Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08880.JPG
DSC08878.JPG
DSC08879.JPG
DSC08876.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Looking for input- I can apply the playfield overlay for this, but would like to attempt my first playfield restoration, and clear coating with my HVLP or maybe just a rattle can as its small.....what paints are you guys using Createx or liquitex? Are they the opaque or transparent? or both? Thanks!

DSC08876.JPGDSC08876.JPG DSC08879.JPGDSC08879.JPG DSC08878.JPGDSC08878.JPG

#2 11 years ago

It can be done. I restored a baby Pac in worse shape then that one. First make sure you clean, clean, and clean some more with Naphtha. Clean small areas at a time and keep using clean rags so you do not penetrate more dirt and old playfield wax into the pores. I used Car pinstripe tape to create clean lines for painting edges. The brand of acrylic paint is not as important as the color. Do not buy transparent. If you have to mix colors to get a match, make sure you mix enough to finish the job without having to make more, because you are not likely to get a match twice.

I can not remember the brand of clear coat I used, but It was a can. I applied light coats with dry time in between. I happen to be skilled at art in general so, ymmv. If you are patient with little artistic skill you should still be able to do it as well. If it turns out bad you can always do the overlay. Good luck!

#3 11 years ago

The cleaning is very important, because any amount of old wax is going to cause the clear to fisheye (create perfect craters where the clear dose not adhere)

#4 11 years ago

Thanks Pen,
I did drill it with novus 3 then 2 last night, I have a can of Naptha in my van too, I'll give it a nice wipe down when I get my paints ordered and Im ready to start the paint work.

#5 11 years ago

If you are able to use a use a sprayer instead of a can you can add fisheye remover to the clear. This will greatly reduce your chances of those issues.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Looking for input- I can apply the playfield overlay for this, but would like to attempt my first playfield restoration, and clear coating with my HVLP or maybe just a rattle can as its small.....what paints are you guys using Createx or liquitex? Are they the opaque or transparent? or both? Thanks!

See if Brian (the guy you bought your RFM from) still has his extra playfield and/or overlay. I have his BabyPac at my house right now, but I know at one time he had some extra parts for it (including a PF or overlay, or both)...

#7 11 years ago

i have a baby pac man playfield somewhere in my basement if you need another - it has everything under it - or most of it - thanks ed

#8 11 years ago

DSC08880.JPGDSC08880.JPGDSC08880.JPGDSC08880.JPGI picked up a bunch of Liquitex acrylic tubes from the store today so Im committed to redoing the artwork and clearcoating, this playfield is a spare I just picked bought from another pinsider, my machine is still together and playable so I can take my time doing this.

What is the best product to fill any recessed areas?

#9 11 years ago

Sweet! Post pics in this thread as you progress. This is the tape I used to create perfect lines or curves.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MOL1O6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Sweet! Post pics in this thread as you progress. This is the tape I used to create perfect lines or curves.

Will do, my paint store carries that blue scotch tape, wow $11 I think I can get a roll for $6 at Hallman Lindsay.

*Question*
Filling small recessed areas, any specific product? Can I use any elmers/carpenter glue?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Will do, my paint store carries that blue scotch tape, wow $11 I think I can get a roll for $6 at Hallman Lindsay.
*Question*
Filling small recessed areas, any specific product? Can I use any elmers/carpenter glue?

I am a huge fan of this product for recessed areas- http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-pol-dolphin-glaze-finishing-putty-p-15125.aspx

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have his BabyPac at my house right now,

What are you doing shopping that baby pac? Thanks for the link for that filler!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

What are you doing shopping that baby pac? Thanks for the link for that filler!

He was having some issues with his Granny and Baby Pac... I got the Granny fixed, and now just waiting on his Vidiot board so I can see what is wrong with his Baby Pac. It is shopped cosmetically, it just needs some electrical/mechanical love now.

He is a good friend of mine, and will often leave games here months at a time so I can go through them and play them for awhile...

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

He is a good friend of mine, and will often leave games here months at a time so I can go through them and play them for awhile...

Good deal, I just met him briefly when I grabbed RFM from him, my one buddy that lives right by me, Dave Gott***** knows him too somehow, they may work at Quad together or something? I dunno...thanks again for the input, just ordered that dolphin filler and a 2k speed urethane kit from a site.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

*Question*

This is a much different product then your typical 6$ blue scotch tape. It is 1/8'' wide and can shape around curved and straight objects with little effort and without all of the excess tape you do not need. its sole purpose it to create clean lines, not to mask. It is a time saver and a quality improver. Unless Hallman Lindsay carries the same product for 6$... then, nevermind what I just said.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

It is 1/8'' wide and can shape around curved and straight objects with little effort and without all of the excess tape you do not need. its sole purpose it to create clean lines, not to mask. It is a time saver and a quality improver. Unless Hallman Lindsay carries the same product for 6$... then, nevermind what I just said.

Point taken, Hallman does have some really thin rolls for striping walls and such that are special as in the dont bleed under the edge, there is also an auto paint store right by it, Ill check it out.

#18 11 years ago

sorry to add to this thread but somebody responded they have an interest in the baby pac man playfield i have and just wanted to post the pictures for him. if he doesn't want it then it's for sale for cheap money - thanks ed

// Error: Image 81902 not found // // Error: Image 81903 not found // // Error: Image 81904 not found //

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

sorry to add to this thread

Yeah, yeah, you just wanted to show your cool classic convertible off

#20 11 years ago

hopefully i just deleted that - it seemed easy as i hit the x next to it - playfield is sold - just have to figure out how to get it to him. thanks ed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-restoring-playfield-need-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.