size of their facility to 40k+sqft which is 3X larger than before.

This is proof that if their is money, there is a way. They went from not even having a design to having 250 games shipped in 4 months flat. This is even more impressive when you consider that this is actually Heighways first ever mass manufactured title.

As for the game itself little is known about it except that it exists. We were told that PINBALL NEWS has information but it is on EMBARGO for 1-3 months until the games are revealed to the public, presumably in bars as a part of a global marketing initiative. 2/3 of the 251 games are said to be coming to the United States.

While the game is likely a stripped down basic marketing tool of a machine, its still beyond impressive that a company like Bacardi would choose a company like Heighway in the first place, and that they could meet the order from design to shipment in a matter of months.

In my opinion, this is one of the most interesting topics not being discussed on pinside at the moment.

bacardi.jpgbacardi.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Hard to discus something without seeing any pictures
    Also pointless to discus as we cannot buy the game

I am sure that when the games are place on location, or given away as prizes, the discussionwill start up

#3 9 years ago

I don't think it's pointless at all. We are talking numbers and marketing tactics and producton time tables.

#4 9 years ago

This is supposed to be a 2 player cuban pinball machine to promote a new bacardi liquor entitled Cuba Libre. This was from May 2014 bar magazine....

"It will feature an interactive Release the Bats game which will build energy in the bar, offering consumers the chance to win exclusive on-the-spot Bacardi prizes by playing a unique two-player Cuban pinball game."

http://barmagazine.co.uk/new-bacardi-campaign-champions-cuba-libre/

You are right though, there are no pics and no information leaked on this game, yet.

#5 9 years ago

Thats huge! Thanks for posting. Its certainly tells you they can ramp up and bang out games.

#6 9 years ago

When this mystery project was announced, I was happy Heighway got an infusion of cash, and expertise running their line before their first actual game.

I asked Andrew about it once and he was really proud of the final product, and they made sure very little QC problems. I think he told me of the entire run there was only 1 or 2 minor things that needed attention after the customer received it.

#7 9 years ago

I cant buy any machines (as of now) so therefore 90% of Pinside drama and threads are pointless to me *rolleyes*

I find this pretty cool and felt very excited as I read this as I know Heighway's claim is to bring pinball to the public...until I read 2/3 are shipping to you US chaps sigh.
    Not that I don't think that's an obvious move or unwarranted but was hoping to find some in this dry pin desert of a country.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

after reportedly being let down by a bigger, more established company

good to see a bigger company allowing a small company to become a big company!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This was from May 2014 bar magazine....

"It will feature an interactive Release the Bats game which will build energy in the bar, offering consumers the chance to win exclusive on-the-spot Bacardi prizes by playing a unique two-player Cuban pinball game."

What is "Cuban pinball," besides my new favorite euphemism?

#10 9 years ago

It's only a promo item, no flippers.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from mufcmufc:

It's only a promo item, no flippers.

In the live presentation he did show photos of a backbox and shipping crates... he also said it was a "1930's style" which presumably means its a very, very, very retro pinball machine... like... no flippers at all. Little is known.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

In the live presentation he did show photos of a backbox and shipping crates... he also said it was a "1930's style" which presumably means its a very, very, very retro pinball machine... like... no flippers at all. Little is known.

Two plungers - think Joust

#13 9 years ago

I've been drinking Bacardi for 25 years. I think they owe me one free play.

#14 9 years ago

Based on the pic behind the panel, it looks like a normal pin to me, but that could just be a promo pic for décor.

#15 9 years ago

I believe Andrew compared it to Baffle Ball. Great if it made them decent money but has little in common with future machines other than it shoots a ball.

#16 9 years ago

It was definitely a "joust" style game. I was sitting in the second row and Andrew had a picture of the game itself on the screen for a brief moment. It had a Bacardi "billboard" in the middle. I did not notice if it had flipper bats or buttons.

As you can see in the photos, it was much thinner than a traditional pinball machine. 140 are going to the US.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from KerryD:

Based on the pic behind the panel, it looks like a normal pin to me, but that could just be a promo pic for décor.

That was just part of the decor at EXPO.

#18 9 years ago

Thanks for the info Back Flipper, A new joust like pin floating around would be cool.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

It was definitely a "joust" style game. I was sitting in the second row and Andrew had a picture of the game itself on the screen for a brief moment. It had a Bacardi "billboard" in the middle. I did not notice if it had flipper bats or buttons.
    As you can see in the photos, it was much thinner than a traditional pinball machine. 140 are going to the US.

Can I debunk whatever myth this is becoming!! I've seen it, it is not a pin, it is a promo game using 'some' traditional pinball parts.

Quoted from jungle:

I believe Andrew compared it to Baffle Ball. Great if it made them decent money but has little in common with future machines other than it shoots a ball.

Jungle is right, Baffle ball is the basis of it, I Hope that clears up any confusion

#20 9 years ago

Its funny how things go in loops, I think this is the first Pinball machine to have "Gambling" as its main feature since pre 60's Bingo machines, I'm pretty speechless

#21 9 years ago

We are very proud of the final product that we produced and we had feedback that the President of bacardi loved it as well.

251 games delivered globally and 5 months later, the games are still working perfectly on location

This was a very interesting project because there were many problems to overcome. For example, we used state-of-the-art vacuum forming processes and distorted art printing - and this took many attempts to get right

We look forward to sharing more information about this with you in the future

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We are very proud of the final product that we produced and we had feedback that the President of bacardi loved it as well.
    251 games delivered globally and 5 months later, the games are still working perfectly on location
    This was a very interesting project because there were many problems to overcome. For example, we used state-of-the-art vacuum forming processes and distorted art printing - and this took many attempts to get right
    We look forward to sharing more information about this with you in the future

Now I am a little confused, the OP inferred they had not been revealed, but this says they have been on location for several months....? Maybe I just need more coffee. At any rate, I am still looking forward to seeing whatever this is (joust like, not joust like, released, not released).

#23 9 years ago

Kewl. A location map to where they are in the U.S. would be useful

#24 9 years ago

Seek and you shall find. I think this is it!!!!

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

» YouTube video

Good score!

People are having fun with it. Bacardi must be happy.

#26 9 years ago

man, i'm gonna have to get Aliens when its released.

#27 9 years ago

I've never even heard of this but I'd like to try it. Has anyone found one in the wild?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

I've never even heard of this but I'd like to try it. Has anyone found one in the wild?

Not that I have heard of.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

» YouTube video

That must be it!!!!

#30 9 years ago

that girl was wayyyy too excited about that game

#32 9 years ago

if someone is close by to Johnny Mac's House of Spirit maybe it is still there....

They refer to it as a Baffle Ball

208 Main St, Asbury Park, NJ 07712, United States

#33 9 years ago

Letting drunks actually pull the balls out of the machine might be the greatest thing ever.

1 month later
    #34 9 years ago

Has anyone seen one of these in person yet? Feedback on quality of build, etc...?

8 months later
    #35 8 years ago

http://heighwaypinball.com/product/bacardi-baffle-ball-game/

I see you can put down a £400 deposit on one of these now... anyone have more detail?

#36 8 years ago

There was one on craigslist by me a month or so ago. I think it was only around $300. Someone bought it. Would be fun in a large game room but not for 1400 pounds.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Thats 50x more than the entire pinball industry combined. And this company, this BILLION dollar company, comes to HEIGHWAY of all people (after reportedly being let down by a bigger, more established company) and agrees to their price.

Maybe you can lobby said bigger, established company to produce an actual modern Bacardi pinball machine for this BILLION dollar company now. Zidware is still making games, right?

#38 8 years ago

If I had a big gameroom I'd love to have a little collection of more "oddball" games like that. A Scoregasm too. Think about it, these are really interesting artifacts of our era. Modern builds of truly old school objects. That's a rarity. Plus get a bunch of intoxicated adults around some crazy ball rolling games and it's bound to be great.

Of course the Bacardi panels would come right off to be replaced by new laser cut PETG.

How sweet would one of those games rethemed be? What if it had tiki themed sides instead for instance? Or arduino controlled RGB LED strips playing a pulsing fire pattern lighting up laser cut torch flames.

#39 8 years ago

What's funny to me is that I didn't even realize until I watched that YouTube video of it but I'm sure I saw one in the wild last time I was in Asbury Park but from ten feet away thought it was something gambling related and I don't gamble so I kept on walking. We crawled down the boardwalk after the Primus show in between stops at Silverball. I get the impression the town's made a real comeback in the past decade but only been down a few times myself so I couldn't say.

#40 8 years ago

As someone from the Bay Area I love that Primus is still touring!

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If I had a big gameroom I'd love to have a little collection of more "oddball" games like that. A Scoregasm too. Think about it, these are really interesting artifacts of our era. Modern builds of truly old school objects. That's a rarity. Plus get a bunch of intoxicated adults around some crazy ball rolling games and it's bound to be great.
    Of course the Bacardi panels would come right off to be replaced by new laser cut PETG.
    How sweet would one of those games rethemed be? What if it had tiki themed sides instead for instance? Or arduino controlled RGB LED strips playing a pulsing fire pattern lighting up laser cut torch flames.

I'm toying w the idea of getting one...will fit great in the main game room close to fooseball table (?)...looks well made ( table part), just curious how to play the damn thing, or probably live as a cool collectible...

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

As someone from the Bay Area I love that Primus is still touring!

Me too, been a fan since forever. Pretty sure I shoplifted their first tape at the mall when I was in jr. high but have more than made up for it since then. They're one of the few bands I try not to miss when they come through.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm toying w the idea of getting one...will fit great in the main game room close to fooseball table (?)...looks well made ( table part), just curious how to play the damn thing, or probably live as a cool collectible...

From what I've gathered you manually drop balls in on your side and plunge them back out, aiming to get them into the opposite orbit in hopes that they will collect in the cup in the middle. Winner is the first to get 5 of the 16 balls into their opponents cup. There are some places where the ball can exit for you or your opponent to put back in play but I haven't figured that part out yet. Manual lever drops the balls in the score cup to reset for a new game. LEDs are powered by a battery pack so it doesn't need plugged in. Game works without the battery or you can swap the pack out with a spare if you're not tired of playing after ~8 hours.

If I'd seen that one on CL for $300, I would have been hard pressed not to grab it. Impractical as hell but...

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Me too, been a fan since forever. Pretty sure I shoplifted their first tape at the mall when I was in jr. high but have more than made up for it since then. They're one of the few bands I try not to miss when they come through.

Haha nice. I was going into high school when Sailing the Seas of Cheese came out, and they were a big deal in the Bay Area at the time. Last album I listened to was Pork Soda, lost track of them after that.

#46 8 years ago

Forgot all about this thread. Still waiting for my free game!! Come on Bacardi, I was 185th at Pinburgh! Where's my sponsorship??

Quoted from PinballKen:

I've been drinking Bacardi for 25 years. I think they owe me one free play.

7 months later
    #47 8 years ago

I just obtained a brand new one of these games. It is a great drinking game. Must have two to play. I will be bringing it to pinfest

4 years later
    #48 3 years ago

So, is anybody still having this game?
    Lastability?

Quality over time? Issues?

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

So, is anybody still having this game?
    Lastability?
    Quality over time? Issues?

I'd be interested in one of any exist...

#50 3 years ago

I own one, had it for a maybe 2 or 3 years now? It's the perfect size for the entryway into my arcade, and the kids like enjoy it; so it's stuck around. I got it with a large scratch in the top plexi, so working currently to repro that. Also was missing the 2 cup holders, but they're just poker table style holders so will order them eventually.

I got it in the box with the manual and patch (giveaway item for the public promo). Overall it's still in great shape, battery is still going strong.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bacardi-pinball-by-heighway-mystery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.