Baby Pac Man communication woes

By Zsuttle

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi all,
I've been working on a baby pac that I picked up earlier this year. I've successfully gotten the Vidiot board to boot, giving 10 flashes. I've also gotten the MPU to boot giving the 6 flashes. The harness on the mpu and vidiot board has been gone through, with new connectors and header pins. I'm not getting anything on the communications test at all, no numbers in either column. I'm getting continuity between the mpu and vidiot for all of the connectors. All three PIAs on the MPU/Vidiot have been tested, and were swapped anyways. Both U1 and U2 on the vidiot were removed tested, and swapped anyways. There aren't any stuck lines between the MPU and vidiot besides 5,6,15 (vidiot side) which are all control signals. Assuming that the Latch Input Data signal does what I think it does, the line is stuck high, and won't load data into the registers. I'm not sure where to troubleshoot next as these control signals are generated directly from the PIA (Assuming I read it correctly) Any helpful advice? and does anyone have a good explanation as to how the communication test actually works, which control signals are nessecary, and where the test starts from?

#2 1 year ago

There's a section in the manual about the theory of operation that might help.

It lists the main chips involved with the communications test--I would check all those chips if you haven't already, and any 7400 series chips that they may touch.

#3 1 year ago

The manual is kind of vague when it talks about the control signals, but I did give it a reread.
All TTL/CMOS logic U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, U6, U35 have been socketed and replaced. I changed U20 on the MPU board as well. I did continuity checks, just to verify nothing was broken, and it checked out. Still at a loss where to go next

#4 1 year ago

Hold the board up to a bright light and check for broken traces.

#5 1 year ago

Try swapping U8 with a known good one. Also check it’s socket( logic probe inputs and outputs.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Hold the board up to a bright light and check for broken traces.

I already did continuity checks around the whole area on the vidiot board and mpu, didn't see anything broken.

Quoted from jj44114:

Try swapping U8 with a known good one. Also check it’s socket( logic probe inputs and outputs.

I don't have another 6809, I'll have to order one. I changed the socket, and did continuity checks from the CPU to the surrounding areas and didn't notice anything.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Zsuttle:

I already did continuity checks around the whole area on the vidiot board and mpu, didn't see anything broken.

I don't have another 6809, I'll have to order one. I changed the socket, and did continuity checks from the CPU to the surrounding areas and didn't notice anything.

I believe the communication all starts from the MPU side, with J1:5 & 6 (which would normally be display digit enable lines). MPU J1:5 is triggered to activate the Status data bits on the Vidiot (I think only 3 & 4 are used), and those let the MPU know if it should look for data on the Video Output Data lines (which are on the switch returns). Reading that data clears it.

Anyway, my point being: if you don't see any data on MPU J1:5, I don't think anything is going to happen. I would backtrack that signal to MPU U11 and see if it's ever doing anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-man-communication-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.