Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190131_175610.jpg
20190131_175548.jpg
20190131_175500.jpg
20190131_175440.jpg
#1 5 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Second_flash

Voltages all within tolerance at test points on the MPU.

I get the flicker then two flashes. Replaced the socket and the 5101 - no change. Also tested the continuity points suggested in the pinwiki link - all check out good.

Swapped out known good ICs for all socketed chips (except the game ROMs) as well.

All I haven't done yet is replace the 4011 at U19 as it's suggested that could be a long shot problem.

The Vidiot appears to be working in that I can get the video test to run at least.

Lastly, FWIW, Eldorado games had repaired this back in 94 and verified it's a baby pac MPU (sticker and their tag on the board).

Suggestions?

#2 5 years ago

Bueller?

Bueller??

Bueller???

#3 5 years ago

Are you booting the MPU in the game or at a lab bench? Maybe take off all but J4 to see if that impacts how the MPU is booting up? Are you sure the replacement 5101 chip is good? I like NVRAM in these cases as it rules out one possible issue.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Are you booting the MPU in the game or at a lab bench? Maybe take off all but J4 to see if that impacts how the MPU is booting up? Are you sure the replacement 5101 chip is good? I like NVRAM in these cases as it rules out one possible issue.

Booting in both Baby and in my Strikes and Spares using only J4. All socketed chips swapped from working Strikes and Spares, including the 5101. Also had an NVRAM replacement for 5101. No difference.

Turns out the R113 still had the resistor installed, and not a diode. Diode installed, no change. Rested R11, tested fine and and 5+ was getting to U8. Replaced ,U14 U17 and U18 in case damaged by the R113 snafu. No change. Also hit the entire underside of the board with the heat gun in case it was a cold joint I was missing. No change.

#5 5 years ago

sounds pretty much ruled out everything but a bad IC socket, open trace, or maybe a soldering mistake on the new work you just did

verify continuity of all address and data pins from 5101 back to the cpu chip

verify the chip enable, and output disable go back to where they should

beep continuity mode on the dmm

#6 5 years ago

Check for shorts by the IC sockets. I once had a very small solder short across two traces under a socket. I couldn't see it and found it doing continuity checks.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

sounds pretty much ruled out everything but a bad IC socket, open trace, or maybe a soldering mistake on the new work you just did
verify continuity of all address and data pins from 5101 back to the cpu chip
verify the chip enable, and output disable go back to where they should
beep continuity mode on the dmm

I've already tested, twice now, the continuity points on the chart in the link in the first post. Seems like that covers everywhere U8 goes, correct?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Check for shorts by the IC sockets. I once had a very small solder short across two traces under a socket. I couldn't see it and found it doing continuity checks.

Yup. Must be one of those dumbass "Oh, THERE you are!" things. Grrr. . .

#9 5 years ago

Might be best to take a few in-focus close-up pictures of your board, front and back so everyone knows what you're working with. Sometimes people can pick things out from the photos even.

#10 5 years ago

Was the MPU like this when you got or was it working and then broke? As usual, check all of the previous work very well. Have you tried new ROM eproms?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Might be best to take a few in-focus close-up pictures of your board, front and back so everyone knows what you're working with. Sometimes people can pick things out from the photos even.

Will likely do shortly.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Was the MPU like this when you got or was it working and then broke? As usual, check all of the previous work very well. Have you tried new ROM eproms?

Not a lot of work on it - jumpers were added since, IIRC 32 ROMs are on there now instead of the original 16s. Eldorado Games had worked on it back in 94 and gave it the OK - but I found the resistor where the diode should have been so this does not fill me with confidence.

As far as the new EPROMs - no as they are tested during one of the first two flashes already, and, thus, pass.

EDIT: Just realized I've not tried replacing U19, as suggested in my initial post. Derp. Will do this as well and report back.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from BabyPac:

Eldorado Games had worked on it back in 94 and gave it the OK

Hard to believe, but 1994 was 25 years ago and a lot can change in that amount of time. I should have asked the obvious - how is the battery acid damage? I've seen all sorts of weird behavior due to acid damage in weird ways, such as causing a via to go open.

#14 5 years ago

Replacing U19 - no change. So, I started to measure voltages going to U19. The 3vdc was only registering at about 1.9v. Followed that back to R136, which was showing 1.9v at each end. Continued to follow to pin 5 of the 6800 - also 1.9v.

Does the 6800 produce this regulated voltage that's falling short of the 3 that is probably required to get the memory write enabled or it produced elsewhere on the board. I see the 3VDC elsewhere in the schems but can't determine where it's generated. I see .3VDC by Q5 and 3.6 by BT1 as well - but presume that's the battery voltage there.

Jumping the "lower" end of R6 to TP7 gets me to 2.9v and board boots and game plays about 90% of the time. Jumpered 5V TP to TP7 and game boots and plays - only did this once as I feared it would damage something with prolonged use. Perhaps adding a resistor to this jumper to get me just over 3v?

#15 5 years ago

Pics. Anything obvious?

20190131_175440.jpg20190131_175440.jpg20190131_175500.jpg20190131_175500.jpg20190131_175548.jpg20190131_175548.jpg20190131_175610.jpg20190131_175610.jpg
#16 5 years ago

The U6 EEPROM has a partially exposed window where the sticker pulled back. Maybe the ROM is corrupted?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

The U6 EEPROM has a partially exposed window where the sticker pulled back. Maybe the ROM is corrupted?

ROMs are tested prior to the 3rd flash, so should be good.

*throws up hands and orders Ultimate MPU*

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-two-flashes-then-hangs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.