Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180904_065714 (resized).jpg
20180904_080109 (resized).jpg
20180904_065705 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Ahoy Pinheads,

I am working on a Vidiot board where someone cut some traces THEN added jumpers.
See the pics. Why was this done? Can I just repair the traces and get rid of the wires or was
this done for a reason that I am not aware of?

Thank you for your time,

milton

20180904_065705 (resized).jpg20180904_065705 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Once a trace is cut, it’s really difficult to fix without creating some sort of jumper. Flowing solder over a broken trace only works for very small cracks in traces. That said, the Frankenstein fix your picture shows is crazy! Be very careful, vidiot boards are quite rare, it give it a shot, I would say.

#3 5 years ago

Ahoy alexanr1,

The repair part is not a problem. I have everything necessary to do the job. I'm just wondering why someone cut all the traces only to run jumpers?
Was this an "upgrade" that is not well documented or used non-standard roms and then went back?

Going over the board I found many problem. Two pins on a couple of chips were not making continuity. A few caps and transistors bad. A couple of other traces that did not ohm out. I have repaired everything except the above. I will replace the remaining couple of sockets but I would like repair the original traces and get rid of the cold soldered jumpers. When I received this board for repair it was missing most of the important chips but still had the ones pictured above. It had previous repair. Some sockets were replaced. When they replaced the sockets they removed a few pads and did not check for continuity. See the other pic.

I think I will repair the traces and see what happens.

Milty

20180904_065714 (resized).jpg20180904_065714 (resized).jpg20180904_080109 (resized).jpg20180904_080109 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

There is no reason to cut and jumper this board.

However, the pads are quite fragile, and sockets go bad, so sometimes you can find jumper wires on the back if there is a continuity problem.

#5 5 years ago

I did not think so either. Any idea why someone would do it? And the very last trace still had continuity!
Yeah, the pads are fragile. I have replacements. Usually don't lift any with the new Hakko desoldering gun!

I will be posting later on the MPU that came with it. Scary repairs and fixes everywhere. But at least the fixes were fixes!
This Vidiot board has a lot of repairs that are not repairs! I guess that is why it's here......

B

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-traces-cut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.