20141024013518878.jpg
20141024010731094-circled.jpg
20141024013507730.jpg
baby pacman mpu-to-vidiot communications test chart-736.jpg
299978.jpg
image-600.jpg
20141010192803755.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm trying to Bring a Baby Pacman back to life. I just managed to repair the MPU, thanks to various suggestions here on the forums.

So, the vidiot board boots, the MPU boots, and there is a light show on the playfield. On the monitor, I can display a bar test and display a communication test. However, the two columns of numbers do not match up. Do these numbers actually provide any useful information?

I looked at the W-1282 cabinet diagram and did continuity tests between the vidiot's J1 connector and to wherever those connections ended up (J1 and J2 on the MPU). All that was successful--there were no dead or disconnected wires.

Then, I tested pin connectivity between the connector and the pins on the boards (vJ1, A4J1, and A4J2). All those connectors made contact with their pins.

So--is there something I should try or test for next?

Thanks

20141010192803755.jpg20141010192803755.jpg299978.jpg299978.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I'm sure someone will chime in on here before Monday, but if you don't get the answers you need, PM me on Monday and i'll check my Baby Pac.

#3 9 years ago

I'll be back at my game on Sunday, but if I recall, the numbers are sending, but there's nothing on your monitor in the receive column. The tests are numbered.

Your machine is sending data, but not receiving. Check your connectors, I think, between the mpu and the vidiot.

Does the game boot to attract mode? Do the coils fire after the bloopy slow tones at boot? I can record a little video for you if that would help, but again, I'm out of town till Sunday.

-Nick

#4 9 years ago

I am not familiar with the vidiot board, but if all connectors are are good. Check the ICs the signals input to on the vidiot board. There is usually a buffer, inverter, etc right after the signal input. Look for good inputs and outputs on the first ICs getting an input.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I'll be back at my game on Sunday, but if I recall, the numbers are sending, but there's nothing on your monitor in the receive column. The tests are numbered.
Your machine is sending data, but not receiving. Check your connectors, I think, between the mpu and the vidiot.
Does the game boot to attract mode? Do the coils fire after the bloopy slow tones at boot? I can record a little video for you if that would help, but again, I'm out of town till Sunday.
-Nick

I've checked the vidiot J1 connector, and the MPU J2 and J3 connectors. I didn't come up with anything amiss, which is why I'm scratching my head on the issue. I was hoping there would be some sort of chart available that listed what the communication test numbers mean. All I understand from them right now is what the "good" reading is (01,02,04,08,10,20,40,80), and anything else is "bad".

The game boots to attract mode, and the playfield gives a light show. The startup sound plays, and if I press the sound test button, that also plays. I can also cycle through the service modes with the service button on the coin door.

The coils fire when the game starts up, but they blow the 1amp fuse on the playfield--but that's a separate issue I need to work on (unless you think that should come first?)

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've checked the vidiot J1 connector, and the MPU J2 and J3 connectors. I didn't come up with anything amiss, which is why I'm scratching my head on the issue. I was hoping there would be some sort of chart available that listed what the communication test numbers mean. All I understand from them right now is what the "good" reading is, and anything else is "bad".
The game boots to attract mode, and the playfield gives a light show. The startup sound plays, and if I press the sound test button, that also plays. I can also cycle through the service modes with the service button on the coin door.
The coils fire when the game starts up, but they blow the 1amp fuse on the playfield--but that's a separate issue I need to work on (unless you think that should come first?)

Sounds to me like the entire game works until you blow the fuse when pressing the start button, what else is not working? I would find out which coil is causing the fuse to blow. Is the fuse blowing during the solenoid test? Which coils activate at start-up? I think the drop target reset, then the drop target knockdown for whichever side the captive ball is on, then the outhole saucer.

#7 9 years ago

Here's what mine shows. image-600.jpgimage-600.jpg

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Sounds to me like the entire game works until you blow the fuse when pressing the start button, what else is not working? I would find out which coil is causing the fuse to blow. Is the fuse blowing during the solenoid test? Which coils activate at start-up? I think the drop target reset, then the drop target knockdown for whichever side the captive ball is on, then the outhole saucer.

I don't actually press start--all I'm doing is turning on the power.

However, I didn't try putting in a new fuse since after repairing the MPU.

I turned it on with a new fuse and it seemed to power up without blowing the solenoid fuse on the playfield. On startup, the two saucer kickers near the top of the playfield kicked on. None of the other solenoids triggered. I don't have any balls on the playfield at the moment.

[edit]: I went through the solenoid test. It looks like all the solenoids on the test were energized one by one successfully without blowing the fuse. I'm guessing the problem was somehow related to the MPU with its broken/crossed traces at the time?

So, it looks like the MPU/vidiot communication issue is next on the menu.

#9 9 years ago

When you turn Baby Pac on, if the ball is in one of the saucers (senses one of the saucer switches closed, it will kick out the ball to go in the outhole. It will even do this if you put a ball in each saucer. It will not do this if there is a ball missing from the table.

When you start a game, the five bank drop targets reset then the target in front of the captive ball is dropped exposing the ball. If Baby Pac is confused about switches, you can get erratic behavior and communications errors between the MPU and Vidiot. You can remove the connector for the switches from the MPU and see if the communications test clears up. If it does, you have a connector/switch/wiring problem. If not, you have an interboard connection issue.

viperrwk

#10 9 years ago

The switch target solenoids do not fire on startup. Only the upper saucers do. Putting a ball in the outhole saucer doesn't seem to change anything. However, all the switch target solenoids fire one at a time when going though the solenoid test cycle. Unplugging A4J2 on the mpu does not make the drop target solenoids fire on startup.

No luck with the communication tests. Unplugging A4J2 on the mpu yields a blank communication test screen (no numbers appear).

Unplugging A4J1 on the mpu prevents me from bringing up a communication test.

Unplugging J1, J2, and J3 on the driver board does not affect the communication issue.

#11 9 years ago

One other thing - make sure you do not close the control panel with the lockbar open - this will short the joysitck switches and cause communications test errors.

If the MPU and Vidiot are not communicating correctly, the solenoids will not behave normally in game since interboard communications and switches are tied together. Have to check and verify all the headers/connectors on the Vidiot. You may also have a bad PIA on the Vidiot at U7.

viperrwk

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

One other thing - make sure you do not close the control panel with the lockbar open - this will short the joysitck switches and cause communications test errors.
If the MPU and Vidiot are not communicating correctly, the solenoids will not behave normally in game since interboard communications and switches are tied together. Have to check and verify all the headers/connectors on the Vidiot. You may also have a bad PIA on the Vidiot at U7.
viperrwk

The lockbar didn't appear to be shorting anything--open or closed.

As long as the drop targets were up, there were no closed switches in the switch test. Testing each switch one at a time registered the correct switch. The 4 flipper buttons did not register during the switch test (they are not listed on the switch test chart in the manual).

I replaced the U7 PIA, but there was no change.

#13 9 years ago

Have you counted the flashes on the vidiot board?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Have you counted the flashes on the vidiot board?

Yes, the vidiot board gives all 10 flashes. It produces sound. The video test button displays the color bars screen. The diagnostic button on the coin door displays the diagnostic test screens.

Does anyone know what the communication test numbers mean? Do they correspond to anything? certain pins on connectors, perhaps?

1 week later
#15 9 years ago

Woohoo, got it working!!

Long story short, the cables/contacts were fine. The problem was that there was a broken trace on the vidiot board off of U1 on pin 13. Once I repaired that, the game booted up.

During the course of checking and triple checking connectivity, I put together this chart and ended up figuring out with reasonable certainty what the communications test columns and numbers corresponded to.

baby pacman mpu-to-vidiot communications test chart-736.jpgbaby pacman mpu-to-vidiot communications test chart-736.jpg

Under the Vidiot/MPU columns, I notated which connectors and pins were used for communication. Also, the corresponding resistors ("R") on the boards, so you could test continuity from the wire, through the connector, and onto the board.

As for my particular problem, here's where the problem was:20141024010642973-circled.jpg20141024010642973-circled.jpg

It was easier to see when held up to a light:20141024010731094-circled.jpg20141024010731094-circled.jpg

The repair:20141024011709836-circled.jpg20141024011709836-circled.jpg

And the game up and running 20141024013507730.jpg20141024013507730.jpg20141024013518878.jpg20141024013518878.jpg

There's still a number of things that need to be fixed, but I'm thinking those will be fairly straight forward now that these difficult problems are out of the way and the game is now actually fully booting

#16 9 years ago

Well done. Great game, the Pacman is brutal. Takes lots of practice. But very addicting once you start getting better.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well done. Great game, the Pacman is brutal. Takes lots of practice. But very addicting once you start getting better.

So far, I've only made it to the second map. The ghosts on this machine sure do move faster and act "smarter" than on other pacman arcade games I've played in the past.

#18 9 years ago

Atta boy, nice work!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

So far, I've only made it to the second map. The ghosts on this machine sure do move faster and act "smarter" than on other pacman arcade games I've played in the past.

Blue will only follow you. The rest like to do a lot a doubling back and changing directions. The only ghost that is faster than u is red. Outside of that, just try and use the pacscallator as much as possible and stay on the early maps as much as you can. It gets way hard after maps 4,5 and 6.

Enjoy

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Blue will only follow you. The rest like to do a lot a doubling back and changing directions. The only ghost that is faster than u is red. Outside of that, just try and use the pacscallator as much as possible and stay on the early maps as much as you can. It gets way hard after maps 4,5 and 6.
Enjoy

Cool, thanks for the tips

2 weeks later
#21 9 years ago

Can someone help..i have a baby pacman. And i am getting 12v+ on all tp on the vidiot board. Where should i start first. The power module seem to check out ok and i have all plugs unplugged but the J3, even the other boards are unplugged, please help me

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-vidiot-mpu-communication-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.