View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2013-06-14_at_3.19.22_PM.png
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg
photo_copy_2.JPG

#1 10 years ago

Fix one problem, discover another.

I finally got around to removing the factory battery from the MPU and installing a remote battery holder.

Before:
game 100% playable
high scores/audit data all OK
tilt not functioning

After:
game 100% playable
tilt now works! (probably due to cleaning up the corrosion on the PCB jumper)
high scores / audit data are corrupted

If I remove the battery.. wait a few minutes.. replace the battery and boot up, I expect to see a factory fresh high score table and no audit data. BUT, the high score table is a bunch of corrupt junk and the audits show ridiculous numbers.. like 2 million replays awarded.

If I play a game, it registers my score into the high score table just fine. It even maintains the scores when powering off and on.

Oh, I should also mention that if I power off and pull the battery to reset the high scores.. the next time I power on, I get completely different scores in the table. It's not consistent.

Anyone have a suggestion before I order new chips/ram or start testing traces?

photo_copy_2.JPGphoto_copy_2.JPG

#2 10 years ago

That is the way I've always seen a baby pac work. Don't think you have any issues.

#3 10 years ago

Wish I could help. For a number of play related issues, I replaced my control board with a new after market board with the mega-memory chip (no more batteries ever!) and play, tilt, high score board all work - scores held after shut down, appear high to low, etc. I'm going to follow this post hoping to learn something more about my machine. Good luck.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

That is the way I've always seen a baby pac work. Don't think you have any issues.

Heh! Really? One time the machine started up with an 800,000 high score.

Is there a trick to clearing out the scores?

#5 10 years ago

Alright.. I figured out a relatively painless way to do this.

1) Hit service button until high scores screen appears.
2) Press "2 Player Start" button until arrow moves to the bottom score.
3) Press (and hold) "1 Player Start" button.. the score will go up by 10k every second.
4) Press (and hold) the service button until the score starts going DOWN by 10k every second.. then let go of the service button. (I jumpered the Player 1 button wires so that I didn't have to hold the button manually -- photo 1)
5) When the current score goes below 0, it will loop back up to 9,999,999, but the high score list re-sorts automatically and the arrow will now be counting down the next score in the list. (Photo 2)
6) Walk away for 10 minutes and come back to check on the progress. Remove the jumper when all scores are in the 9million range.
7) Now manually select each score and nudge it up by 10k or until goes back over 9,999,999. All done! (Photo 3)

High scores are now all in a reasonable range and working normally.

IMG_1514.jpgIMG_1514.jpg IMG_1517.jpgIMG_1517.jpg IMG_1519.jpgIMG_1519.jpg

#6 10 years ago

If memory serves you can also zero any of the scores or audits by pressing SW33 (I think that is correct) on the MPU.

#7 10 years ago

Yep. I cleared mine out as you showed, made a remote battery pack, and it's been working great.

#8 10 years ago

If memory serves you can also zero any of the scores or audits by pressing SW33 (I think that is correct) on the MPU.

Ah. Thanks!! I see that in the manual now. Didn't notice it yesterday.

SW33 does the trick! It resets the values on any audit screen. Every click on the high scores screen reduces all scores by 500. Got them all to 0 now. Also reset the total number of plays and replays (which were in the millions, heh).

I'm factory fresh now.

Screen_Shot_2013-06-14_at_3.19.22_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2013-06-14_at_3.19.22_PM.png

1 year later
#9 8 years ago

As an update to this thread, here is how I ended up clearing the high scores. I have an original Alltek MPU board, and the aforementioned ways did not work.

Push service button inside coin door.
Advance to high score screen.
On the MPU, towards bottom right, is the SW3 (clear) switch. Press that a bunch of times to clear out all the scores.
Advance to each subsequent screen and clear the values with the SW3 switch until you see "SLAM".
Done

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 199.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-corrupt-high-scores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.