IMG_5552.jpeg
IMG_5549.jpeg
IMG_5548.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5545.jpeg
IMG_5544.jpeg
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_8001 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brado426.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#572 5 years ago

Hello... Huge Baby Pacman fan here.

Here is my Baby Pacman 100% controlled by PinMAME $100 worth of boards from Ultimarc.com and a custom driver board I built. Thought you guys might be interested. I modified the PinMAME source to allow it to control the Ultimate IO board. The solenoids will be triggered by an Ultimarc PacDrive board, which will connect to the custom solenoid board. I found there was a problem controlling the solenoids directly from the Ultimate IO, so I am changing that.

Here's some videos:

Ian demonstrating Baby Pacman game play:

Building the custom solenoid driver board:

Testing the custom solenoid driver board for the first time:

This may be the most reliable Baby Pacman machine in existence!

I'm happy to share additional info and source code if anyone is interested.

Later,

Brad O.

#574 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Wow, what an impressive first post! Welcome to the club!
That’s an incredible feat and you sir, have problem just saved a good many Baby Pac’s out there! Now there is an option, albeit very involved, that allows one to remove the god-awful Vidiot board, as well as circumvent the terribad connectors that cause nearly all the faults! It’s wonderful!

Thank you! Yes, part of the reason for my post is to potentially save any Baby Pacman machines out there whose hardware is beyond repair. I believe someone stole the hardware out of my cabinet to fix another Baby Pacman. The total cost is around $200 - $300 plus a whole bunch of labor.

#576 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Let me know when you start selling this product so that’s in plug and play. I’m in.

This will never happen... at least not by me. That will have to be done by someone who is willing to do the incredible amount of work considering that such a thing would probably only sell only 3 or 4 units.

Later,

Brad O.

#577 5 years ago

I believe I have things reliable now (time will tell). We now control the solenoids with a PacDrive connected to the solenoid driver board and use the Ultimate IO for the input switches and lamps only. Here is a video of it working:

Here is the PinMAME source code and binary in case you want to try it out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11yR_5iEpzpEu8L9Ha3rqGrFYzyIKvDN2/view?usp=sharing

Brad

#578 5 years ago

Here's a correct link for the source code for PinMAME that controls the UltimateIO and PacDrive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EyDWgv-UfC4jja8hEGW0aS-xFOJwkXUp/view?usp=sharing

2 years later
#821 3 years ago

Baby Pac-Man happens to be the exception among Bally’s and you don’t have to do anything special to use LEDs. They just work! I prefer Comet but PL LEDs are fine too.
It’s a great game. I would highly suggest changing the rules to “carries over arrow memory” from ball to ball. And also make sure that your life doesn’t end when the ball drains. And only 3 lives!
The “extra baby” arrow memory feature improved the game for me immensely.

I think the default is that energizer memory is off while center arrows memory is on. I reverse that so center memory is off and energizer memory is on. It makes it more likely that the player can actually use their energizers decreasing the frustration there, but making it more difficult to get an extra ball... and provides motivation not to lose your ball to see the center arrows reset. To me, these are the perfect settings. I think when I played in the arcade when I was a kid, the energizer memory was off, so I'd think I would still want to keep it that way, but just too frustrating to lose energizers after you've worked so hard for them.

3 months later
#853 2 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

normally i like all original but that looks super cool!!! if you end up figuring out the extra things needed I may end up copying you

Every time I do something non-original like that thinking it is cool, I end up hating it and having to revert it back to original later... so now I just don't do that anymore. I agree it does look cool though.

1 year later
#900 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Baby pacman people need your help. Had to move my machine into a storage container. Just got it out and it booted right up thank God! But all 5 of the targets at the top all keep going up and down over and over again whether I'm in pinball mode or arcade mode non stop. I've done everything I know how to do which is remove all the connectors and plug them back in on all the boards on the back ha ha. What should I try next to fix this problem?

Test the left target (1) switch and the right target (5) switch. If those aren't registering properly, it can cause the target to repeatedly reset.

#902 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

and how does one test those? Is that something that's fairly easy to explain or should I be doing some googling?

Go into Service mode.... there's a button in the coin door. Press it until you get to the SWITCH TEST. There, you can test to make sure your switches are working properly. If the left or right drop target switch is stuck on, it can cause the drop targets to reset indefinitely.

#904 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

oh nice! like an arcade game. I was afraid it would be much more pinbally. thank you sir, i will check that out and see.

Most pinball machines have a switch test function too.

#906 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Sent into the service mode and went to switch test and nothing was on, when I pressed joystick to a direction it popped up on the screen but that was pretty much it. Now when I went to solenoid test and it cycled through all the solenoids, 1 of the solenoids made all the top targets tingle, and then the next made the 1st target tingle and so on but target number 2 which I believe is solenoid number 4 nothing happened and then again for solenoid number 6 which is target 4 I believe nothing happened. Does this mean something?

In switch test mode, move Target 1 and 5 up and down by hand. See if they register. For a sanity check, press other switches on the playfield to make sure they register. If Target 1 or 5 don't register, that may be your issue. If the machine detects that target 1 and 5 are up, it will try to lower one of them by resetting the targets and then lowering one.

#912 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

will give this a try sir, thank you. so not solenoid mode? Switch test mode I thought was odd, because the pinball buttons two on top and two on the sides all didnt register as switches, but now that im writing it maybe they arent considered switches at all.

Well, I gave you bad advice.

I just tested on my machine. The flipper buttons do not register in the switch test. The joystick and P1/P2 buttons do register. BUT.... NONE OF THE PLAYFIELD SWITCHES REGISTER. What the heck? And my playfield switches are working fine. That's pretty useless.

Well, you're going to have to test your switches some other way. Of course, you want to test that your solenoids are firing properly in the solenoid test, but your issue really sounds like a target 1 or 5 switch issue to me. I'd look under the playfield and physically inspect your target 1 and 5 switches and see if you can see any problem there. You can do a continuity check with a meter with the machine off to make sure the two lugs on the switch are connecting properly as you move the targets up and down.

#914 1 year ago

You can get an assortment on Amazon for $11. I don't think they sell individual clips... but you only need one.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-50455A-Assortment-Treated-Retaining/dp/B000K7GRDW/ref=sr_1_4_mod_primary_new

1 month later
#926 1 year ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

I moved my baby pacman and now the coloring is all wrong. There's really no yellow and no blue. The ghosts are all red and green and everything is basically red ish and greenish, I can add a picture later but I don't think that'll really offer up any needed info. I'm guessing something came loose or needs to be reseated. This happened in the past and after a few plays the correct colors randomly came back. That doesn't seem to be happening this time around. Any ideas?

Sounds like a problem with the cable between the monitor signal cable between your game PCB and monitor. Try wiggling it and see if you can identify which side of the cable the problem exists based on when the picture restores to normal. Another possibility is the PCB connectors... you may need to reflow solder on either the monitor or game PCBs. First, identify the location of the fault... next, identify exactly what in that location is faulting. Since you have two colors going out at once and it is intermittent, I highly doubt the problem is with the neck guns or neck board transistors on the monitor.

2 months later
#966 1 year ago
Quoted from cooperscooter:

Hey all! I've got to ask the club, since my usual Google jujitsu is failing me...
I was at the Chicago Pinball Expo, and the Baby Pac there had a mode where the SIDE tunnel entrances were BLOCKED OFF, which I had not seen before. I have a Baby Pac and either have no idea how to switch this feature, or I am on a different ROM than what I saw at the show.
Can anyone lay out the ROM game differences, or point me to the config to cause that game option?
Thanks!

Just look in the manual:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

3 months later
#995 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

No trouble at all. I don’t have the lid though.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What is that CD jewel-case you have in your coin box?

2 months later
#1060 11 months ago

There are no replacements for the Vidiot. You have to find a board repairman. I don’t see any corrosion on yours. For $300 there is no way you could go wrong buying Baby Pac

Quoted from Sirgubster9:

if you are getting an entire baby pacman cabinet like the whole thing for 300 dollars then wow best deal ever!!!! and I would buy it instantly without even thinking about it. like you said you can get a replacemnt mpu board which is what I did and that works perfectly and then you can find working vidiot boards on ebay and klov every once in a while. last time I looked ebay i believe had 3 of them available all for under 500 bucks which is expensive of course but compared to a baby pacman machine.... 2500 not too shabby or of course there are people who do the repairs as well. I also purchased a power board from someone on klov because I thought mine was dead but it ended up being another issue and that board was a hundred i think. so ya most things can be replaced or repaired and no matter what you will be walking away with a steal my friend!!!!!

There is no reason to trash a Baby Pac cabinet. I got mine for cheap with no boards at all. Installed PinMAME in it and it works better than the original hardware... no dimming when coils fire either. Been running perfectly for 5 years now.

#1062 11 months ago
Quoted from themotherbrain:

^Really?! So I can hook up one of my spare Virtual pin PCs and it works?
I would love to see this explained. This could save alot of games down the road as parts get more scarce. Do you just have it boot the rom?

I posted about it on VPForums back when I did it....

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=41495&hl=brado426#entry421288

#1064 11 months ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

this may be the coolest thing i have ever seen!!!!!!!

Here's a link to the PinMAME-HW software with source code:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N_yPA2iSD-2YO-HDC1EqwdEOLgFFkcSn/view?usp=sharing

To completely replace all Baby Pacman electronics, you need:

1. Ultimarc Ultimate I/O Board for handling input switches and lamps
2. Ultimarc Pac DRIVE board for handling the 9 solenoids.
3. Custom Solenoid Driver board (custom board that drives the 48V to the solenoids) Schematics and Eagle files included.
4. DUPONT patch cables.... lots of them.

This requires that you totally hack the playfield LED and switch wiring. You would need to wire one wire per LED and one wire per switch. This is a major disadvantage of doing this.

This PinMAME also has a hack in it so that the high scores get saved (for Baby Pacman) even if you power off the computer without exiting/shutting down the OS.

To run PinMAME with support for the Ultimate IO and PacDrive, the command line looks like this:

pinmame babypac -ultimateio -joystick -dmd_only -scanlines -skip_gameinfo

Here's a few important notes to consider when doing this project that I learned along the way:

1. Be sure to install the Ultimate IO Gamepad firmware. You should use Gamepad inputs (not keyboard inputs) for all switches that may be constantly on (ie: the outholes and targets) Otherwise, you'll be fighting for keyboard control when trying to perform maintenance.

2. Be sure the PacDrive, Solenoid driver board and Ultimate I/O have a common ground. Otherwise, the coils will not get fired. The PacDrive does not have an output for ground, so just solder a wire to the top of the USB port and connect it to ground. That will fix it.

3. Ensure you never short any switches to any solenoid wires. Do whatever you need to do to ensure they are far away from each other. You will definitely blow out your Ultimate I/O board that way. I blew out a couple before I was done.

4. You can use any Windows PC, but I'm using a little solid-state MINIX box. I'm sure there are better alternatives in 2023.

5. Do NOT attempt to trigger the solenoid driver board with the Ultimate I/O directly. At first, I had the bright idea to just use extra outputs on the Ultimate I/O board to drive the solenoid driver board. This may appear to work at first, but will eventually cause your Ultimate I/O board to fail because of the dimmable LED outputs. Coils do not behave well with dimmable LED outputs.

My son still has the high score... and while I've gotten close... I still can't beat it.

2 weeks later
#1087 10 months ago
Quoted from pinmods:

Also, after all these years has nobody figured out a rom hack to speed up Pac-man in Baby pac?

Why would someone even want that? The game is already hard as heck.

#1094 10 months ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

In my Ms. Pac Man, the speed up make the game easier in my opinion. The Pac Man is sped up but not everything else.
I'd be interested in a ROM hack if it were available for Baby Pac.
Chris

I hate speed hacks. Either they are cheating and make things too easy, or they make things too hard (if the ghosts are as fast as the Pacman).

If you need more speed for Pacman/Ms. Pacman, just play Pacman Plus or Ms. Pacman Plus (hack... not the version in MAME). I think Baby Pacman speed and difficulty are perfect as is.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 months later
#1107 8 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hello amazing Baby Pac Man owners. Currently restoring a machine is terrible condition. The Vidiot Module AS-2518-121 likely could have extensive board work done to make it operational, however if it's even possible, a replacement (something new) would be way better.
Has anybody made a "replacement board"?? Sorry if this question has been asked previously....and thank you in advance for the help and direction you provide.
Eric

The closest thing to a board replacement that currently exist is the project I did with mine awhile back. Still works 100% after 5 years.

To completely replace all Baby Pacman electronics, you need:

1. Ultimarc Ultimate I/O Board for handling input switches and lamps
2. Ultimarc Pac DRIVE board for handling the 9 solenoids.
3. Custom Solenoid Driver board (custom board that drives the 48V to the solenoids) Schematics and Eagle files included.
4. DUPONT patch cables.... lots of them.

This requires that you totally hack the playfield LED and switch wiring. You would need to wire one wire per LED and one wire per switch. This is a major disadvantage of doing this.

This PinMAME also has a hack in it so that the high scores get saved (for Baby Pacman) even if you power off the computer without exiting/shutting down the OS.

To run PinMAME with support for the Ultimate IO and PacDrive, the command line looks like this:

pinmame babypac -ultimateio -joystick -dmd_only -scanlines -skip_gameinfo

Here's a few important notes to consider when doing this project that I learned along the way:

1. Be sure to install the Ultimate IO Gamepad firmware. You should use Gamepad inputs (not keyboard inputs) for all switches that may be constantly on (ie: the outholes and targets) Otherwise, you'll be fighting for keyboard control when trying to perform maintenance.

2. Be sure the PacDrive, Solenoid driver board and Ultimate I/O have a common ground. Otherwise, the coils will not get fired. The PacDrive does not have an output for ground, so just solder a wire to the top of the USB port and connect it to ground. That will fix it.

3. Ensure you never short any switches to any solenoid wires. Do whatever you need to do to ensure they are far away from each other. You will definitely blow out your Ultimate I/O board that way. I blew out a couple before I was done.

4. You can use any Windows PC, but I'm using a little solid-state MINIX box. I'm sure there are better alternatives in 2023.

5. Do NOT attempt to trigger the solenoid driver board with the Ultimate I/O directly. At first, I had the bright idea to just use extra outputs on the Ultimate I/O board to drive the solenoid driver board. This may appear to work at first, but will eventually cause your Ultimate I/O board to fail because of the dimmable LED outputs. Coils do not behave well with dimmable LED outputs.

Here's a link to the software with compiled binary and source code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N_yPA2iSD-2YO-HDC1EqwdEOLgFFkcSn/view?usp=sharing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brado426.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-clubwaka-waka-waka?tu=brado426 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.