Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lights (resized).PNG
74514 (resized).PNG
IMG_9830 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230130-225452.png
#1 1 year ago

Hello Folks! I'm having a problem trying to get all the feature lamps working on my Baby Pac-man. I'm stumped on this one. I tested all the lamp outputs on the lamp driver board (J1, J2, or J3) and they are all good. Replaced all the SCRs that won't light with MCR106-6.. all the same lamps still don't light.(I can short the lower leg to ground and both lamps will light that are controlled by that SCR) I've socketed and replaced the U1 and U2 4514 Decoder chips. I repinned J4 on the lamp/solonoid Combo driver board. All the connectors on the MPU are repinned and replaced. Wondering if the problem is on the MPU and not the lamp driver board.
When I first got it, all the feature lamps were working. I can't figure out what may have changed that would affect it since then.
This video link is showing how it is currently working with the missing lamps.

Any Ideas for help would be great!
Thanks

#2 1 year ago

I'm thinking this could be a playfield issue given an the board work that's been done. Looking at the schematic, I see two 10-amp fuses, one for each of the 2 lamp strobes...blown fuse perhaps?

Screenshot_20230130-225452.pngScreenshot_20230130-225452.png

Unfortunately that video is apparently private (or my browser won't open it)...

#3 1 year ago

I've checked those fuses. I don't think it's a playfield issue. There's power going to all the feature lamps. And I can get them to light up by grounding the lower leg of the SCR that controls each lamp. I've also done the light test that's described here https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Testing_Lamp_Driver_SCRs

Plus since I changed out the decoder chips at U1 and U2, I'm thinking the signal is getting hung up somewhere before the lamp/ solonoid driver board..
I also changed the video to unlisted instead of private, so if you could let me know if you can view it now, that would be awesome.
Thanks

#4 1 year ago

I was able to see the video this time. You're right--def doesn't sound like a playfield problem at this point. Looking over the schematics, the next thing I guess could possibly be the 6820/6821 PIA at U10 on the MPU.

If it's socketed, you may be able to swap it with U11 and see if the problem moves with the chip.

#5 1 year ago

I was thinking along those lines, and after you said it, I swapped the chips. Same outcome. I had an extra 6821 lying around so I put that in. I also swapped the same chip from U7 on the vidiot board. Still the same outcome. I made a diagram of the non-working lamps and their respective SCRs. Everything hi-lighted is a non working lamp with the exception of the middle arrows which seem to be on but extremely dim.

IMG_9830 (resized).jpgIMG_9830 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

I'm just a novice, so take this for whatever it's worth, but you're seeing exactly half of the lamps work, so it seems like it is probably a single address digit of the lamp addresses on the MPU that is failing.
Based on the things you already ruled out, I'd check the header pins (MPU-J1, LampDriver-J4 ) for cracked solder, and then grab a logic probe with the schematic and start chasing why AD1 might be STUCK. Note that my theory does not perfectly line up with the schematic (maybe your left spinner bulb is burnt out?), but it seemed significant enough that it was worth mentioning.

74514 (resized).PNG74514 (resized).PNG

lights (resized).PNGlights (resized).PNG
#7 1 year ago

Thanks for all your help! Using my logic probe, I found that even though I re-pinned all of J1 on the MPU, pin 14 for AD1 must not have been fully pushed in. After pushing the pin in with the probe, I got a reading with a pulse! Looked at the playfield and saw the other half of the feature lamps flashing! As for the left spinner arrow, the lamp socket was kind of mangled. Most likely bc the location is in a very tight spot. I fiddled with the lamp socket and replaced the diode. Then noticed that tunnel "L" wasn't working as well. So I replaced Q4 on the lamp driver board and low and behold... all of the feature lamps are working as they should!
Thank You

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-feature-lamps-only-half-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.