By ForceFlow

2 years ago

Stats

• 348 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 98 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

New Plastics (1) (resized).JPG
A247C2E7-B6B0-4C3A-843C-9ADFFFDAAA67 (resized).jpeg
C7CE7DBC-EFEA-41B3-84C3-8F2BBDAB060F (resized).jpeg
PlayfieldOverlay1yearexposure-2 (resized).jpg
PlayfieldOverlay1year (resized).jpg
PlayfieldFruits (resized).jpg
New Plastics (2) (resized).JPG
Baby Pac playfield (14) (resized).JPG
Baby Pac playfield (9) (resized).jpg
06070002 (resized).JPG
06070005 (resized).JPG
newplayfield (resized).JPG
Baby Pacman On (resized).jpg
X-Arcade (resized).jpg
x-ARCADE MAME CAB (resized).jpg
A94B85F1-294A-4F91-9AB6-ED1DB6880A08 (resized).jpeg

There are 348 posts in topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 8 days ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Sorry for the Non BPM pictures. Back on to the BPM subject!

should the screen be black like this ? mine always has a blue back round.

#302 8 days ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

should the screen be black like this ?

Yes.

Quoted from HOOKED:

mine always has a blue back round.

The brightness might be set too high.

#303 8 days ago

I’m guessing Phoenix Arcade has exclusive rights to reproduce the art for this game. Too bad because Id much rather have a “Hardtop” than an overlay.

#304 8 days ago

any chance anyone will be reproducing the side art for granny and the gators? mine looks like crap, someone drew a some private parts on the granny in sharpie, guessing while it was routed long ago. gonna try to wipe it off with something.... alcohol maybe?

#305 8 days ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I’m guessing Phoenix Arcade has exclusive rights to reproduce the art for this game. Too bad because Id much rather have a “Hardtop” than an overlay.

Nope. There are no rights granted.

In addition, Bally made Baby Pac-Man without any permission from Namco. Namco was not pleased. It was resolved with a settlement.

7000 units made and nobody has produced a replacement playfield. I think it has to do with the fact that plenty of pinball people ignore it. I'd be willing to bet they could sell a couple hundred of them easily.

#306 8 days ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

any chance anyone will be reproducing the side art for granny and the gators? mine looks like crap, someone drew a some private parts on the granny in sharpie, guessing while it was routed long ago. gonna try to wipe it off with something.... alcohol maybe?

For the price of a hardtop you can get the overlay from Phoenix and a protector from that place out in Europe. I have the protector for my baby pac project but waiting to do a few touchups before I install it.

#307 8 days ago
Quoted from bpa:

For the price of a hardtop you can get the overlay from Phoenix and a protector from that place out in Europe. I have the protector for my baby pac project but waiting to do a few touchups before I install it.

I generally don't like overlays since they can shift and wrinkle. Having a hard top option would be much more attractive in lieu of an actual replacement playfield.

#308 8 days ago

I sent a request to cpr maybe with enough requests they would consider it

#309 8 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I generally don't like overlays since they can shift and wrinkle. Having a hard top option would be much more attractive in lieu of an actual replacement playfield.

Hmm, do they still do that if you fully prep the surface, sanding it, cleaning it with tack cloth and so on? Just curious because I had considered the overlay when I had my Baby Pac, just wasn't sure how good they actually look and how long they last. I figured they would never make an actual playfield replacement because the game itself doesn't sell for very much. You can sell an $800 playfield for a $5000+ pinball machine, but probably not many customers at that price for a $1000-$1500 Baby Pac.

#310 8 days ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I'd buy one if they ever made them.

but since there really isn't much choice I bought a couple overlays. From two different vendors, one used really dark blues for the sky and the other was much closer to the mark. Since I have a spare playfield I figured it would be my test one. trying to get my garage set up and cleaned out in order to clear coat.

#311 8 days ago

Maybe a $400 CPR playfield would sell. CPR might do alright with this half-sized playfield, for half the money.

The surviving Baby Pac-Man machines show the love people had for the game. The playfields are often pretty worn out.

#312 8 days ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Hmm, do they still do that if you fully prep the surface, sanding it, cleaning it with tack cloth and so on? Just curious because I had considered the overlay when I had my Baby Pac, just wasn't sure how good they actually look and how long they last.

They can still wrinkle and bubble. The overlay is still a thin material being adhered to wood. As things move and twist on top of the overlay (such as screws and posts), so does the overlay to some degree, which creates wrinkles.

Some people clear coat on top of the overlay (just be aware that some chemicals may attack the overlay material/inks), or lay down mylar--either one will help.

#313 8 days ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Perhaps we can all do the same at the same time. Don't they run polls somewhere on what to make next?

I talked to someone from CPR at a trade show last year and asked if they would ever do Baby Pac-Man. His response was "No, they didn't make enough of them" to which I replied "7000 isn't enough?" and his response was "I thought it was more like 1000".

#314 8 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This one drove me crazy as well! Hopefully this solves this issue and if it is searched in the forums it comes up:
To reset or clear the high scores on Baby Pac-Man, navigate to the high score list and simply trigger the left coin armature and it will clear the score to zero, so if you hit it 10 times it resets the whole list. It's in the manual but not where you'd expect it, it was tucked in an unrelated page. I read through it about 7 times before I found this. If it's not the left coin mech, it would of course be the right one. I'm pretty sure it's the one closest to the hinge. If you're not familiar with them, it's just the little thin metal arm that is triggered by a coin falling through it. Just use your finger.
Squirt the volume pot on the Vidiot with some of that contact cleaner or whatever it is. The machine should be off but to my understanding it won't explode like an EM.
I have not read the dip switch one. There are way more dipswitches than just that, is it referring to a specific bank?

Tried pressing both coin chute switches and nothing. Confirmed both coin switches do in fact work. Any other suggestions before I mess with the dipswitches?

#315 7 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

They can still wrinkle and bubble. The overlay is still a thin material being adhered to wood. As things move and twist on top of the overlay (such as screws and posts), so does the overlay to some degree, which creates wrinkles.
Some people clear coat on top of the overlay (just be aware that some chemicals may attack the overlay material/inks), or lay down mylar--either one will help.

Exactly, mine delaminated in it’s tube! I had it for about 2 years and then I unrolled it and decided to stick with the original playfield. I have replaced everything, even a repro cab, the playfield is the last holdout. I would rather have a hardtop so I don’t have to wait 6-8 years.

#316 7 days ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Exactly, mine delaminated in it’s tube! I had it for about 2 years and then I unrolled it and decided to stick with the original playfield. I have replaced everything, even a repro cab, the playfield is the last holdout. I would rather have a hardtop so I don’t have to wait 6-8 years.

Out of curiosity, where did you go to get a cab?

#317 7 days ago

Someone on KLOV probably 6 years ago. I don’t believe he’s making cabs anymore though.

#318 7 days ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Someone on KLOV probably 6 years ago. I don’t believe he’s making cabs anymore though.

Ah, I remember seeing that a while back. Oh well--I was hoping it was something more recent.

#319 7 days ago

Update: I got the scores reset by using the method I posted previously. Set all the dipswitches to 1, except dipswitch 0, then turned on the game and waiting 1 minute. Turned off and then put switches back to default.

#320 7 days ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Hmm, do they still do that if you fully prep the surface, sanding it, cleaning it with tack cloth and so on? Just curious because I had considered the overlay when I had my Baby Pac, just wasn't sure how good they actually look and how long they last. I figured they would never make an actual playfield replacement because the game itself doesn't sell for very much. You can sell an $800 playfield for a $5000+ pinball machine, but probably not many customers at that price for a $1000-$1500 Baby Pac.

Their was a guy that re-screened Baby Pac playfields back in 2001. You had to strip down your playfield,sand it and ship it to him and he had it re-screened and shipped back. I sent him one and I still have it. It looks great but he made a mistake, never found out if he did it on purpose or if it was just a mistake. He did a great job except
that he misspelled "energizers" as "enegizers".
Here is a copy of the post from rec.games.video.arcade
rec.games.video.arcade ›
FS:NEW BABY PAC MAN PLAYFIELD ART SCREENED YOUR WOOD OR MYLAR!!!
1 post by 1 author

Jays...@aol.com

5/31/01

Hey,
I've decided to silkscreen directly to my wooden playfield for a
perfect restoration. I'll be doing them in 1 day only, so if you want
to get your playfield done with perfect color matching using the
original silkscreen method used at the factory, now is the time to do
it. It's $125 + return shipping.
I scanned my old one and carefully traced over it using Adobe
Illustrator (EPS vector art). So there's great color separations and
color trapping just like the original. I'm a graphic designer by trade
and it still took me over 40 hours to do--no detail was ignored.

Remove your playfield--take off flippers, remove light bulbs and
rails, etc. Leave the wiring and light sockets etc on (no sense in
complicating it by removing wiring!). Sand the old art off and make
the playfield smooth (final sanding with 800 grit). The colored light
lenses will also be sanded (I used 1500 grit sandpaper to wet sand
mine smooth) without removal so that the new lettering can be screened
on. Leave the wood bare and send it to me. When I get everyone's in,
I'll take them to press. A clear coat will actually be silkscreened on
in addition to a hardener at no extra cost. It's probably tougher than
the original by far.

I'll also be doing mylar the same day if you don't want to do it to
wood (of course stripping is still necessary though). Mylar is $95+$8
shipping.

Email me for my shipping info and questions: Jays...@aol.com

Thanks in advance for helping make this project possible!!!
jaysun

newplayfield (resized).JPG

06070005 (resized).JPG

06070002 (resized).JPG

#321 7 days ago

I put an overlay on my playfield it was pretty blown out. I would be on board to nudge CPR for a repo. I would buy one in a heart beat. This would be so easy to do a playfield swap on. This is the before, during and after. Took a lot of prep work to get the playfield ready. You have to clear coat before you apply the overlay. Like 8 coats of clear with wet sanding between every coat.

Baby Pac playfield (9) (resized).jpg
Baby Pac playfield (14) (resized).JPG
New Plastics (2) (resized).JPG

#322 7 days ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Sorry for the Non BPM pictures. Back on to the BPM subject!

Love the red trim!!! Anyone have suggestions where to buy red or baby blue t-molding? Also I'd love to buy a variety pack of LEDs to experiment any suggestions?

#324 7 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://t-molding.com

Is the standard molding for Baby Pac the 3/4"?

#325 7 days ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Is the standard molding for Baby Pac the 3/4"?

Not sure. It's been a while since I measured it. They carry different sizes if that's not the right one.

#326 6 days ago

Love the red trim!!! Anyone have suggestions where to buy red or baby blue t-molding? Also I'd love to buy a variety pack of LEDs to experiment any suggestions?

All the LEDs in mine when I got it where white. Now they are "FRUITS" all different colors like fruit. All the others I put that color for the color insert it is. It really makes them pop! Also for the flashing LEDs to l warn you of the ball launch I put in super bright blue. I put red under the slingshots and blue all across the top.

#327 6 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not sure. It's been a while since I measured it. They carry different sizes if that's not the right one.

Confirmed it's 3/4".

#328 6 days ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

All the LEDs in mine when I got it where white. Now they are "FRUITS" all different colors like fruit. All the others I put that color for the color insert it is. It really makes them pop! Also for the flashing LEDs to l warn you of the ball launch I put in super bright blue. I put red under the slingshots and blue all across the top.

I'd like to see a photo of how that turned out, if you have one.

#329 6 days ago

I used my camera phone so hope these look ok. I had to turn the exposure down on the darker looking one and the fruits so you could see how they look without the picture being a bright blur. The playfield is actually very well lit but not overly bright.

PlayfieldFruits (resized).jpg

PlayfieldOverlay1year (resized).jpg

PlayfieldOverlay1yearexposure-2 (resized).jpg

#330 6 days ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

I used my camera phone so hope these look ok. I had to turn the exposure down on the darker looking one and the fruits so you could see how they look without the picture being a bright blur. The playfield is actually very well lit but not overly bright.

I've seen worse but the blue and red under the plastics just ruins the colors and makes everything way too dark in my opinion. Everywhere around the slings is purple and the blue by the flippers just makes everything dark.

#331 6 days ago

Update #2 for my machine. The sound problem is now fixed. I knew that the Vidiot board controlled sound, but the first time I looked at it I didn't see the tiny circular volume control button. It was almost all the way down. Cranked it up and now we have full sounds!

Next up is fixing the wonky left flipper and the left drop target that won't go all the way down unless you hit it 2-3 times.

#332 5 days ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Update #2 for my machine. The sound problem is now fixed. I knew that the Vidiot board controlled sound, but the first time I looked at it I didn't see the tiny circular volume control button. It was almost all the way down. Cranked it up and now we have full sounds!
Next up is fixing the wonky left flipper and the left drop target that won't go all the way down unless you hit it 2-3 times.

Yep, that little pot can give you issues.
Check for broken plastic in the drops. I had this issue and it turns out some old broken plastic had lodged itself in the drops and it took some disassembly to get the darn thing out

#333 5 days ago

Update #3 - dove further into the wonky left flipper issue. Removed both shafts and here is what I found.

C7CE7DBC-EFEA-41B3-84C3-8F2BBDAB060F (resized).jpeg

A247C2E7-B6B0-4C3A-843C-9ADFFFDAAA67 (resized).jpeg

#334 5 days ago

It just looks dark because I lowered the exposure to -4 so it would stop the lens flare and make the LEDs color more visable. Here is a picture with the exposure at default settings

New Plastics (1) (resized).JPG

#335 5 days ago

Do not buy Variety LED's. For GI's go with white only..........white only on the GI's. Colors for inserts are ok, but you do NOT want anything but daylight/sunlight warm White for GI's.

#336 5 days ago

My baby pac keeps blowing out U13 & U14. It's not right away but every few months or so. Any ideas why?

Here's my previous thread regarding the blank screen:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-vidiot-problem-6-flashes-unsovled-mysteries

#337 5 days ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

My baby pac keeps blowing out U13 & U14. It's not right away but every few months or so. Any ideas why?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-vidiot-problem-6-flashes-unsovled-mysteries

What are you getting for 5v? Is it on the high side?

#338 5 days ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Also, are you sure they are blowing? Maybe the act of removing and reinstalling them improves the connection in the socket? Maybe replace those sockets with new?

#339 5 days ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Also, are you sure they are blowing? Maybe the act of removing and reinstalling them improves the connection in the socket? Maybe replace those sockets with new?

I had that issue with mine. Thought it was bad fuses, but turned out the fuses were fine. The fuse sockets were so dirty that sometimes they would fail to make contact. Cleaned them, problem solved.

#340 5 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What are you getting for 5v? Is it on the high side?

Quoted from Schwaggs:

No I'm not sure on them blowing. I'll check on both items and report back.

#341 5 days ago

Would anyone that has an overlay be able to scan a couple of sections for me? I have wear spots up by the drop targets (mostly where the words are) and would like a reference to make some decals/water slides.

#342 4 days ago
Quoted from bpa:

Would anyone that has an overlay be able to scan a couple of sections for me? I have wear spots up by the drop targets (mostly where the words are) and would like a reference to make some decals/water slides.

I'll do you one better - Here is a link to all of the artwork already vectorized and free to download:

http://vectorlib.free.fr/BabyPac/

#343 4 days ago
Quoted from pinmods:

I'll do you one better - Here is a link to all of the artwork already vectorized and free to download:
http://vectorlib.free.fr/BabyPac/

Okay really newb question here but... what can one do with the vectorized art and how can you manipulate it or print it for use in overlays and decals??

#344 4 days ago

Okay really newb question here but... what can one do with the vectorized art and how can you manipulate it or print it for use in overlays and decals??

A vector image is what you want to print from. It maintains perfect resolution no matter how you scale it. Any professional printer will require vectorized artwork. Anyone who uses .jpeg's to print is clueless or lazy(unless the quality doesn't really matter)

I'm sure there are other programs to work with vector files but I believe Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw are the two main ones.

Here is a better explanation than I could ever provide:

https://image420.com/what-is-vector-art/

#345 4 days ago
Quoted from HPR:

Bought this Baby direct from storage for cheap. The mpu -135 was completely burned by acid. I changed it and remade all corroded connectors. Installed a new controller video chip and a heatsink on vidiot board and a 12v fan to keep it cool. Now it work nicely
Replaced the broken metal wire gates under the spinners for home made polycarbonate gates and installed a rubber for more protection from direct ball hits.

Nice game
Good job on the plastic guides.

#346 4 days ago

The sound is a bit flaky on mine. I have the pot turned all the way up on the vidiot board. Should I just replace the pots on the vidiot board and the coin door? And if so, anyone know the values of each?

#347 4 days ago

I have used Inkscape in the past for other things not pinball related that required vector graphics. It is free and has loads of features.

https://inkscape.org/en/

#348 4 days ago
Quoted from bpa:

The sound is a bit flaky on mine. I have the pot turned all the way up on the vidiot board. Should I just replace the pots on the vidiot board and the coin door? And if so, anyone know the values of each?

Here you go:

https://www.twistywristarcade.com/potentiometers/970-baby-pac-vidiot-pcb-potentiometer-kit.html?search_query=baby+pac&results=9

#349 3 days ago
Quoted from pinmods:

A vector image is what you want to print from. It maintains perfect resolution no matter how you scale it. Any professional printer will require vectorized artwork. Anyone who uses .jpeg's to print is clueless or lazy(unless the quality doesn't really matter)
I'm sure there are other programs to work with vector files but I believe Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw are the two main ones.
Here is a better explanation than I could ever provide:
https://image420.com/what-is-vector-art/

Thank you, this helps immensely!
Not sure I know where to start but at least it's out there

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Macomb, MI
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
1,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 989.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 15.00
Various Other Swag
Double Danger Pinball
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 109.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Tim's Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 348 posts in topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside