Baby pacman communication problem.

By pinballman3

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I got a baby pacman at a good price. I am trying to get it up and running. When I boot the machine I get 6 flashes on the mpu board. Also get 10 flashes on the vidiot board. When I press the test button for communication test I should get.

01 01
02 02
04 04
08 08
10 10
20 20
40 40
80 80
But mine shows

01 01
02 02
04 04
08 00
10 00
20 00
40 00
80 00
Does anyone know what would be wrong to not have the correct numbers? The game wont start and have no video unless I go into test mode. Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Hi. Have you looked at the pin repair site for Baby Pac yet? It talks about this problem and says molex connectors are usually the issue.
www.pinrepair.com/bally/babypac.htm

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I could order the molex connectors for this game.

#4 9 years ago

The J1 connectors on the MPU and Vidiot are 28 pin wafer connectors and J2 on the MPU are 15 pin.

I would think Steve Young at the PBR might have those header pins, or Marco Specialties has connector rebuild kits that come with like J1, J2, etc pieces, or even Mouser electronics should have them.

#5 9 years ago

The 28 pin .100 plug used is no longer manufactured by Molex. The one place I know that has stock of this plug is Ed at Great Plains. Once anyone who has it in stock runs out that will be the end of it.

Also to the OP one trick to try is while the communication test is running, press down gently on the U11 PIA on the MPU board and have someone observe the screen to see if the numbers on the monitor change in any way. If they do you probably have battery corrosion under the socket which will need to be mitigated.

viperrwk

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I wont be able to mess with it anymore until monday. I will update when I can.

#8 9 years ago

Update. I got the game communicating. I can play a game on it. It was the wires at connector j2 on the mpu. Now the issue is the drop targets. I have to work on them some now.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Update. I got the game communicating. I can play a game on it. It was the wires at connector j2 on the mpu. Now the issue is the drop targets. I have to work on them some now.

What's the issue with the drops specifically?

viperrwk

#10 9 years ago

The far left drop wont stay up at all every time they reset it drops back down. The middle one drops on its own sometimes. All of them seem to score right except for the far left one that drops all the time.

#11 9 years ago

The drop target with the captive ball behind it will always drop. Is the captive ball behind the left target? If the captive ball is behind the right target does the right one stay down?

#12 9 years ago

The middle one is on a timer. each time you start pinball, hit the captive ball across, or hit a yellow drop target, the drop targets reset and the timer is reset. If you do not hit any drop targets or the captive ball before the timer runs out, the blue target in the middle will drop down on it's own. The timer gets shorter and shorter as you gain green arrows leading up to an extra baby. if you look closely on the playfield, each arrow says how long the timer lasts with that particular arrow lit.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks for th ed replies. Should the first third and fifth switch on the drop targets always be closed. Mine are and the 2nd and 4th the switches are open.

#14 9 years ago

Ok I have another problem. I got a really nice playfield. I switched some stuff out on it. When I went to put it in it has a different plug. Where there was a 24 plug this new board has a 15 plug. Is there an easy work around without having to go all the way back to the playfield and undo and reconnect the old plug wires. Does anyone know right off hand if the wires can be matched up at the two plugs. Thanks

#15 9 years ago

Everything else on this playfield is the same except the connector. Bulb sockets and all are the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-communication-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.