View topic image gallery

baby_pac_FIXED.JPG
short2.JPG
short1.JPG
Screen_Shot_2013-06-03_at_2.56.16_PM.png
comm_test.JPG
blown-fuse.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Game is completely playable, but has some lighting display issues I'm trying to troubleshoot.

The problems:

- In attract mode, the lights don't sequence the way they should. First video, my machine (Half way through the video, I switch to lamp test mode to show that all the lights are working.) Second video, what a Baby Pac-Man in attract mode SHOULD do.

- One of the under-playfield fuses (see photo) blows immediately on start up, but game is playable anyhow (with wonky lights).

- Unrelated to the lighting (I think), but the tilt mechanism doesn't work. Plumb bob is there and is wired up, but doesn't do anything when shorted.

I'd appreciate any help in tracking down the problem. Thanks!

blown-fuse.jpgblown-fuse.jpg

#2 10 years ago

You may have a shorted socket or diode. I would look at the baby pac grid underneath. Start with
the "N" 3rd row bottom. It's not lit during the light strobe. Check to make sure the diodes are
attached as they should be. Most importantly. Use a meter to see if they are working correctly
or not. Put in diode test and test to ensure they only work one way. Start with replacing the diode
on the 3rd row "N" to see what happens. I think there's an issue here somewhere. Also make sure
nothing is grounding out here. I think the diodes are 1N4001 or 1N4004. I forget. They can be standard diodes Black/silver banded. They don't have to be orange original style

#3 10 years ago

Definitely a short if you are blowing that fuse. The lamp matrix has an A phase and a B phase. The fuses under the playfield are for each phase (and one for the solenoid buss), so with one blown you should not have all lamps working in lamp test.

#4 10 years ago

Great info. Thanks!

I removed and replaced the 3rd row N diode -- no change. All lamps were flashing in lamp test even with the N diode pulled out.

Retested all lamp diodes with DMM and nothing looked bad. .0L one way, ~0.5 the other.

Did a quick DMM continuity test from all the lamp wires (where they attach to the lamp) to the ground. No apparent tones/problems.

All the wires/diodes appear to be firmly attached underneath.

Worth disconnecting connectors from the driver board to help isolate the problem?

How do you test if a lamp socket is bad/shorted? (or did my continuity test cover this already?)

#5 10 years ago

Do you see what you should with the communication test?

#6 10 years ago

Do you see what you should with the communication test?

You mean this test screen? Looks OK according to the manual.

comm_test.JPGcomm_test.JPG Screen_Shot_2013-06-03_at_2.56.16_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2013-06-03_at_2.56.16_PM.png

#7 10 years ago

Yep looks good. I still go back to the fact that all the lamps work with a blown fuse. In theory about half of the lamps shouldn't work if one of the fuses are blown since that is what feeds power to the lamps. I have also found when testing the lamp circuit that sometimes having the lamp installed can give false readings.

#8 10 years ago

I completely disconnected the lamp driver board to make sure it wasn't affecting things.

If I set my meter on continuity and clip a lead to each side of the blown fuse, I get a tone. That's not supposed to happen if the machine is off, right? If I remove the other fuse (the good one), the tone goes away.. so those two lines are definitely crossed somewhere.

Hm.. So what's the best way to isolate circuits and narrow my search?

Could I desolder each lamp wire one at a time until the DMM tone stops?

Remove all the lamps and retest the diodes?

Thanks for the help!

#9 10 years ago

Probably should go back to square one. Has it ever worked properly? Or is this something you don't know the history on and are trying to get up and running?

#10 10 years ago

I've had the game for 8 years or so. The lights used to work fine. Can't recall exactly when things went bad, but it may have been the last time I moved (a couple years ago). The tilt never worked.

Just bought my first full-size machine which motivated me to learn more about pinball repair.. and fixing my Baby Pac-Man is turning out to be a great learning experience.

There were three lamps out that I was able to narrow down to a driver board issue. Fixed the problem yesterday by replacing the two related SCRs.

Now that all the lights come on, it's just a matter of finding the short.. and fixing the tilt. =)

#11 10 years ago

Trouble shooting 101 - What was the last thing I messed with before the new problem arose. While changing out the lamps you have to be careful to make sure none of the sockets are touching, easy to do on baby pac. Go back and check and double check visually. If that all looks good find the prints, figure out which phase has an issue and verify every socket.

#12 10 years ago

Woohoo! Found the short!

I was just about to start unsoldering things when it occurred to me that maybe the problem is not that a wire/lamp is shorted to the ground.. but maybe the ground from one fuse/circuit is shorted to the other. I inspected every inch of the stapled ground line and finally found the problem hidden behind the drop target assembly.

There are two ground wires running across the playfield here.. I traced them back and realized that they lead to different fuses.. but they were touching. Separating the wires got rid of the short.

Weird because it didn't blatantly look like those wires were intended to be spaced apart. There was no staple holding the bottom wire away from other. I saw a little nub of what might have been a staple once, but there was no second hole in indicate that a staple used to be there. I'm guessing it was mis-stapled in manufacturing and eventually (30 years later) the half-staple gave way.

I really appreciate when people document their pinball repairs, so I posted a video in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

short1.JPGshort1.JPG short2.JPGshort2.JPG

#13 10 years ago

I think the hard part is done, the attract sequence plays as it should, but I see some of the lights aren't activating.

The lamp diodes test OK. I know the lights are good because they lit up prior to fixing the short. I'm guessing that I need to replace more SCRs on the driver board. Thoughts?

#14 10 years ago

It looks like you have some work to do on the lamp driver board. Remember that one SCR will run two lamps, this is accomplished by the two different phase buss' (the ones you found touching). Great work on getting it fixed.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks Marc. Your A/B phase info was a big help.

Just got done swapping out 5 new SCRs on the driver board for those lights that aren't working. Didn't help. Diodes still test OK.

#16 10 years ago

Check for bad pins in the connectors at the lamp board and reflow ALL the pins on the lamp board if it hasn't already been done.

#17 10 years ago

I tested continuity between each pins and it's related SCR. All tested OK. Didn't bother to resolder it.

Went back and checked the obvious.. which, in hindsight, I should have done to begin with. I must have loosened a bunch of things while hunting down the short.

- one lamp was blown (was working fine 24 hours ago *shrug*) — replaced
- the ground line solder had broken free from one lamp bracket — re-soldered
- one lamp fixture was not solidly connected to one of the terminals — reseated

.. and ALL the lights work! Even went back and replaced all the dim bulbs to even out the appearance. Thanks again for all the advice!

Now to give it a good cleaning then figure out the tilt issue. Does the tilt work on your Baby Pac, Marc?

baby_pac_FIXED.JPGbaby_pac_FIXED.JPG

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:

Does the tilt work on your Baby Pac, Marc?

It does.

10 years later
#19 7 months ago

cheezywhiz I know this is a really old thread, but I am curious if you might recall what you did about getting the sequence correct on the lamps on the playfield in attract mode? I have replaced diodes, SCR's and all lights work perfect in lamp test mode. Go into attract mode and the sequence is not right, and the "N" in the 3rd row on the bottom doesn't light at all, but it does in lamp test mode. I am losing it here. Lol. ANY help appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-lighting-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.