• Latest reply 3 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200517_101254 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

This thing has been a challenge. I realize that this is probably more of a "Video Game" question, rather than a pinball question.

Had the Vidiot board working perfectly for a few minutes. Then this happened. Just random garbage comes up on the screen.

The Vidiot goes through the 10 flashes. The TMS9928AN has been replaced. No change. I'm out of ideas, and can't find anyone ever having this issue before.

20200517_101254 (resized).jpg20200517_101254 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

Your cpu is working good too?
The sockets on the vidiot board are good?
No acid on either board?
Just giving ideas

#4 3 years ago

Try the video self test button. Do you get the communication test screen? Press the test button again. Do you get the color bar test on the screen?

#5 3 years ago

For all the socketed chips, are all the legs clean and untarnished? Any damage around the sockets from prying up chips improperly?

Maybe a bad video ram chip that isn't being picked up by the boot test?

I don't think the video amplifiers can fail this way, but maybe a problem with u17 or u18?

Maybe garbage data is being fed in to the video processor somehow?

Maybe a broken PCB trace somewhere? hold the board up to a bright light and carefully inspect it.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Try the video self test button. Do you get the communication test screen? Press the test button again. Do you get the color bar test on the screen?

pressing the self test button does nothing

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from gameover1173:

Your cpu is working good too?
The sockets on the vidiot board are good?
No acid on either board?
Just giving ideas

Quoted from ForceFlow:

For all the socketed chips, are all the legs clean and untarnished? Any damage around the sockets from prying up chips improperly?

Most of the sockets have been replaced. I did this to go from dead to 10 flashes. I admit one of the ROM sockets has not been replaced, but I would expect that it wouldn't go through the complete flash sequence. The legs on the ICs have been cleaned.

MPU is a new Alltek. MPU connectors and pins have been replaced

I did learn something about the pervasiveness of battery damage. Visually, the ROM socket pins looked fine, but replacing them fixed the original boot issues.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe a bad video ram chip that isn't being picked up by the boot test?
I don't think the video amplifiers can fail this way, but maybe a problem with u17 or u18?
Maybe garbage data is being fed in to the video processor somehow?

I really think you are on to something here. I really believe the issue is in the Video processing section. I was wondering if anyone has seen a failed video processing crystal that might cause this? But then again, the chances of a failed crystal are pretty minuscule. But that's me! I seen to get all the odd-ball problems that occur once in a lifetime for everyone else.

So, Video RAM first. Will report my findings.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I really believe the issue is in the Video processing section.

That's what I was thinking.

I've perused some pacman board repair guides which have helped a little with some fundamentals of video arcade board concepts since those boards are exceptionally well documented. It might be helpful to seek some of those out, especially since they're from the same time period and manufacturer.

Maybe one of those pacman guides has documented a similar failure that can help narrow things down to the type of failure it might be (ROMs, processing, RAM, amps, etc)

#9 3 years ago

A bad crystal and you would not get ten flashes.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

Most of the sockets have been replaced.

Another thought. The traces this board are pretty fragile, and it's pretty easy to lose pads and have them break off from traces.

So, I'd definately suggest holding the board up to a light, like I mentioned earlier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-boots-to-a-garbled-screen-vidiot-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.