IMG_5552.jpeg
IMG_5549.jpeg
IMG_5548.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5545.jpeg
IMG_5544.jpeg
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_8001 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,202 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 25.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Have twins, two Baby-Pacs, and three Vidiots. Running the non-stuttering Vidiot, marked REV. A, in the nicer machine. The stuttering start tune boards are both screened printed "REV. B".

Cool. That is interesting. I wonder if it is a rom swap? Not that I would dare touch my working Vidiot board lol.

#252 6 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Cool. That is interesting. I wonder if it is a rom swap? Not that I would dare touch my working Vidiot board lol.

There is a ROM update for the vidiot board, but I have no idea what changes it might include.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-a-baby-pacman-vidiot-u9-rom-update-891-16-change

#253 6 years ago

The "REV. A" Vidiot has E-891-03 U9 handwritten onto a Bally/Midway label. The two REV. B boards both have the 891-16 revision at U9. Have a fourth Vidiot, REV B., on the fix it someday pile, but it is missing the rom chips.

#254 6 years ago

I always thought it was just doing some cool 80s Pac Rap/remix.

#255 6 years ago

On the subject of roms, what does the IDPB "home version" set offer? Is it modded for freeplay or something else?

#256 6 years ago

Subbed

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

On the subject of roms, what does the IDPB "home version" set offer? Is it modded for freeplay or something else?

Those are PinMAME ROM files, intended to be used in PinMAME, but are usually identical to originals.

The original ROM set has a free play option built in, so it isn't necessary to use home ROMs for that reason in this case. Home ROMs generally have forced free play with no coin play option.

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Have twins, two Baby-Pacs, and three Vidiots. Running the non-stuttering Vidiot, marked REV. A, in the nicer machine. The stuttering start tune boards are both screened printed "REV. B".

I will check mine. I thought the revisions might be the difference but I thought that my non-stuttering one was also marked B... I will have to check again. There are also all sorts of hand written notes and I can't really figure out what they mean on the boards.
How do you like having twins?! My buddy just came over and played mine and now really really wants one due to the smaller form factor, against a full sized pin. Plus the sheer endless novelty of Pac-Man with pinball, in a tasteful way unlike that god awful mistake of Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those are PinMAME ROM files, intended to be used in PinMAME, but are usually identical to originals.
The original ROM set has a free play option built in, so it isn't necessary to use home ROMs for that reason in this case. Home ROMs generally have forced free play with no coin play option.

I can not figure out for the life of me what the dip setting are for freeplay versus coin play. On the subject I messaged you about earlier, I want it set for 1 coin play but I've been switching the dips 1-5 and 9-13, and it doesn't seem to change anything...

Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is a ROM update for the vidiot board, but I have no idea what changes it might include.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-a-baby-pacman-vidiot-u9-rom-update-891-16-change

I just checked and my game runs the 891-16 chip, the other board with the slightly different sounds that is much older and plays the normal theme has the 891-13 chip. I can try switching them if you'd like. I believe the difference in sound is not related but I'm not sure what the original numbers for the different sound chip is as it's hand written on it. If you'd like to study them I'd be more than happy to help with my chips.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I can not figure out for the life of me what the dip setting are for freeplay versus coin play.

Turn switch 30 to on for free play.

I just checked and my game runs the 891-16 chip, the other board with the slightly different sounds that is much older and plays the normal theme has the 891-13 chip. I can try switching them if you'd like. I believe the difference in sound is not related but I'm not sure what the original numbers for the different sound chip is as it's hand written on it. If you'd like to study them I'd be more than happy to help with my chips.

I'd be interested to find out if that stutter corresponds to a specific ROM version or board version.

#261 6 years ago

The two Baby-Pac's, the twins, one nice, one naughty, are some old projects which I finally got around to this past winter. The "bad" Baby is doing drugs. It came from a bad neighborhood, where it was decorated with drug and gang graffiti. It should clean up, but as it stands I see it as some sort of strange folk art. The boards are done, so perhaps it will get me into next year's Allentown show.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Turn switch 30 to on for free play.

I'd be interested to find out if that stutter corresponds to a specific ROM version or board version.

Thank you! I can try switching roms to see what happens.

So now I've got a weird situation with the lamps... it seems the SCR's might be fine. I haven't tested them yet, still have to get a tester, but the stuck-on lights are off now. Now U and N come on and stay on when the right saucer is activated for the first time... not sure why that would be?!

#263 6 years ago

Thank you! I can try switching roms to see what happens.
So now I've got a weird situation with the lamps... it seems the SCR's might be fine. I haven't tested them yet, still have to get a tester, but the stuck-on lights are off now. Now U and N come on and stay on when the right saucer is activated for the first time... not sure why that would be?!

Sounds like a connector or header pin problem. Changes with the temperature I bet.

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Sounds like a connector or header pin problem. Changes with the temperature I bet.

It's in the basement which stays a solid 65 degrees. Thermometer is right next to it. Connectors have also been over and haven't given any issues. It's only those 2 lights now. I mean I can check it again, what pin would they be, how would I find their exact pin???

#265 6 years ago

It's in the basement which stays a solid 65 degrees. Thermometer is right next to it. Connectors have also been over and haven't given any issues. It's only those 2 lights now. I mean I can check it again, what pin would they be, how would I find their exact pin???

Look on the schematic for the driver board.

1 week later
#266 6 years ago

Hey guys hoping for some help with my baby pacman... the row of ‘c’ lights and ‘m’ lights all don’t work. Here is what I have done so far:

I reflowed the pins on the light board itself

I reflowed the pins on the light transistor board

I changed the two chips out on the light transistor board

I changed 8 transistors last night and the only change I got is now one light is always on and not on the two rows that were out

I am sure I tested the wires from the light board to the light transistor board in the back and got continuity to it

I’m stumped .....

#267 6 years ago

Bought this Baby direct from storage for cheap. The mpu -135 was completely burned by acid. I changed it and remade all corroded connectors. Installed a new controller video chip and a heatsink on vidiot board and a 12v fan to keep it cool. Now it work nicely
Replaced the broken metal wire gates under the spinners for home made polycarbonate gates and installed a rubber for more protection from direct ball hits.

IMG_6303 (resized).JPGIMG_6303 (resized).JPG
IMG_6302 (resized).JPGIMG_6302 (resized).JPG
IMG_6301 (resized).JPGIMG_6301 (resized).JPG
IMG_6304 (resized).JPGIMG_6304 (resized).JPG
IMG_6301 (resized).JPGIMG_6301 (resized).JPG
IMG_6301 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_6301 (1) (resized).JPG

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Bought this Baby direct from storage for cheap. The mpu -135 was completely burned by acid. I changed it and remade all corroded connectors. Installed a new controller video chip and a heatsink on vidiot board and a 12v fan to keep it cool. Now it work nicely
Replaced the broken metal wire gates under the spinners for home made polycarbonate gates and installed a rubber for more protection from direct ball hits.

Nice job! How did you make those poly-carbonate wire guides? I could really use them both mine are broken and over the years apparently chewed the hell out of the playfield. Also a little curious on that fan mod, does it really make a difference? What did you wire it into?
That playfield looks incredible! hardly any wear

#269 6 years ago

Nice job! How did you make those poly-carbonate wire guides? I could really use them both mine are broken and over the years apparently chewed the hell out of the playfield. Also a little curious on that fan mod, does it really make a difference? What did you wire it into?
That playfield looks incredible! hardly any wear

Hi, thanks for the comments !
I used a scroll saw to cut the plastic for the gate.
And yes the fan make the difference because the video controller chip fail regularly because of heavy heat.
Bally installed a 2 fans on the second version of this vidiot (vidiot deluxe) used for Granny and the Gator. You can see they
power it from the 12v direct from the board.
I will power my fan set-up with the 12v from the power supply.

vidiotdlx1s (resized).jpgvidiotdlx1s (resized).jpg

#270 6 years ago

Might be aftermarket fans on that Granny Vidiot Deluxe. Did not have fans on the Granny here, and yes, did lose one of the TMS 9928 video chips, presumably to heat. Can epoxy some passive heatsinks on the chips too. Anything would help as they do run hot.

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Bally installed a 2 fans on the second version of this vidiot (vidiot deluxe) used for Granny and the Gator. You can see they
power it from the 12v direct from the board.
I will power my fan set-up with the 12v from the power supply.

Quoted from Biffbar:

Might be aftermarket fans on that Granny Vidiot Deluxe. Did not have fans on the Granny here, and yes, did lose one of the TMS 9928 video chips, presumably to heat. Can epoxy some passive heatsinks on the chips too. Anything would help as they do run hot.

I agree, I have an extra Vidiot Deluxe laying around that came with my Baby Pac purchase... I was told he bought out an operator who apparently hoarded these boards. It didn't have fans with it either. I will check but I don't believe there is even evidence of there ever being fans on it.

I have had issues with mine but I would like to ensure it stays that way. I'm not really savvy with adding things like this so how exactly do I just jump of the 12v from the power supply? Will the fan be enough? I don't want to add heat sinks... and with the game as it is, should I reapply some heatsink compound to all the old ones?

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cool thread. Would like to hear from all the Baby Pac lovers out there. Here are a couple pics of my Baby Pac. Put some warm white LEDs in the GI, other than that, she is all original!

And the high score is not a typo.......

This is a gold mine. I can see it authenticity.

1 month later
#273 6 years ago

I was hoping I could get some help with a Baby Pac-Man playfield swap that I am doing...

I'm swapping in a playfield from a later Baby Pac that has the lamp PCB on the playfield.

On the Pinwiki at section 5.2 it mentions how a Pigtail Playfield Adapter is needed for a lamp PCB playfield to be used in an earlier cabinet that originally came with individually wired bulbs. It lists the parts needed but unfortunately, it doesn't have any instructions on how to make it. Can someone help me out?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Baby_Pac-Man

"5.2 Pigtail Playfield Adapter
When swapping playfields--especially a lamp socket playfield and lamp board playfield--The playfield connector might not match up with the connector in the cabinet. A pigtail adapter will allow the different playfields to be used without having to modify the original cabling or connectors.
Materials Needed:
(1) Connector Plug, 15-Pin, 0.084"
(1) Connector Receptacle, 24-Pin, 0.062"
(12) Crimp Contact, Socket, 0.062"
(12) Crimp Contact, Socket, 0.084"
(TODO: Wiring instructions)"

Thanks!

#274 6 years ago

I was the one who started the write-up for that. Never got around to doing that project. Since the wiring was arranged differently on the two versions of playfields and cab wiring, you would have to map out what each wire is for on each connector, then match them up through the pigtail adapter.

It's certainly possible to do--I just didn't feel like taking the time to do it since I had other projects to get to. Maybe I'll return to it at some point, but it probably won't be any time soon.

#275 6 years ago

Thanks for your work.

Certainly at some point someone has tackled this.....right?

#276 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

Thanks for your work.
Certainly at some point someone has tackled this.....right?

You're the first person besides me whom I've seen express interest in trying it.

It sure would save a lot of work if someone has already blazed this trail before, though.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You're the first person besides me whom I've seen express interest in trying it.
It sure would save a lot of work if someone has already blazed this trail before, though.

Oh man. I'm doing a full restoration with a new cabinet and clear coated playfield. I didn't even think about this being a potential issue years ago when I picked up the playfield because my original was too far trashed. And here I thought I was entering the home-stretch to finishing.

Grrr.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm just diving into it right now. On the cabinet side - the 24 pin connector has 14 leads going to it. On the "new" playfield side the 15 pin only has 12 leads. Any idea what those 2 extra between them are?

I'll know once I start matching the wires but figured I'd ask in case you know already. Thanks

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

I'm just diving into it right now. On the cabinet side - the 24 pin connector has 14 leads going to it. On the "new" playfield side the 15 pin only has 12 leads. Any idea what those 2 extra between them are?
I'll know once I start matching the wires but figured I'd ask in case you know already. Thanks

No idea. I never traced any of them out.

#280 6 years ago

would love a new playfield.... are they still available? or maybe the overlays?

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Overlays: https://www.phoenixarcade.com/products/baby-pac-man/baby-pac-man-playfield-overlay

They also carry the cab art, CPO, plastics, marquee, and backglass.

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

I really don't understand why they haven't been repo'd. Probably because vendors overlook them as being more of a video game.

7000 produced is not a small number. Especially when that's about DOUBLE the production of a lot of games that have had repro playfields made available for them.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Overlays: https://www.phoenixarcade.com/products/baby-pac-man/baby-pac-man-playfield-overlay
They also carry the cab art, CPO, plastics, marquee, and backglass.

Awesome thanks

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No idea. I never traced any of them out.

I'm on it. Hopefully have it finished next week.

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

I was hoping I could get some help with a Baby Pac-Man playfield swap that I am doing...
I'm swapping in a playfield from a later Baby Pac that has the lamp PCB on the playfield.
On the Pinwiki at section 5.2 it mentions how a Pigtail Playfield Adapter is needed .....
Thanks!

If the playfield is staying with that cabinet you could cut off the playfield side & put on the connector you need (skip the adapter). Keep a couple inches of wire at the plug in case you want to put it back where it was.

Project here was stalled for years, (discrete lamp version), because it came without a 24 pin connector. Someone had cut the harness. Now I'm thinking it might have had something to do with the two types of playfields in circulation.

#286 6 years ago

I have a K4800 Wells Monitor and I have recapped the board due to the colors bleeding. The greens are not right.

Are there any vids or suggestions to get this back?

#287 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

If the playfield is staying with that cabinet you could cut off the playfield side & put on the connector you need (skip the adapter). Keep a couple inches of wire at the plug in case you want to put it back where it was.

Yes, you could do that, but if you mess it up, get stuck, or have to abandon it for some reason, you end up with a severed harness like you mentioned you have.

It's better to make a reversible modification than a permanent one so you can always easily go back to the original configuration--especially if it's something that hasn't been documented before.

#288 6 years ago

Alright...

There are two extra wires on the cabinet harness than on the "new" playfield harness. Orange and Yellow/Red. I can't find either of those colors on the new playfield harness at all.

Thoughts?

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

Alright...
There are two extra wires on the cabinet harness than on the "new" playfield harness. Orange and Yellow/Red. I can't find either of those colors on the new playfield harness at all.
Thoughts?

You may have to try to follow them visually and by hand by taking apart some of the wiring bundles.

[edit]: According to the wiring schematics, orange could be: GI, Strobe 1, or right flipper.

yellow/red could be: strobe 4

However, I'm not sure what differences there may be between the schematics and the two playfield versions.

[edit 2]: I'm guessing they are likely the two strobes, since there are no switches corresponding to those strobes. That could be why they weren't connected to anything.

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You may have to try to follow them visually and by hand by taking apart some of the wiring bundles.
[edit]: According to the wiring schematics, orange could be: GI, Strobe 1, or right flipper.
yellow/red could be: strobe 4
However, I'm not sure what differences there may be between the schematics and the two playfield versions.
[edit 2]: I'm guessing they are likely the two strobes, since there are no switches corresponding to those strobes. That could be why they weren't connected to anything.

Strobes as in flashers? I don't know of any flashers on a Baby Pac.

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

Strobes as in flashers? I don't know of any flashers on a Baby Pac.

Switch matrix strobes, not lamp flashers.

#292 6 years ago

So what would that mean exactly? That they aren't needed because they are somehow combined on the playfield end?

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

So what would that mean exactly? That they aren't needed because they are somehow combined on the playfield end?

There are no switches on those strobe lines in the switch matrix, so the wires probably weren't needed.

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are no switches on those strobe lines in the switch matrix, so the wires probably weren't needed.

Cool. Thanks, man.

Once I get it all back together I'll see if any features are missing

#295 6 years ago

After an almost 2 year search, I finally brought home a Baby Pac-Man yesterday. Got a few small things to work on, like a wonky left flipper. Sometimes it flips at 100%, other times it flips at 50%. It also needs to be "calibrated" as right now due to the angle of the flipper you can't hit most of the drop targets. Also, my left drop target only drops down about 80%, leaving a portion of it sticking up and blocking the ball. After a couple of extra hits it usually falls down all the way. I also have a few lights that I need to replace (game is already switched over to LEDs). Lastly my sound isn't right. Even with the volume knob turned all the way up you can barely hear the game. I haven't looked into any of these issues just yet, however I did have one thing that has me stumped. How in the hell do you reset the game defaults, or at least reset the Hi Scores? I went through the manual, and I saw the setting for manually lowering/raising the scores at 10K intervals, but that will take forever. Is this the correct way to reset the scores?

"With the game off set all the "Game Select Dipswitch" switches to 1 (up) except for Dip #1 which should be on 0 (down). Then turn the game game on. Wait a few seconds (maybe a minute). Then set the Game Select Dipswitch back to the Baby Pacman settings. The settings are... 00110100 or dduududd"

D5C6E35F-A5A7-4E48-8FAA-EC8C15E18CD6 (resized).jpegD5C6E35F-A5A7-4E48-8FAA-EC8C15E18CD6 (resized).jpeg

D28D2857-D8EC-49A0-851B-3103A572F446 (resized).jpegD28D2857-D8EC-49A0-851B-3103A572F446 (resized).jpeg

A94B85F1-294A-4F91-9AB6-ED1DB6880A08 (resized).jpegA94B85F1-294A-4F91-9AB6-ED1DB6880A08 (resized).jpeg

#296 6 years ago

Congrats, man! Looks like a clean example.

My previous Baby Pac-Man needed a new pot to fix the low sound level.

Regarding resetting the scores, I believe you have to hit the player 2 start button or one of the coin switches to zero out the scores when on the adjustment screen. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken....

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

How in the hell do you reset the game defaults, or at least reset the Hi Scores? I went through the manual, and I saw the setting for manually lowering/raising the scores at 10K intervals, but that will take forever. Is this the correct way to reset the scores?
"With the game off set all the "Game Select Dipswitch" switches to 1 (up) except for Dip #1 which should be on 0 (down). Then turn the game game on. Wait a few seconds (maybe a minute). Then set the Game Select Dipswitch back to the Baby Pacman settings. The settings are... 00110100 or dduududd"

This one drove me crazy as well! Hopefully this solves this issue and if it is searched in the forums it comes up:
To reset or clear the high scores on Baby Pac-Man, navigate to the high score list and simply trigger the left coin armature and it will clear the score to zero, so if you hit it 10 times it resets the whole list. It's in the manual but not where you'd expect it, it was tucked in an unrelated page. I read through it about 7 times before I found this. If it's not the left coin mech, it would of course be the right one. I'm pretty sure it's the one closest to the hinge. If you're not familiar with them, it's just the little thin metal arm that is triggered by a coin falling through it. Just use your finger.

Squirt the volume pot on the Vidiot with some of that contact cleaner or whatever it is. The machine should be off but to my understanding it won't explode like an EM.

I have not read the dip switch one. There are way more dipswitches than just that, is it referring to a specific bank?

#298 6 years ago

Congrats!! Two years for the right one, wow you have way more patience then I do. I love your Mame controller but I am a little biased. Our cabs almost match.

x-ARCADE MAME CAB (resized).jpgx-ARCADE MAME CAB (resized).jpg

X-Arcade (resized).jpgX-Arcade (resized).jpg

#299 6 years ago

Sorry for the Non BPM pictures. Back on to the BPM subject!

Baby Pacman On (resized).jpgBaby Pacman On (resized).jpg

#300 6 years ago

THis game is just sooo fun

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,202 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-clubwaka-waka-waka/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.