(Topic ID: 135382)

Baby Pacman and playfield LEDs - Any flicker?

By Vannos

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Riptor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Has anyone put LEDs in the playfield of a Baby Pacman? I'm interested to know if there is much/any flicker.

I know they sell "LED flicker eliminator adapter kits" http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MB-07-010 for Bally games but that it isn't tested/supported on Baby Pacman.

Anyone able to share their results? Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Babypac uses a special driver board. It may be pin to pin compatible. Match up the schematics and see if the output pins are the same. I would guess that they are and the seigecraft boards will work, but i dont know 100%.

The other option is to solder a 270 ohm resistor across the lamp socket leads that flicker. This increases the current consumption high enough to keep the SCR latched and turned on so it doesnt flicker.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm still hoping the flicker isn't bad enough.

#4 5 years ago

Put them in my baby pac when I had it.
No flicker at all.

I put superbrights under the inserts. And frosted bulbs in the G.I.

#5 5 years ago

Babypacs don't have flicker with LED's. Lamp circuit is similar to the later Bally 6803 games which typically don't have flicker.

#6 5 years ago

A previous owner LEDed my game before I bought it. I'm not sure what bulbs they specifically used, but there is no flicker or ghosting.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Babypacs don't have flicker with LED's. Lamp circuit is similar to the later Bally 6803 games which typically don't have flicker.

Is the reason they dont flicker because of the multiplexing of the SCRs or the speed the CPU updates the lamp states??? The SCRs are the same ones on early bally games that do not latch properly at the current used by a single LED. I would assume LEDs would flicker in 6803 games like they do in -35 games (really bad).

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Is the reason they dont flicker because of the multiplexing of the SCRs or the speed the CPU updates the lamp states??? The SCRs are the same ones on early bally games that do not latch properly at the current used by a single LED. I would assume LEDs would flicker in 6803 games like they do in -35 games (really bad).

The 6803 games (and Baby Pac) use a single SCR to control 2 discrete lamps. Using AC voltage 1 lamp is controlled during the positive half wave of the AC and a second lamp is controlled during the negative half wave of the AC.
Most of the 6803 games work fine with LED's, but apparently a few don't behave. I have done BW100, strange science, and a few more successfully, however the Special Forces I just did had issues, had to swap to a different brand to get them to work correctly.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

The 6803 games (and Baby Pac) use a single SCR to control 2 discrete lamps. Using AC voltage 1 lamp is controlled during the positive half wave of the AC and a second lamp is controlled during the negative half wave of the AC.
Most of the 6803 games work fine with LED's, but apparently a few don't behave. I have done BW100, Strange Science, and a few more successfully, however the Special Forces I just did had issues, had to swap to a different brand to get them to work correctly.

The dual phase must be increasing the current high enough to keep the SCR latched in most cases.

#10 4 years ago

I get random flickers on mine. But, I think they are cheap LED's and wiggle when the flippers move?

#11 4 years ago

I have been installing LED in a couple -35 games this week and I found that some LED's do not flicker and some are horrible. It seems some of the colored LED draw more current than others. All the various types of white led all produced flicker.
Give it a try, if they flicker just solder a 470Ω resistor across the socket and it will clear up. Let us know how it works out. I have a baby pac I want to led eventually.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 157.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Port St. Lucie, FL
$ 103.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside