IMG_5552.jpeg
IMG_5549.jpeg
IMG_5548.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5545.jpeg
IMG_5544.jpeg
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_8001 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,202 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 25.
#401 6 years ago

I bet the vidiot kit fixes it but I was able to locate my order for the coin door pot. I got it from Marco. 100 ohm 2 Watt

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/XO-199

#402 6 years ago

I have a question if someone can point me in the right direction. My BPM is messing up the initials on the high score. So for example my top score DRW is now reading E.W. and the then next 3 or 4 or correct and the next one is garbled. Possible bad ROM?

#403 6 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

I have a question if someone can point me in the right direction. My BPM is messing up the initials on the high score. So for example my top score DRW is now reading E.W. and the then next 3 or 4 or correct and the next one is garbled. Possible bad ROM?

Either that or video RAM.

You can easily verify the ROMs by comparing the data to the ROM files using an EPROM burner.

If one of those are wrong, erase and re-burn. If they all check out, then look at the RAM.

#404 6 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Could also be the 5101 ram and battery backup system. I've had garbled high scores when the batteries needed attention. If the batteries are good you may want to reset the high scores and see if that works out.

#405 6 years ago

Thank you..

Quoted from bpa:

I bet the vidiot kit fixes it but I was able to locate my order for the coin door pot. I got it from Marco. 100 ohm 2 Watt
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/XO-199

#406 6 years ago

Is there a way to convert baby Pac-Man to jamma? I would like to be able to play the other pacmans or put a 60 in 1 on it..

Note: this is going to be an extra feature using a jamma switcher and is not meant to replace the baby Pac-Man part..

#407 6 years ago

Here’s a tutorial and gameplay video I just recorded. Go over all the rules and my personal strategies for the game. Then we put up some solid scores and even get to the disappearing levels on the last game of the video.

Enjoy!!

#408 6 years ago

Thanks for the gameplay tips. Had lost the highest score to a better Pac-Man player, who was working to finish levels, and then the walls started to disappear. Will add some more fruit to the diet of energizers and dots.

#409 6 years ago

The video chuckwurt posted is excellent. Really helped me get to know the game better and makes me want to buy one.

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from ahmedreda:

Is there a way to convert baby Pac-Man to jamma? I would like to be able to play the other pacmans or put a 60 in 1 on it..
Note: this is going to be an extra feature using a jamma switcher and is not meant to replace the baby Pac-Man part..

It's not even close to being JAMMA compatible, so no, not with a lot of work. You would probably have to have two harnesses and switch back and forth manually between the baby pacman boardset and the 60-in-1 board. When/if you go to sell it, it would probably hurt the value.

I would recommend hunting down a junk/empty arcade cabinet to turn into a 60-in-1 game if you really want something like that.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Could also be the 5101 ram and battery backup system. I've had garbled high scores when the batteries needed attention. If the batteries are good you may want to reset the high scores and see if that works out.

Whether the battery is good or bad you should stick NVRAM in there. This games boards are rare and expensive more so than other pins. Having a battery in it is CRAZY!

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Whether the battery is good or bad you should stick NVRAM in there. This games boards are rare and expensive more so than other pins. Having a battery in it is CRAZY!

Not sure why I never thought about that. I have NVRAM in all my other pins. NVRAM ordered!

#413 6 years ago

Another newbie question, but which NVRAM option do I go with? I don’t really understand the difference between all of them, nor how to install them...

#414 6 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Another newbie question, but which NVRAM option do I go with? I don’t really understand the difference between all of them, nor how to install them...

You want the NVRAM 5101. There is usually an add on the bottom of this forum for it. But here is a link.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1030-pinitech/00316-5101-nvram-battery-eliminator-for-high-score-save

If you have a manual on the MPU, U8 is the chip you will pull and replace with the NVRAM. It is also the chip right next to the batteries.. You just pull the batteries, then the old chip and install the NVRAM. Note the U notch on the chip that is for chip orientation.

They do make a chip pullers and are dirt cheap as well. I find I usually damage them with the puller and use just one side of it and work back and forth.

#415 6 years ago

I don’t really understand the difference between all of them

They normally match up with the part number of the RAM being replaced. 5101, 6116, 6264, etc.

#416 6 years ago

I recently created a PDF to make it easier to figure out what NVRAM is needed..
http://www.pinitech.com/docs/pinball_nvram_game_list.pdf

Look toward the back of the document -- large alphabetical game list that will tell you what NVRAM can be used & if it's Plug-and-Play (easy upgrade) or if soldering is required. On my website I also have Compatibility Charts with board diagrams that highlight the location of the board where the memory is located, rate difficulty of the installs on various boards & some additional notes. Instructions are included with the nvram modules that will help you orient it properly & refer back to the website for board diagram pictures. I've been selling this stuff for years and keep trying to work toward ways of making it easy as possible for people to figure out the type of NVRAM they need & what's involved in upgrading.

Baby Pac-Man is Plug-and-Play as others have mentioned

-Wayne

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
NVRAM, kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#417 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Here’s a tutorial and gameplay video I just recorded. Go over all the rules and my personal strategies for the game. Then we put up some solid scores and even get to the disappearing levels on the last game of the video.
Enjoy!!
» YouTube video

Dude this video inspired me to get my Baby Pac out of storage and try and rack up some points. Hopefully I'll be able to move it this weekend.

#418 6 years ago

Update on the u9 ROM--the missing service bulletin was found, but unfortunately, it did not contain any version history for the ROM.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-a-baby-pacman-vidiot-u9-rom-update-891-16-change#post-4233665

#419 6 years ago

Your question was answered below but I’m glad to see two more people in this thread converted away from the dreaded battery!

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Enjoy!!
» YouTube video

Damn, and I was all happy with my best score of 718,410! So much for that lol.

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Damn, and I was all happy with my best score of 718,410! So much for that lol.

That’s a solid score. I haven’t seen more than a few people get in the millions. But I’m sure we will be getting more hopefully with the help of the tutorial. It’s just a game that not enough people care about to put the time in to get really good at it.

#422 6 years ago

The way to score high is to not shoot direct on the targets but shoot on the slings and use the rebound to drop down the targets.
That way the ball always move from left to right and it's harder to drain.

IMG_6301 (resized).JPGIMG_6301 (resized).JPG

#423 6 years ago

What would be a good price for a project baby Pac in nice shape that plays blind? Are 13" monitors even obtainable these days?

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from kaz1961:

What would be a good price for a project baby Pac in nice shape that plays blind? Are 13" monitors even obtainable these days?

Depends on what the problem is on the monitor it might be fixable. I've watched a few project baby pacs within the last six months sell for 700-800 on ebay. 13" monitors are getting hard to find so I'd troubleshoot what you have before trying to replace it.

#425 6 years ago

Usually the problem is on the vidiot board not the monitor

#426 6 years ago

Have a working vidiot board nice shape for sale. Ebay tomorrow. Or get it now for less.

#427 6 years ago

If it plays blind wouldnt that mean the vidiot is fully booting and not the issue?

#428 6 years ago

The vidiot can fully boot but have the video chip TMS9928 partially bad. This chip is the first cause of failling for this game because of the heat. Better install an heatsink to prevent damage.

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

The vidiot can fully boot but have the video chip TMS9928 partially bad. This chip is the first cause of failling for this game because of the heat. Better install an heatsink to prevent damage.

I’d love a guide on how to install a heatsink & fan mod for the thing

#430 6 years ago

I’d love a guide on how to install a heatsink & fan mod for the thing

Anyone have a link to a fan that will fit well?

#431 6 years ago

Are new monitors available? If so where?

#432 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Are new monitors available? If so where?

I’ve seen NIB 13 inch monitors (including a few stashes of multiple monitors) come up from various private arcade collectors in the last two years and even snagged one myself 2 years ago. Rare but not as rare as a 19” NIB.

The reality is that you can have your chassis repaired and it will likely be more reliable than the NIB monitor with old caps. I do a lot of monitor work (just for myself) and rarely do I see a monitor that needs to be replaced. Out of 25 monitors I’ve seen maybe 2-3 tubes that had to go. The K4900 and G07 variants in the Baby PAC are good monitors. Don’t be quick to replace it. If you need a recommended tech I can recommend a couple.

#433 6 years ago

I have a couple goofy questions about my Baby. I wanted to do a little cleaning and refreshing on it.

1. My insert lights are 555 lights, and if I understand right, this apparently sucks. I don't have the game on every day but I am concerned about heat and longevity. The mylar above the PAC MAN inserts is starting to get... interesting. Not burnt but becoming textured let's say. Are LED lights usable in this game? And since it appears that removing the individual light brackets is pretty much impossible because of the soldering, is the accepted method of replacing the lights done by bending the light brackets for each individual light, pulling the bulb, then bending it back?

2. I have a polarized (?) screen in front of my monitor. It isn't attached, though, it's just kinda wedged there. It's wedged so well in fact it make the backglass really difficult to remove. In essence the screen lays in the cabinet's backglass channel and then gets wedged underneath the fluorescent light frame. I've tried to include pics to show what's up. What was the accepted method of installation for this thing? You can see the one I have is way too big. Was there always a polarized screen? Should there be some mounting method on the monitor frame or something? It's hard to find info on this.

IMG_20180219_214917 (resized).jpgIMG_20180219_214917 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180219_222933 (resized).jpgIMG_20180219_222933 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180219_222956 (resized).jpgIMG_20180219_222956 (resized).jpg

#434 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

is the accepted method of replacing the lights done by bending the light brackets for each individual light, pulling the bulb, then bending it back?

Yes. You’ll need a mod to have the led lights work right though.

#436 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. You’ll need a mod to have the led lights work right though.

All I did was use non ghosting and I didn’t modify anything.

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

My insert lights are 555 lights, and if I understand right, this apparently sucks.

Not quite. If you have individual 555 sockets, there is some risk of sockets shorting together because they are packed so tightly together, and there's usually some bad diodes on a game that hasn't been touched in years. For the most part, the sockets are ok. If you have a playfield with a lamp board, that's even better.

The driver board 2N5060 SCR's that drive the lamps tend to short out quite easily, and it's usually recommended to bump them up to 2N5064's if you replace them, or even install MCR106's (just note that the legs are arranged differently).

Quoted from alexmogil:

Are LED lights usable in this game?

Yes, and unlike regular Bally pinball games, there is no ghosting.

#438 6 years ago

All I did was use non ghosting and I didn’t modify anything.

Any flickering? Good to hear if no issues.

#439 6 years ago

I’ve seen NIB 13 inch monitors Don’t be quick to replace it. If you need a recommended tech I can recommend a couple.

My back round is bright blue not black like it should be. I recapped it so I know thats good. Just seems.like I have lost black. Its been that way since I got it 6 or so years ago.

#440 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

My back round is bright blue not black like it should be. I recapped it so I know thats good. Just seems.like I have lost black. Its been that way since I got it 6 or so years ago.

Did you try the adjustment pots on the vidiot board?

#441 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

There are several adjustment pots on the back of the monitior. The "screen" control and Focus are on the flyback. You want to turn the screen pot down until the gray/blue tint on the areas that should be black, just disappear. The fact that your black areas are blue (they should be grey) means your colors are a bit out of balance too.

See this page for where the adjustments are located on the monitor chassis (random internet picture of a G07). http://www.thegleek.com/bobroberts/go7-1.html

See page 32 of the Baby Pac manual for the White Balance adjustment procedure if you want to mess with the color balance.

Safety first!
Use a plastic screw driver to adjust those pots.
DO NOT touch any parts of a monitor (circuit boards, wires, etc) when it is on.
Make all adjustments with one hand in your pocket so that if you do get shocked, it is less likely to go through your heart and kill you (in one hand, through your chest and heart, out the other hand). This is not a joke, the one hand in your pocket rule is real!

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Any flickering? Good to hear if no issues.

No. I had a few which were dim but replacing with another LED solved it. The LED wasn’t defective because it worked in a different game oddly enough. I also had a few sockets which needed a diode repair or other work. It was an annoying job to be honest. Think I cut my hands up a bit too.

#443 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Definitely sounds like an adjustment issue. Follow the great advice just provided and report back.

#444 6 years ago

Does anyone have any info or advice on that polarized screen? Did it normally mount to the monitor frame?

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Does anyone have any info or advice on that polarized screen? Did it normally mount to the monitor frame?

I don’t remember off the top of my head to be honest. I know Tron (same company same timeline)screws onto the frame. I’d have to check my game for you which I’m happy to do if no one else answers first.

#446 6 years ago

Just if you can, it's a curiosity.

#447 6 years ago

Anybody have a fix for a fluttering right flipper? I have cleaned adjusted and gently filed the EOS contacts and flipper button contacts. I have also checked the solenoid diodes and they are perfectly fine. All wires are correctly soldered to both the EOS and the solenoid.

#448 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Anybody have a fix for a fluttering right flipper? I have cleaned adjusted and gently filed the EOS contacts and flipper button contacts. I have also checked the solenoid diodes and they are perfectly fine. All wires are correctly soldered to both the EOS and the solenoid.

Like a machine gun? You may have a broken hold winding inside the coil. Try swapping out a new coil.

#449 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

2. I have a polarized (?) screen in front of my monitor. It isn't attached, though, it's just kinda wedged there. It's wedged so well in fact it make the backglass really difficult to remove. In essence the screen lays in the cabinet's backglass channel and then gets wedged underneath the fluorescent light frame. I've tried to include pics to show what's up. What was the accepted method of installation for this thing? You can see the one I have is way too big. Was there always a polarized screen? Should there be some mounting method on the monitor frame or something? It's hard to find info on this.

You are missing the black plastic bezel which surrounds the crt, and the metal brackets to either side, which hold a tinted plastic screen (which is not much larger than the crt). It is fairly common for operators to swap monitors around when one goes bad.

#450 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Like a machine gun? You may have a broken hold winding inside the coil. Try swapping out a new coil.

Yep like a machine gun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,202 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-clubwaka-waka-waka/page/9?hl=sirgubster9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.