IMG_1992 (resized).JPG
IMG_2048 (resized).JPG
A631A02F-6E28-474B-9A7E-3BA91B4B8E4F (resized).jpeg
2E753472-CF83-40E1-9F82-72B4BF7B2D8B (resized).jpeg
87942FD4-0DBB-4795-8C45-F0EADDC40FDC (resized).jpeg
40038C4F-D5AB-4E93-B818-132FE6E5F85D (resized).jpeg
88A22E7E-B3B1-4F94-A26B-8C87EC90C305 (resized).jpeg
54000C9B-C248-4A54-A80B-927C555CC593 (resized).jpeg

There are 865 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.
#501 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

My only question is for the group of wires to the left. Those ones make a connection but then continue to another connector, so do I just cut it and strip both ends and crimp them in the same pin?
It still blows my mind that that single connector made my entire game non-functioning... the smallest details have the greatest impacts!

If you are really good, you can cut the looped wire and get it crimped into a single pin. It is easier said than done and takes some practice.

Easier but more time consuming way is to get some heat shrink tubing and some extra wire. Cut the looping wire, strip both ends, solder together. Cut a short length of wire (1-2" is fine) strip one end, tin the end and solder to the other pair of wires. Cover the solder joint with some heat shrink tubing. strip and crimp the pin on the end of the single wire.

No matter which way you go, do yourself a favor and get one of these. It crimps the wire and insulation at the same time. Works flawlessly... amazon.com link »

#502 3 years ago

My only question is for the group of wires to the left. Those ones make a connection but then continue to another connector, so do I just cut it and strip both ends and crimp them in the same pin?
It still blows my mind that that single connector made my entire game non-functioning... the smallest details have the greatest impacts!

For the connections that have the wire across the IDC connector I found trying to put 2 wires in one pin connector impossible. Their may be a connector that will take a larger wire but what I did was just make a short jumper wire soldered from the 2 wires to one to the pin. You can see how I did it in my video.
You can skip ahead to 31:14 in the video to get to that connector but give the hole video a try. If you like please subscribe and I hope it's helpful.

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

If you are really good, you can cut the looped wire and get it crimped into a single pin. It is easier said than done and takes some practice.
Easier but more time consuming way is to get some heat shrink tubing and some extra wire. Cut the looping wire, strip both ends, solder together. Cut a short length of wire (1-2" is fine) strip one end, tin the end and solder to the other pair of wires. Cover the solder joint with some heat shrink tubing. strip and crimp the pin on the end of the single wire.
No matter which way you go, do yourself a favor and get one of these. It crimps the wire and insulation at the same time. Works flawlessly... amazon.com link »

Wow that tool looks like it would save me some time!

#504 3 years ago

I found the problem to my scrambled high score saves alpha numeric issue. U1 needed seating now all is well.

9D340EE8-CE2B-4FC4-842E-2AD99F636C96 (resized).jpeg

#505 3 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

I found the problem to my scrambled high score saves alpha numeric issue. U1 needed seating now all is well.

Glad you found the solution! Thanks for sharing.

3 weeks later
#506 3 years ago

Took the VIDIOT board out today and gave it a bath. Then replaced all the pots on it. Wow what a difference. Before the colors where not crisp and the background would flicker from black to green while playing. All of it has been resolved. Very crisp colors once I got them dialed in and no flickering background.
First is the finished board second is how it looked when I started.

After (resized).jpg
before 2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#507 3 years ago

I was asked by Pinsider perryd to post images of the connection to the monitor from the boards, and I figured it would be helpful to post them on this thread, should anyone else be curious!

Hopefully this can help other Baby Pac Man restorations

15A2C245-4D8C-4500-A903-0C8458183654.jpeg1C8F7F9C-F130-4FF4-9EE0-D7D63A1B504B.jpeg6B364A83-417B-4512-AF3C-267DCD0F4047.jpegABA32F6F-E8B7-49C8-A13C-9C7FD8779CD9.jpegD776D6E8-3318-4A25-A136-F4B7C620EF59.jpegE5F222B9-8983-44E0-946F-A82A0036C079.jpegE99FE61A-813C-4663-99FC-47A805E863BD.jpeg
#508 3 years ago

Thanks for posting these and thanks forceflow and antennaejim as well for sending images!

Three great pinsiders who graciously helped out. Hope to return the favor in the future!

p

1 month later
#509 3 years ago

Got mine running finally.. just need to replace the control panel with another original one that I have that is in better shape.. also need to install the nvram.. I would not say all original but all original parts used..

B0390070-C612-4764-AF4F-F4D50281E9FB (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#510 3 years ago

Got my Baby Pacman up and running

Installed a New Alltek MPU and game plays great

Question

What dip switch setting allows the Free Baby feature to be awarded ?

My arrows advance to where the free baby flashes but nothing he’s awarded when made

24E5F9D7-79A6-4CFA-97A8-7E4771F54329 (resized).jpeg8211445F-2E7B-46BA-BCA0-C81E53D142A8 (resized).jpeg
#511 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Got my Baby Pacman up and running
Installed a New Alltek MPU and game plays great
Question
What dip switch setting allows the Free Baby feature to be awarded ?
My arrows advance to where the free baby flashes but nothing he’s awarded when made

Iirc, in the test menu you need to adjust a setting called special mode, set it to 2. If that isn't it, it's the other high score mode, set it 2. It's in the manual but it's sort of confusing.

Edit: it's high score mode , set to 2

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Iirc, in the test menu you need to adjust a setting called special mode, set it to 2. If that isn't it, it's the other high score mode, set it 2. It's in the manual but it's sort of confusing.
Edit: it's high score mode , set to 2

Thank you so much it worked !!

#513 3 years ago

So I am wanting to fix a few cosmetic things. My plexi over the crt has a couple good scratches in it. Does anyone know a good replacement? I noticed it is tinted but not sure if it is a special filter of some kind.

#514 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

So I am wanting to fix a few cosmetic things. My plexi over the crt has a couple good scratches in it. Does anyone know a good replacement? I noticed it is tinted but not sure if it is a special filter of some kind.

https://www.phoenixarcade.com/product-category/baby-pac-man

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

You will have to cut your own or take it to a glass shop and have them replicate it. It does have four holes drilled through it.

#516 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

You will have to cut your own or take it to a glass shop and have them replicate it. It does have four holes drilled through it.

That's what I figured. I have drilled and cut acrylic so no problem there. Thanks!

#517 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

That's what I figured. I have drilled and cut acrylic so no problem there. Thanks!

On second thought, it might have retainer clips that go into the metal frame instead of a screw that goes through the acrylic. It's been awhile since I've looked at a midway monitor setup...

#518 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

On second thought, it might have retainer clips that go into the metal frame instead of a screw that goes through the acrylic. It's been awhile since I've looked at a midway monitor setup...

I will let you know. I ordered a piece of light smoked acrylic.

Also I have a settings question. I don't see anything in the manual but is there any way when you earn a free Pac-Man to earn more then one? I have got in a grove on the playfield and get the yellow arrow multiple times and only get one more life for all that hard work.

#519 3 years ago

Selling an original Wired Baby Pacman Playfield

Mylar has been pulled already pulled off

150$ plus shipping

Message me if you would like it

01635D16-075E-47FF-83D1-5304730168BD (resized).jpeg5B8C1AFD-5132-4295-8DF2-C5618A95BC6A (resized).jpeg7089EE5E-68D6-4F7D-AE83-F4A2C4640804 (resized).jpegADF42ED1-6716-4C0F-8747-56DBC4A5F7B8 (resized).jpeg
#520 3 years ago

Been in the club for a couple.months now. Bought the 'Gangsta baby' aka 'crack baby' from biffbar. Brought her back to like new condition.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-crack-baby-pac-man-restoration-thread

#521 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

I will let you know. I ordered a piece of light smoked acrylic.
Also I have a settings question. I don't see anything in the manual but is there any way when you earn a free Pac-Man to earn more then one? I have got in a grove on the playfield and get the yellow arrow multiple times and only get one more life for all that hard work.

Nope, you cannot stack extra babies. I've taken 'dives' to prevent the second baby from being wasted.

#522 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Been in the club for a couple.months now. Bought the 'Gangsta baby' aka 'crack baby' from biffbar. Brought her back to like new condition.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-crack-baby-pac-man-restoration-thread

Went through your thread. Very nice job. I would have never thought it would have worked when you first got it home just by the looks. lol
. lol

#523 3 years ago

In case anyone needs to ever replace the plexiglass behind the bezel I purchased a sheet that is a perfect match for tint. Also the sheet at 12" wide is only 1/8" wider and you can't tell when it's mounted. Just cut the height and center the old to mark the 4 holes you need to drill. Here is the plexi I purchased. It was under 18 bucks shipped. Also the way they packed it I don't see it getting damaged. It was triple wrapped in cardboard.

1/8" x 12" x 24" - Grey "Smoked" Plexiglass Acrylic Sheet - #2064
https://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexiglass-Grey-Smoked-1-8-x-12-x-24-p/t801251224.htm

Here it is installed. Next will be a new bezel. Mine has some very deep scratches.

New Plexi (resized).jpg

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Selling an original Wired Baby Pacman Playfield
Mylar has been pulled already pulled off
150$ plus shipping
Message me if you would like it

I’m kinda curious why you have an extra playfield to sell? Did you buy one with the circuit board lights and swap it out?

#525 3 years ago

All my switches are dying. Soon as I replace one another goes so I am just going to get them all and replace them. I have found replacements for everything except the slingshots. Has anyone replaced theirs and if so what did you use? The original part is discontinued and no alternate is listed that I can find.

#526 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

All my switches are dying. Soon as I replace one another goes so I am just going to get them all and replace them. I have found replacements for everything except the slingshots. Has anyone replaced theirs and if so what did you use? The original part is discontinued and no alternate is listed that I can find.

That doesn't sound right--they're leaf switches--not a whole lot can go wrong there. Either the contacts get dirty or the gap between the two leafs needs to be adjusted.

#527 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Have you replaced all the original connections on the circuit board? P1 has given me endless grief and random parts of my playfield went dead and then sporadically would come back.

So check all the connectors and replace them all as everyone says. Another possibility is the solenoid driver/lamp combo board. If you’ve got some bad components on it you’ll have a real bad time.

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That doesn't sound right--they're leaf switches--not a whole lot can go wrong there. Either the contacts get dirty or the gap between the two leafs needs to be adjusted.

A few of the switches contacts where so worn they were non existent. And some pretty rusted. The ones I have replaced are working great. The slingshots work I just figured I have replaced the vuk and rollovers might as well do the slingshots. Drop targets have never given me any problems.

#529 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

A few of the switches contacts where so worn they were non existent.

Ah, someone probably filed them down thinking they should be treated like EM switches, instead of just cleaning them by running some paper between the contacts.

1 week later
#530 3 years ago

So I purchased the playfield TheCnyPinGuy was selling. I kept thinking about what ForceFlow said about my overlay in time will start to move and bubble at some point. So I said if I ever found a playfield that wasn't blown I would get it. So, I showed the wife this one that was for sale and she actually purchased it. I think she likes the game more then I do, lol. USPS did do the usual and dropped the box. Top left corner took a nice hit. Luckily it won't be seen it's there the wood rails cover it. Overall it's in really good shape. This is after I took everything off and got almost all the mylar glue off. I will post another picture when it's done.

IMG_20180803_222445 (resized).jpgIMG_20180803_224608 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#531 3 years ago

Got my non-working Baby Pac for $50. Took an Alltek Ultimate MPU, replacing the U10 socket and ROM on the Vidiot, replacing a burned out solenoid and a few fuses to get it operational. All I have to do now is get the playfield lighting worked out. Happy to be a member of the group, I love this machine!

IMG_8759 (resized).jpg
#532 3 years ago
Quoted from SaintJB:

Got my non-working Baby Pac for $50. Took an Alltek Ultimate MPU, replacing the U10 socket and ROM on the Vidiot, replacing a burned out solenoid and a few fuses to get it operational. All I have to do now is get the playfield lighting worked out. Happy to be a member of the group, I love this machine!
[quoted image]

That machine doesn't look bad at all! Nice score! Such an overlooked fun game!

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from SaintJB:

All I have to do now is get the playfield lighting worked out

Congrats!! I've owned two, and all the playfield lighting issues came from bad transistors on the driver board. They're very easy to test & replace. Good luck!

1 week later
#534 3 years ago

Yo fellow Pac daddyo's!

I've been skimming through all of these pages and seen some amazing refurb work.

There are so many amazing playfield and cab replacements, and I've been wondering how did ya'll come up with the measurements? Or was a case of trace and stencil / old over new?

As fortune would have it, there was somebody selling an original hand drawn cabinet engineering drawing, which I didn't get but am hoping the owner will contribute a high rez A1 scan one day to share with punters.

But until that happens, heres a few different sections and close ups which may be useful one day and it would be interesting to know whether these are the final "as built" dimensions. Time to grab a tape measure...

Enjoy... waka-waka-waka

Babypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 1 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 10 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 11 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 2 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 3 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 4 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 5 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 6 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 7 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 8 (resized).jpgBabypac Pin Cab Shematic Pic 9 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#535 3 years ago

Recently acquired a Baby Pacman. Every thing works except sound. No start up sound, gameplay sound, etc. My test sound does work however, and I can adjust the loudness of the test sound with both my video pots. I have noticed that when both pots are all the way up I am getting a hum from the speakers. Anyone know what the problem could be?

#536 3 years ago

I have an overlay set I found an up.on ebay now $5 start. It is a partial so I want sure what's it is worth.

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I have an overlay set I found an up.on ebay now $5 start. It is a partial so I want sure what's it is worth.

Already bought that. I saw it, made a offer, and acquired it. Was worth every penny I paid If not more. You should have jumped on sooner and made a offer like I did. I've searched the internet for hours and days looking for playfield sections and this is the only one I've ever found. Won't be needing all of sections, feel free to PM me if your interested in buying the sections I won't be using. HOOKED

tmp_24085-Screenshot_2018-09-11-08-49-43-628619648.png
#538 3 years ago
Quoted from Crt1989:

Recently acquired a Baby Pacman. Every thing works except sound. No start up sound, gameplay sound, etc. My test sound does work however, and I can adjust the loudness of the test sound with both my video pots. I have noticed that when both pots are all the way up I am getting a hum from the speakers. Anyone know what the problem could be?

What does your led flashes on boot look like? I’m assuming its a rom or socket issue causing the no sound.

#539 3 years ago
Quoted from Crt1989:

Already bought that. I saw it, made a offer, and acquired it. Was worth every penny I paid If not more. You should have jumped on sooner and made a offer like I did. I've searched the internet for hours and days looking for playfield sections and this is the only one I've ever found. Won't be needing all of sections, feel free to PM me if your interested in buying the sections I won't be using. Hooked[quoted image]

This is a very peculiar thing... why would someone only make pieces?

#540 3 years ago
Quoted from Crt1989:

Vidiot board has an issue.

#541 3 years ago

Somebody get me a Hardtop instead of my bubbled up Phoenix Arcade playfield overlay!

#542 3 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

What does your led flashes on boot look like? I’m assuming its a rom or socket issue causing the no sound.

I actually just figured that out! My socket at U27 isn't fully attached to the board, don't know how I didn't notice it before! I'm not sure rather I'm going to reflow or have a new socket installed. Going to buy a new EPROM either way.

#543 3 years ago

This is a very peculiar thing... why would someone only make pieces?

I don't know, but the sections are perfect for my wear on my playfield.

#544 3 years ago

Sections came in today, not perfect, but looks a lot better than before. Will be installing a new playfield one day, this will work for now. Including before and after pictures.

tmp_19949-IMG_20180902_083548-1780892365.jpgtmp_19949-IMG_20180913_144500-901592806.jpg
#545 3 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my left flipper... when the ball hits it, it gives a little. I replaced the flipper bushings, and bats and now I realize that when the ball hits the flipper the coil gives out. The EOS is properly spaced. I really don't understand why when the flipper is impacted in any way, the coil lets go and starts to machine-gun. Any idea why it doesn't seem to hold?

#546 3 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my left flipper... when the ball hits it, it gives a little. I replaced the flipper bushings, and bats and now I realize that when the ball hits the flipper the coil gives out. The EOS is properly spaced. I really don't understand why when the flipper is impacted in any way, the coil lets go and starts to machine-gun. Any idea why it doesn't seem to hold?

You could check the diode. If the diode is ok I would just replace the coil. Mine did that as well and I just replaced the whole coil assembly. But most of the times it's a bad diode.

#547 3 years ago

Would the IC at U27 not being fully attached to the board cause sound problems?

#548 3 years ago

Yes, its the processor that controls the sound on the vidiot.

2 weeks later
#549 3 years ago

Anyone know what type of leaf switches are used on the 4 way controller? I can’t seem to track them down.

Mine work intermittently, cut out durning game play. When I open the controller panel and press them manually they seem to work fine. They seem very worn out! I’ve only used paper to clean them but don’t know what a previous owner did in the past..

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from ICPjuggla:

Anyone know what type of leaf switches are used on the 4 way controller? I can’t seem to track them down.
Mine work intermittently, cut out durning game play. When I open the controller panel and press them manually they seem to work fine. They seem very worn out! I’ve only used paper to clean them but don’t know what a previous owner did in the past..

Are the leaf switches worn or is it your controller rubber grommit that is worn?

There are 865 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside