IMG_5552.jpeg
IMG_5549.jpeg
IMG_5548.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg
IMG_5545.jpeg
IMG_5544.jpeg
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_8001 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,202 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 25.
#151 8 years ago

New plastic set showed up today. Got them all put in and replaced all the screws while I had the old ones out.

New_Plastics_(1)_(resized).JPGNew_Plastics_(1)_(resized).JPG

2 months later
#152 8 years ago

Lithonian -- WOW! Beautiful game you have. I bought mine 10 years ago from a lady that reported it to be HUO and it is very nice, but your game is truly stunning with all of the brand new parts and lighting upgrades. Always glad to see a great game like Baby Pac getting some love as they were often misunderstood and were not maintained back in the day.

I just fixed mine after being down for about a year. My kids can't get enough of it now that they are old enough to understand the rules -- it is getting the most play of all my games these days, so I am getting motivated to spend a little and make it a showpiece like yours.

Well done!

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Mine is factory I believe so you start with 5 pacmen. you cannot get any more than six since you are only allowed one extra man per life. Just stay on one of the first two level formats, and keep using that pacscallator and eat the hell out of some fruit.

Real Nice game. Good clue you have - Sticking around level 1 or 2 is how people get super high scores. I should have figured this out myself, but always played to progress levels and am usually cheering by level 3.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from Allgood:

Real Nice game. Good clue you have - Sticking around level 1 or 2 is how people get super high scores. I should have figured this out myself, but always played to progress levels and am usually cheering by level 3.

My friend who taught me how to play is much better at the Pacman than me so he continues to progress through the levels. Seen him get to at least level nine. I cannot do that, so I get my points from chopping wood on the first handful of levels.

#155 8 years ago

Here's a newbie question for the club. How does one change the playfield lights on a baby pac man?

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Here's a newbie question for the club. How does one change the playfield lights on a baby pac man?

All the top side lights can be reached by just removing plastics.

Everything underneath you'll need to lift the playfield up. When you open the control stick door, there should be two metal tabs that hold the playfield down. Turn those and lid the playfield up and out to any position you want to reach the bulbs.

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All the top side lights can be reached by just removing plastics.
Everything underneath you'll need to lift the playfield up. When you open the control stick door, there should be two metal tabs that hold the playfield down. Turn those and lid the playfield up and out to any position you want to reach the bulbs.

Thanks. I was mainly asking about the playfield lights under the inserts. They have the green plastic bases and I'm not quite sure how to get at the bulbs to change them.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Thanks. I was mainly asking about the playfield lights under the inserts. They have the green plastic bases and I'm not quite sure how to get at the bulbs to change them.

Oh okay. Yeah those are just a quarter turn counterclockwise and they should just pop out. They are 555 bulbs too.

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh okay. Yeah those are just a quarter turn counterclockwise and they should just pop out. They are 555 bulbs too.

Thank you! I've had a few problems with my baby pac man and now that they are solved I need to replace a few blubs. I didn't want to break anything so I thought I would ask.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Thank you! I've had a few problems with my baby pac man and now that they are solved I need to replace a few blubs. I didn't want to break anything so I thought I would ask.

No problem. Baby Pacman was my first game and I was terrified to change a bulb. Slowly but surely I got more brave and learned more. If its routine stuff for Baby Pac I can help for sure. Forceflow is also a baby pac owner and he can help with the more complicated stuff. Good luck!

#161 8 years ago

So far I've replaced a bad flipper coil, U13/U14, a few capacitors on the vidiot board and had to drill out the locks. It's been quite an adventure but I think it's working fine now. Hopefully changing out a few bulbs and adjusting the settings will be all I have to do for a while.

Has anyone put a lighter ball or plastic ball in the trough behind the drop targets? Baby pac man is brutal and I would like to make the pinball part a bit easier. Any thoughts?

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

New plastic set showed up today. Got them all put in and replaced all the screws while I had the old ones out.

New_Plastics_(1)_(resized).JPG

I would like to know your LED setup and shamelessly steal it. Looks great.

#163 7 years ago

I've been restoring my Baby. Gonna be taking it to Pin A Go Go next month.

20160427_201556_(resized).jpg20160427_201556_(resized).jpg

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

20160427_201556_(resized).jpg

I got it non-working really bad condition. Its come a long way.

New items:
Side art
CPO art
Playfield overlay
Plastic set
Buttons
T molding

Sanded, bondo and painted cab
Painted coindoor

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Awesome! Mine will be at the Cleveland show in September.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

That looks Amazing!!! Nicely done. I did a fair amount of board work on mine and still have to dial in the colors (I replaced all the rheostats). Its hard to do by yourself without a large mirror.

I also have a funny thing that happens sometimes with the monitor. I think I need to recap it...

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Very nice

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

That looks awesome!!!!!

#169 7 years ago

I forgot to mention that I also added New Drop Targets and (found used) speaker grills

Quoted from jwwhite15:

I also have a funny thing that happens sometimes with the monitor.

Um, yeah... I started with a dead monitor, bought a working one (that was incompatible) as shown in this old video:

I have since replaced that monitor, with another, and it's working decently... It bounces (shakes) when the flippers are pressed. I'm hoping that someone at the show will have a tip for me on fixing

A buddy did some 3D printing for me:20160504_205812_(resized).jpg20160504_205812_(resized).jpg

The ghost is glow in the dark, and will be lit up with an RGB strip - Can't wait to install it as a topper

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I have since replaced that monitor, with another, and it's working decently... It bounces (shakes) when the flippers are pressed. I'm hoping that someone at the show will have a tip for me on fixing

Might be a grounding issue. Does the power plug have three prongs, or just two? If so, be sure to check continuity for all ground wires starting with the monitor, power supply, and driver board.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Might be a grounding issue. Does the power plug have three prongs, or just two? If so, be sure to check continuity for all ground wires starting with the monitor, power supply, and driver board.

Yeah, I've checked everything logically connected to ground. This was a ground up restore (from non-working everything). I was lucky enough to swap parts back and forth from another Baby Pac and we did a lot of re-pinning connectors, and continuity testing.

It does seem like some kinda ground issue (or power drop) from the monitor. Kinda like a power supply cap or bridge rectifier.(except we swapped power supplies and Its not there) Just haven't pin pointed it yet.

1 week later
#173 7 years ago

Just picked up a Baby Pacman tonight.. kind of a shady place etc. Its a bit dirty but all there (except the glass over the playfield) The display and some of the game light up. The boards all look and the game needs a good cleaning. Almost can't beat the price. I will try to post some pics of it soon.

2 weeks later
#174 7 years ago

I replaced my mpu with an ultimate mpu because of battery leakage. Anyone want my old one? Make me an offer... Here are a few pictures. I'm not quite skillful enough to repair it, nor do I have the time currently. Could be used for parts.

20160601_183611_(resized).jpg20160601_183611_(resized).jpg

20160601_183621_(resized).jpg20160601_183621_(resized).jpg

20160601_183601_(resized).jpg20160601_183601_(resized).jpg

20160601_183632_(resized).jpg20160601_183632_(resized).jpg

20160601_183622_(resized).jpg20160601_183622_(resized).jpg

20160601_183627_(resized).jpg20160601_183627_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#175 7 years ago

I recently joined the club and picked one up with a beautifully restored cabinet. The electronics still need a little work to be reliable.

Do you guys recommend replacing all the header pins and connectors on all original boards or are there some that are reliable and do not need to be replaced?

I'm having trouble with the CPUs reliably reading their ROMs. Should I just clean the pins on all the socketed chips or are the sockets notoriously bad on Bally like they are on Williams System 6?

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Do you guys recommend replacing all the header pins and connectors on all original boards or are there some that are reliable and do not need to be replaced?
I'm having trouble with the CPUs reliably reading their ROMs. Should I just clean the pins on all the socketed chips or are the sockets notoriously bad on Bally like they are on Williams System 6?

The header pins need to be replaced.

On the MPU, like with other Bally MPUs, the ROM sockets usually need to be replaced.

#177 7 years ago

Thanks! Can I get away with replacing just the header pins or should I replace the connectors too?

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Thanks! Can I get away with replacing just the header pins or should I replace the connectors too?

You can usually leave the connectors alone unless they're causing problems. Then it's best to remove the IDC connectors and replace them with standard .100" connectors. However--a couple of the sizes are hard to find from what I recall, so you may need to either cut down a larger connector housing, or use two smaller ones together.

#179 7 years ago

How many of you guys have installed the playfield overlay? Is it difficult?

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

How many of you guys have installed the playfield overlay? Is it difficult?

Mine is an overlay. I am new to the pin hobby and it was my first real repair so that says a lot. I found the prep work to take the most time. All the light sockets where not removed I also loosened the kick outs and covered those then removed all the LEDs. When my overlay gets to the point it has to be replaced I will clear coat it next time. Mine is just the overlay with no clear.

Here is an online guide I used and worked perfect. When it came time to put the overlay on I used premixed window tint spray and soaked the playfield after all the prep work so I could get is centered and then squeegeed it out.

http://pinballmagic.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6&chapter=0

Here is a picture of what I did so I wouldn't get any spray where I didn't want it. The dots are those round stickers you get at the office supply store.

Baby_Pac_playfield_(14)_(resized).JPGBaby_Pac_playfield_(14)_(resized).JPG

#181 7 years ago

So you dont have to remove the inserts, as the link says but you have to really watch the edges and make sure you get all the playfield clean of the original paint?

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

So you dont have to remove the inserts, as the link says but you have to really watch the edges and make sure you get all the playfield clean of the original paint?

Yes. It is key you get all the paint off. Don't worry about cringing as you sand off the paint, this is a normal side effect. But it isn't hard to sand and not worry about it when it looks like mine did. And mine had an overlay on it just was not done correctly. My ball looked like I was playing Marble Madness. Also I actually had a couple inserts that where cupped and this also fixed those. I have a pic at the top of this page with the overlay and plastics from Phoenix Arcade.

Baby_Pac-Man_before_(resized).jpgBaby_Pac-Man_before_(resized).jpg

#183 7 years ago

A couple things I did on mine that the tutorial doesn't talk about. If you don't clear coat it let it sit a few days to make sure any moisture under the overlay left from squeegeeing has dried. Also on mine I put little clear Lexan self stick disks. The first post I put down started to bubble that spot as I tightened it down so I stopped and the light came on in my head. I put Dan's Maxi Mounts under the posts. They are self stick, clear and already have a hole in it. They are made for reinforcing RC car bodies where the mount post goes through. Good thing I am into RC so I knew of these. One final note I used a Felt Squeegee so I wouldn't scratch the new playfield overlay.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB806&P=M

Dan's_Maxi_Mount_Disk_(resized).jpgDan's_Maxi_Mount_Disk_(resized).jpg

#184 7 years ago

Anyone have the Rubber list? I need some new ones.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Anyone have the Rubber list? I need some new ones.

Page 9 of the manual.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Page 9 of the manual.

Thanks. In my haste I missed it.

2 weeks later
#187 7 years ago

Here's a video of my best friend playing baby pac. He's the guy that taught me how to play. He sets a new high score on my game in this video at over 2.3 million. He also in on levels 7-9 where the walls start to disappear.

#188 7 years ago

I have yet to see that screen. I have to check my settings when I play. Was watching yours and the blue drop target score modifier for the free Baby Pac on mine I am pretty sure resets to zero when I die.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

I have yet to see that screen. I have to check my settings when I play. Was watching yours and the blue drop target score modifier for the free Baby Pac on mine I am pretty sure resets to zero when I die.

Yeah, if your extra baby pac progress is lost after each life, that would make the game even harder. Not a ton harder, but definitely would switch up my strategy a little bit.

#190 7 years ago

Just found this post. I love odd pins like Baby Pac. I did a large haul a few years back. One game left was a poor baby Pac that looked like it was melting into the floor. The rest of the machine looked great. It had no plays and I'm assuming it got water damaged early on in its life. Well I way overpaid $400. No Vidiot or MPU. Took 2 weekends to bring it back from the dead. Clear coated the playfield, built a new cabinet, nos monitor, Alltek, and rebuilt Vidiot. Replaced every single connector. Fun build and it's still in my collection.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#191 7 years ago

Holy Moses. Color me jealous! Well done!!

#192 7 years ago

Very nice work! Looks beautiful!

#193 7 years ago

That is the nicest one I have seen. It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line!! Super Job on the restore!

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

No Vidiot or MPU. Took 2 weekends to bring it back from the dead

Beautiful! Damn!

Where did you dig up a vidiot board?

#195 7 years ago

I got a vidiot from Twisty Wrist arcade. He rebuilds them and sometimes has some for sale.

1 week later
#196 7 years ago

Hey guys, just joined the Baby Pac Man club, and I've got a couple issues off the bat I was hoping some of you Baby Pac vets could give me some advice with.

Issue #1: During game play, when the ball lands in the Left saucer (In the "Fruits" section), it does not get kicked back out, and just sits idly in the saucer indefinitely. Strangely, when running the solenoid test, the saucer kicks the ball out without any issue, so I'm not sure why this is only happening during game play. Any idea what's going on?

Issue #2: My display looks folded, and contains faint vertical lines from top to bottom. Any idea what could be causing this? Previous owner says it was fine before the game was delivered to me, and that it could be just a loose cable. If thats the case, any idea which cables are the likely culprit? If that's not the case, then what could be the likely problem?

Thanks!

image1_(3)_(resized).JPGimage1_(3)_(resized).JPG

IMG_8728_(resized).JPGIMG_8728_(resized).JPG

IMG_8726_(resized).JPGIMG_8726_(resized).JPG

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Issue #1: During game play, when the ball lands in the Left saucer (In the "Fruits" section), it does not get kicked back out, and just sits idly in the saucer indefinitely. Strangely, when running the solenoid test, the saucer kicks the ball out without any issue, so I'm not sure why this is only happening during game play. Any idea what's going on?

Have you tested the switch?

Quoted from japespin:

Issue #2: My display looks folded, and contains faint vertical lines from top to bottom. Any idea what could be causing this? Previous owner says it was fine before the game was delivered to me, and that it could be just a loose cable. If thats the case, any idea which cables are the likely culprit? If that's not the case, then what could be the likely problem?

It's not a cable issue, but a component issue.

Take a look here: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showpost.php?p=61384&postcount=10

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Have you tested the switch?

Strangely, none of my switches are registering when I put the machine in Switch Test Mode. However, during game play, all the switches are registering fine.

It's not a cable issue, but a component issue.
Take a look here: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showpost.php?p=61384&postcount=10

I sure hope that isn't the case. The fellow pinsider I acquired this BPM from sent me pictures before we made our deal, and none of the pics he sent showed this symptom. Any clues as to what components specifically would be causing this?

#199 7 years ago

You might be able to adjust the foldover using the vertical hold or vertical position adjustments on the monitor chassis. Use only a 100% plastic screwdriver to adjust the pots on the monitor and be very careful not to touch anything in that area with your hands. There is high voltage in that area that can kill you. Also, let the monitor warm up for 30 minutes, then adjust the SCREEN adjustment on the chassis flyback until the retrace lines are gone. The screen pot is basically the brightness control.

I'm with forceflow. if the solenoids work in test mode, look to the switches. Early Bally games like this one is susceptible to bad connectors (worn out) on the boards. Try reseating the connectors on the CPU board to see if that clears up your switch issue.

#200 7 years ago

When I picked up my Baby Pacman, the drop target mechanism wasn't working properly. I inspected and quickly realized it was dirty (duh) and the memory coils were disconnected and one was completely missing. The Baby Pac manual does not list the parts numbers for the drop target assembly so I took a look at the online parts manual at Planetary Pinball and found the part numbers I needed:

Coil - CJ-31-2000
Coil Bracket P-108-53
Spring SP-200-206
Plunger A-555-8 or A-550-8

I found the coil and bracket at Marcos but the spring and plunger are unobtanuim unless you find them used.

I ended up making them out of these parts from Marco:
Compression spring 10A-135 Marco part number 10-135 http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-135
Nylon Plunger 515-7223-00 http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-7223-00

Of course, this plunger was way too long but I just cut it to the proper length with a hack saw, then filed the end smooth and slightly tapered it.

The spring was also too long. I cut a few coils off and bent the cut off end to look like a typical spring end. I put the cut end towards the plunger end.

I also picked up a new set of drop targets from Marco. They look great! - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/ASE-2806-10-DT

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,202 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-clubwaka-waka-waka/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.