Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170616_124455 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Game booted once, but on my second try does not start up. Has a new rottendog rectifier board, and altek CPU. I get the PacMan test music, but nothing on the screen. When I press the SW1 test switch I get the color bars on the monitor. The altek CPU shows me I think 3 LED flashes.

The Rectifier board is showing power to only 2 LEDs.

20170616_124455 (resized).jpg20170616_124455 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Likely not related to current game issues, but a good idea to scrape away some of the paper label where that green-yellow ground wire is supposed to be well connected to a metal plate (visible to the right). One of my Baby-Pacs came in with those wires in a charred mess.

IPDB.org has some manuals for Baby Pac if you need one. The game probably does not use all of the voltages on that rectifier board. The old cpu nicad battery goo may have dropped onto the Vidiot. Look for typical bad sockets on the Vidiot, and crusty connector issues everywhere (corrosion, cracked headers, bad sockets, all the usual suspects).

#3 6 years ago

Alltek board is only giving 3 or 4 flashes.

#4 6 years ago

Can you boot the alltek on the bench or test it in another game?

#5 6 years ago

Double check the under playfield fuses. I was able to get color bars but not boot game when I had fuses out. You should repin those connectors on the power board...

The one thing I hate is every Baby Pac troubleshooting advice starts with re pinning connectors - but truthfully it is hard to rule things out with the old ones. Honestly the fact that it booted once and not again tells me connectors may be the cause.

I'm close to you if you want to test your boards. I bought a game from you a couple years ago. (Then again hasn't everyone?).

#6 6 years ago

OK replaced the 43v Fuse under the playfield even though fuse tested good with meter. Game worked once. Game is doing same thing fuse tests fine. I have tested voltage at the 43v fuse both sides have the correct reading. However at the Alltek test point it does NOT have voltage for 43v. Also the other 2 fuses under the playfield have no voltage. Not sure if that's an issue yet or not.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

OK replaced the 43v Fuse under the playfield even though fuse tested good with meter. Game worked once. Game is doing same thing fuse tests fine. I have tested voltage at the 43v fuse both sides have the correct reading. However at the Alltek test point it does NOT have voltage for 43v. Also the other 2 fuses under the playfield have no voltage. Not sure if that's an issue yet or not.

Have you tried cleaning the fuse block under the playfield? On my baby pac the 43v fuse was testing fine, however testing at the wires leading to the fuse block was intermittent. Turns out the fuse block itself just got dirty over the years. I had to pop out all the fuses, clean the fuse block with alcohol, put the fuses all back and then it all worked fine.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Have you tried cleaning the fuse block under the playfield? On my baby pac the 43v fuse was testing fine, however testing at the wires leading to the fuse block was intermittent. Turns out the fuse block itself just got dirty over the years. I had to pop out all the fuses, clean the fuse block with alcohol, put the fuses all back and then it all worked fine.

While you are cleaning the fuse clips, also check them to ensure they still have "spring" and clamp the fuse tightly. They lose their "spring" over time. Gently push each arm of the fuse clip in and out to test their spring. They should not bend and stay in position.

#9 6 years ago

the clips are very clean, and tight. I have 43v on each side of the fuse.

#10 6 years ago

Hmm, well check this page if you haven't seen it:

http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/babypac.htm

It's a treasure trove of info for this game. The only other thing that worked for me for an intermittent booting game was reseating the chips on the vidiot board. As someone else mention, the molex connectors can be a weakpoint and cause intermittent issues as well.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Hmm, well check this page if you haven't seen it:
http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/babypac.htm
It's a treasure trove of info for this game. The only other thing that worked for me for an intermittent booting game was reseating the chips on the vidiot board. As someone else mention, the molex connectors can be a weakpoint and cause intermittent issues as well.

My main intermittent issue (which molex replacement fixed) was that the game would come on and the music would play - the the solenoids would not fire (which they do one time on boot up). Reseating the connectors on the solenoid board would get it to boot (after a try or two).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-not-booting?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.