(Topic ID: 286246)

Baby Pac-Man Vidiot keeps rebooting...

By JT-Pinball

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jj44114.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago

I think it’s the power diodes where the 12v comes in. I think there are three. Lower left corner of the board.

#4 3 years ago

If the video controller is failing(tms9928) it would that too.

#5 3 years ago

As your last resort I do repair these boards.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

How about I pay you for your time and you help me out if I get in a jam? The fun of this for me is bringing life back into these games I loved as a kid for my kids and there kids to enjoy. The more I learn the easier it is for me to do that. Thanks for all your help on Pinside! Its nice having folks like you here.

Lets try to solve it on here first.

#13 3 years ago

It always helps to post clear closeup pics of the board here. We might see a problem.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I am by no means even an intermediate level repair guy when it comes to pin boards. That said, one thing I look for first, is stable 5v and 12v. When I hear reboot, that’s what I immediately think. A simple multimeter can check both. Too low 5v and the MPU can act up. Many times the capacitors that provide a stable flow of power just wear out.
Additionally, any chance I get to reflow connectors, I do as well. Tends to fix many ghosts in the machine....
One final thing. If you have the original MPU in the machine, i hope it doesn’t still have the original battery on it, does it?
- My MPU was destroyed when I bought my machine years ago and I put in an ultimate MPU.
If you don’t have this, a great reference tool as well.
http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/babypac.htm
Go with jj44114 suggestions first though, much more knowledgeable on boards than I am!

I agree on the 5v for the video section. Might be failing. Power on, let it sit, see how hot the regulator gets.

#19 3 years ago

You said " If I reboot it it would flash twice and stop". Based on that I think the audio portion, including its voltage regulator(VR2)is ok. Focus on VR1 checking voltage at test point 2. It's the one that supplies 5v to to the video section of the board.

#20 3 years ago

you can also remove U16 and power on for a while to see if the board still crashes. If its a regulator problem it probably will.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jj44114.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-vidiot-keeps-rebooting?tu=jj44114 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.